Corsair Community

Broke my K65 RGB. Any way to fix it?

hyaluna

Warning: if you can't handle other people's stupidity, you should NOT read this.

So now that we got that out of the way, let me tell you the story of a very stupid girl. Yesterday, I found a USB OTG cable. I decided to try it out by plugging in the keyboard to my phone. It didn't work, just flashed the top row of keys very dimly with a brown-ish white tint. I realized my phone probably couldn't provide enough energy to power the board. That's when I remembered the keyboard comes with 2 cables, 1 of which just provides additional power. Here comes the mistake: I decided to use an iPad charger and plug the keyboard into it, since I thought that would provide it enough energy. It still didn't work. Instead, what it did was cycle through the default RGB profiles and nothing else. I plug it back into my computer, open Chrome, and type in "reddit.com". Nothing. I try another USB port, still nothing. I tried every single USB port on my computer and none of them worked, instead Windows gave me an error saying it couldn't recognize the USB device and that it malfunctioned last time it was plugged in. "I f*cked up", I thought to myself. I flip over the keyboard and read: "5V 1A Max". I check the iPad charger. 5.1V 2.1A. Do I need to say more?

If there is a fix for this, I would GREATLY appreciate it since I typed this whole thing on a crappy rubber dome keyboard (not even RGB, darn) and my secondary (school) keyboard won't come until next week (Anne Pro).

The charger did not damage your keyboard, or atleast it should not have if your charger is working properly. the 5v part is how many volts it is putting out all the time. a 5v usb charger puts out 5v because a usb port on a computer puts out 5v and that is what all usb devices are rated for. 5.1v is well within specs for any 5v usb device since they are all rated to handle a little voltage ripple. The 2.1A is the current rated in amps. This is not how much it is actually pushing to the device (your phone or keyboard) but how much the charger can provide to the device. Your device will only pull as many amps as it needs up to the limit of your charger. Your phone will charge faster with a higher current charger because the charger can put out more amps. It will charge slower with a lower amp charger. If you have a dumb device that cant self regulate how much current they draw then you could burn out the charger by drawing too many amps but not the other way around.

To try and fix it Uninstall the corsair engine software and go into the device manager and remove all the keyboards that are showing up in there. If you are windows 10 press the windows key and x and then select device manager. Then click on keyboards and right click on all the hid keyboard devices or any keyboards in there and click on uninstall. Any keyboard you have plugged up to the computer will stop working until you reboot after doing this. See if it will work after that.

Archived