Corsair Community

commander pro and splitters

Lazybum

Going to be ordering a new case soon, going to get the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL, plan is for 3 120mm on top, 3 on bottom, 3 on side and 1 in back ontop of having another 3 where ever i put the 360mm corsair aio for push/pull config as well as the 3 i have installed onto my cabinet i have current case sitting. So by my count that is 16 fans and commander prob only has 2 led channels so i figure i would at least need 2 to get all the LEDs working and that would offer power for 12 fans.

1. Would using splitters on some of the fan plug ins to power the other 4 be a bad idea?

2. Do i even need 2 commander pros?

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Going to be ordering a new case soon, going to get the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL, plan is for 3 120mm on top, 3 on bottom, 3 on side and 1 in back ontop of having another 3 where ever i put the 360mm corsair aio for push/pull config as well as the 3 i have installed onto my cabinet i have current case sitting. So by my count that is 16 fans and commander prob only has 2 led channels so i figure i would at least need 2 to get all the LEDs working and that would offer power for 12 fans.

1. Would using splitters on some of the fan plug ins to power the other 4 be a bad idea?

Hi, I've taken the same case a couple of months ago.

First of all, if you wish to make a push/pull configuration with the AIO mounted on top, look carefully for the clearance, I'm not so sure it's possible. By the way, a push/pull configuration would not give you such a boost performance as one could expect with Corsair's AIOs.

I've done a push/pull with my H150i, but mounting it in the side slot... and the 3 RGB fans in sight are set @300rpm, as I keep them just for esthetic.

Secondly... CoPro is not meant to manage directly the RGB part of fans, you need a Lighting Node Pro for that. RGB fans come with two cables, one for rpm (to be plugged into the CoPro) and one for RGB (to be plugged into the LNP). Then there is a cable that comes out from the LNP and it's meant to be plugged into the LED port of the CoPro, so every CoPro can support up to 2 LNPs.

Visit Corsair website and look for a 3-fans pack... if you look at the photos you'll see how a LNP is made.

So, if you decide to go for 16 RGB fans, you'll need at least 2 CoPros (each can control 6 fans, but using Y splitters you can manage up to 9 fans each, above is a risky configuration adviced against by Corsair itself as well as using 3-ways fan splitters) and 3 LNPs. Check carefully as this LianLi case has narrow spaces in the "hidden" part... I've managed to install 1 CoPro and 2 LNPs and there's is not so much space left for the rest (and I've also removed both HD cages). Consider also that every CoPro and LNP has a SATA header for power, so cable management is something to be planned carefully.

If you like, I can post a couple of photos.

Good work!

Baio

Edited by Baio

$220 for the case after taxes then $534 for 10 fans and commander pro, lol

Well, I suppose everyone is free to spend the money he earns the way he likes... don’t you?

I have payed the case in Europe less you wrote...

Baio

Just a quick note here: You need the RGB Fan LED Hub - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020 for the Commander Pro which is included in some of the dual or triple fan packs, not the Lighting Node Pro, which is also included in the multi-fan packs.

Example: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/RGB-%26-LED-Fans/ml-pro-rgb-config/p/CO-9050076-WW#tab-package-contents

Your CoPro includes a fan controller and the function of the Lighting Node Pro, but the RGB wires from the fan can't be directly connected to the CoPro, they must go to the RGB hub first and then to the CoPro

lots of ways to do this.. i suggest reading my Faq

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

For a start you dont need multple Commander Pro's, a single Commander Pro would be fine for your needs.. much cheaper and indeed easier to control if using PWM repeater hubs..such as

Click me for Corsair PWM repeater

you have 4 groups of 3 fans.. could use one of those on each group and have them on the Commander Pro. meaning each group of 3 would appear as a single fan in iCUE.

also

RGB Fan LED Hubs.. you could use Pirate Dog Techs RGB Fan LED Hub Splitters. this allows you to run more than one hub per LED channel..

Click me for Pirate Dog Tech Hub Splitter

and example of my single Commander Pro controlled 32 Fan setup

http://i.imgur.com/Q2bE2bml.jpg

which is house in a 1000D

http://i.imgur.com/QaRuyIsl.jpg

Just a quick note here: You need the RGB Fan LED Hub - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020 for the Commander Pro which is included in some of the dual or triple fan packs, not the Lighting Node Pro, which is also included in the multi-fan packs.

Example: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/RGB-%26-LED-Fans/ml-pro-rgb-config/p/CO-9050076-WW#tab-package-contents

Your CoPro includes a fan controller and the function of the Lighting Node Pro, but the RGB wires from the fan can't be directly connected to the CoPro, they must go to the RGB hub first and then to the CoPro

Right, my mistake!

Baio

I have a similar setup, same case but 10 fans.

Some of your options are dependant on the fans. A fan is not a fan is a fan, they all have different power draws. I run 10 fans off my CP 3 per channel and a lone fan all by himself. I use 3x1 splitters. Each channel has 1A of power max draw, my Fans are ML120 Pro RGB and have less than .3A draw per fan.

Due to me being well under the 1A draw I can split to 3 fans per channel, however some fans can have significantly higher draw, meaning you can only run 2 per channel or move to a repeater as outlined above. Understands the specs, and the draw per fan, the rest is just some math.

Side note, you will love that case! but man does it fill up fast once you start added rads, fans, GPU etc. I also run the vertical GPU kit so that really fills up space in a hurry!

3 per channel

You may not have had an issue but i have helped plenty that have when using triple splitters even when they have been within power draw limitations.. just not worth the risk imho.

again,, i recommend PWM repeater hubs over PWM splitters when you want to head over 9 fans on a Commander Pro,

I would also be wary of the triple splitter on the Commander Pro. I have 12-15 different ones and whether it is functional is highly variable. Furthermore, ones that appear to work fine will then start misbehaving, not following their curve or stuck at max. It's better to plan to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. In most builds with this many wires, having to take the back off and fiddle with this is a major nuisance. Easier to do it right at the start.

Note. If Using 6 QL Fans on the Lighting Node Pro. you can not have anything on the Lighting Node Pro's other Rgb Channel. This is going to make things difficult for me since i just ordered 6 QL fans as part of my 16 fans. Also guess it would be 5 grps of 3 fans per and 1 single fan. Going to have 10 normal 120mm LL fans and 6 120mm QL fans. Edited by Lazybum

Note. If Using 6 QL Fans on the Lighting Node Pro. you can not have anything on the Lighting Node Pro's other Rgb Channel. This is going to make things difficult for me since i just ordered 6 QL fans as part of my 16 fans. Also guess it would be 5 grps of 3 fans per and 1 single fan. Going to have 10 normal 120mm LL fans and 6 120mm QL fans.

This is true ... and due to limits on what the NoPro's MCU can handle.

You can, however, have 2 channels of 6 QL fans on the Commander Pro.

Additionally, Fan Hub Splitters do work with the QL fans to put 2 fan hubs on a single channel. The two channels would then be sync'd.

think i have some fans now on double and triple splitters, sometimes the fans ramp up and down on their own even when set to a static % so when i move to new case im hoping to fix this problem.

"Click me for Corsair PWM repeater

you have 4 groups of 3 fans.. could use one of those on each group and have them on the Commander Pro. meaning each group of 3 would appear as a single fan in iCUE."

would it work to put 6 on one of the pwm splitters?

Question:

Are you referring to the 4.5A of thr CP or does the PWM repeaters have the same limitation? I thought PWM repeaters were powered and only the PWM signal is connected back to CP.

Both.

The 4.5A limit is due to the maximum current provided by the SATA connection. So ... each PWM repeater has the same limit (assuming that it's powered by SATA; if by the older molex-style, it's 5.5A).

not sure what the voltage of the fans are, going to be having 10 120mm LL fans and 6 120mm QL fans, either way it dont seem like there is enough in stock to order 5 of the pwm repeaters

Fan motors are all standard 12V.

All of the PWM repeaters will also use the standard 12V.

And ... SATA will provide 4.5A on the 12V rail.

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-FH-10-Integrated-Occupying-Motherboard/dp/B077YHLDSP/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=4-pin%2BPWM%2BRepeater%2Bhub&qid=1582750214&sr=8-2&th=1

was only pwm repeater hubs i could find on amazon, either a 10 fan or 4

Option 1: splitter would run the 2 rgb hubs in channel 1 and then could i put a 3rd hub on channel 2 for the 6 QL fans?

Option 2: Either way im sitting on 2 commander pro units (1 still new in box unopened) and prob have about 10 rgb hubs and prob just as many lighting node pros. if i use both commander pros can hook the 10 regular LL fans into the RGB channels 1 and 2 and then put the 6 QL fans into channel 1 of the 2nd commander pro with nothing in channel 2. In this setup would having 6 QL fans on channel 1 make channel 2 unable to be used?

If i went with option 2 i would really only need 2 of the corsair PWM repeaters to be able to power the 16 fans i plan on using.

Edited by Lazybum