Corsair Community

Replacing the side panel window on a 540

Looking for some help from the Corsair modding experts...

I want to replace the side window on my 540 Air with something that allows a high airflow, but still filters out all the dust and junk floating around my house.

A little background: I am using this build for casual mining (Litecoin at the moment), with a AMD Radeon 7990. This is where the issues start. The 7990 stock cooling blows air back into the case, and no matter how many fans I throw at it, the GPU remained at or around 100C. I bought the 540 Air, hoping for better airflow, but still had 100C temps. After trying everything I could, I removed the side panel to check dissipation. And the minute I did that, temps dropped and fast, and levelled out at around 88C. I left the side panel off, and threw a house fan at it, and the temps dropped to 73C!

So, I have searched around the Interwebs, and come across Modders Mesh, but for the airflow I want, I would need the Hex hole variation, and it's either not available to ship to Canada, or the shipping costs from the US are outrageous (I found one that offered to get me a 500mm x 500mm sheet for $50).

So, I'm looking for other ideas or example: a large air filter (e.g. ModRight B filter?), InWin magnetic filter, etc.

I'd obviously prefer one piece to fit the 400mm x 350mm (15.5 x 13.5) existing opening in the side panel.

I know this was a long post, so I appreciate anyone reading all the way to this point and thanks for any suggestions you have.

I beleive its enough with just adding a 200mm fan into the side window you have.

How do you have the fans configured today ?

Water may be a solution also!

I have a 540 with two VTX3D 7950 running mining on air. All fans in the front pushing in and top and back pushing out. I also added 2x80mm in the smaller chamber to get some more airflow for the PSU.

I beleive its enough with just adding a 200mm fan into the side window you have.

How do you have the fans configured today ?

Water may be a solution also!

I currently have the front fans as intake, the back fan as out. My two fans on top are currently pushing in, but switching them to out (my original setup) made no difference in the temps on the 7990. They are both from closed water loops (CPU and 7970 Arctic Cooler), and I was simply messing around trying to find a cooler config. I realize they SHOULD be pushing out.

Water is an absolute last resort. Because the 7990 requires a custom block and I don't have an open loop anywhere, I would be piecing together the entire system, which comes to $600.

I cut 2x120mm hole in my side window on my switch 810 and used 2 of these fan filters on outside of plexi and intake fans on other side of plexi. Works great as it covers your ugly cuts and works very good as filter.

http://megacomputer.ca/index.php/main/Product/COSS0004

Can you provide pics of your rig? I debated this, but wasn't sure it would be enough to counteract the 7990 triple stock cooler fans. The intake fans' cost isn't a problem; I'm just concerned with popping holes into the plexi and then it simply isn't enough.

Thanks for your suggestions, both of you.

Archived