Corsair Community

hx1000i buzzing/clicking noise

sampler

[ame]

[/ame]

it is def coming from the psu and it is brand new from scan.

seems to get worse the more load i put on it but never had a psu make this noise b4.

is this normal for these psu or is it faulty as cant stick this noise for much longer as it is doing my head in.:confused:

• Corsair Employee
its a clicking noise and constant but i only have a cheap action cam and can not pick it up that much but it is there.

i can hear it with my headphones if i turn it up enough

I had headphones on and they were turned up all the way. Just heard fans and you moving around.

So.... When does it make this clicking noise? All the time regardless of the load? Or only under particular loads?

• Corsair Employee
the noise is there all the time from when powerd on the psu fan is not even spinning.

Ok. So it's probably coil whine coming from the PFC choke coil.

You can do an RMA with Scan, but I can't say the noise will be gone with another unit. Some noise is normal, but you shouldn't hear it unless your ear is right up to the PSU's exhaust grill.

Other problems could be poor Earth ground or something in the house introducing noise to the mains (i.e. electric car charger, AC, air compressor, etc.)

i dont think the psu fan was even spinning but i can hear it sat in my chair so it is getting annoying.

ill try a different adaptor or plug the psu straight in to a plug socket and see if that gets rid of it.

if not ill have to rma it and look for another brand psu

the noise only started when i put this psu in my rig there was no noise like this with the old psu.

problem is i can hear it sat at my desk with the case cover on and i have removed all the usb connections and the usb pcie card and it is still the same.

it is making this noise with no load on it and is constant and annoying tbh.

• Corsair Employee
the noise only started when i put this psu in my rig there was no noise like this with the old psu.

problem is i can hear it sat at my desk with the case cover on and i have removed all the usb connections and the usb pcie card and it is still the same.

it is making this noise with no load on it and is constant and annoying tbh.

Then contact Scan and get it swapped out.

• Corsair Employee

i dont want another one of these things thats for sure.

Why?

Pretty sure we told you that while some noise is inevitable, none should be so loud that you can hear it without putting your ear right up against the case.

ANY PSU can potentially make magnetic noise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_induced_acoustic_noise

Just replace it with another. Odds are with you.

Besides, there really isn't a better PSU on the market. Platinum efficiency, monitoring via iCUE, real FDB fan and a 10 year warranty? Who else has all of that?

• Corsair Employee

Also, have you ruled out that the noise isn't interference from something else in the house??

Remember when I said:

Other problems could be poor Earth ground or something in the house introducing noise to the mains (i.e. electric car charger, AC, air compressor, etc.)

Do you have the opportunity to try your PC at a friend or family's house?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1300w-seasonic-prime-gold-80plus-gold-fully-modular-atx-psu

that has 12 year warranty but i can hear this noise sat in my chair over the fan noise.

i have just tried it direct to a wall socket and same thing.

i have 4 18u racks of recording equipment in my room and this noise only started when this psu was installed.

so i need a silent psu and this does not cut it.

• Corsair Employee

That PSU is only Gold efficiency and does not have software monitoring/control.

I said, you won't find a PSU as good as HX1000i and I stand by that.

i have just tried it direct to a wall socket and same thing.

That's not what I asked. It's still the same mains circuit. Can you take the PC somewhere to plug it into another mains?

Also, this PSU can cut it. You might have just gotten a defective one. But it seems like you're willing to ignore that and go for an inferior product instead that may or may not make the same noise.

it could be faulty but there are plenty of posts on here with psu making the same buzzing noise.

i need this pc in my room but if it was a earth problem then all my recording gear would have problem and it has never been a issue.

thanks for all the help but i am done with corsair products esp after the iron claw mouse fiasco where i had to turn it off and back on again 50 times a day, it is sorted now but took months for it to get fixed.

• Corsair Employee
it could be faulty but there are plenty of posts on here with psu making the same buzzing noise.

Fortunately, the forums is not representative of the entire user base.

Literally millions of units sold and only a few dozen posts about buzzing noises in a forum that is literally just a place for people to come and complain about Corsair products.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

update the psu was faulty and scan has exchanged it for a seasonic one and has no coil whine at all.

SCAN DIAGNOSIS

coil whine, worse under load

this was not a cheap psu @£220 uk and has taken weeks to sort out as not much stock of anything psu wise over here.

and not sure why but every time i used the usb for ique cpuid hw monitor crashed and would not work with it connected and works fine when it is not used.

update the psu was faulty and scan has exchanged it for a seasonic one and has no coil whine at all.

SCAN DIAGNOSIS

this was not a cheap psu @£220 uk and has taken weeks to sort out as not much stock of anything psu wise over here.

and not sure why but every time i used the usb for ique cpuid hw monitor crashed and would not work with it connected and works fine when it is not used.

I have an HX1000i so I know how expensive that they are. My PSU has been rock solid.

SCAN DIAGNOSIS

HWmonitor and other monitoring software that do read corsair sensors interfere with icue (and icue interferes with them obviously). So it's one or the other.

I do not use iCUE anymore, and HWinfo works perfectly with the HX1200i i have. It's just a catch you have to know ^^

Regarding coil whine, it's a lottery. It's not Corsair's fault directly, it depends on the component's manufacturer. Those chokes can be dead silent, and they usually are. You just got yourself a fluke unfortunately, but it's 99.99% certain a replacement HX would have been silent.

But hey, the ol comp is back up and running so icon14.gif