Corsair Community

New 4gig memory kit, 1 Memtest error in 8 hours

pcmpcm

Grrr.

So I just ordered a new 4gig memory kit--the TWIN2X4096-6400C5C kit. It arrived yesterday. Just before bedtime, I installed the new memory and set up Memtest86+ to run overnight. This morning I check the results. About 8 hours of testing, which I believe ran 5 passes--1 error.

So I guess that means that I've got a problem? My understanding is that Memtest yields virtually no "false positives."

Right now I've got it testing one of the two modules. I'll have that run all day while I'm at work. If it doesn't yield any errors, then I'll play a game with both modules installed tonight, and then run Memtest on the other module overnight tonight. It just seems like if it took 8 hours to find one error in the two modules installed together, it seems like it could take days to reproduce that error testing the modules alone. But I guess there's no real alternative to that, right?

The version of Memtest that I'm using is 7 months old. I burned it on a CD in January when I was having memory problems, and used that same CD to test the new memory yesterday. Assuming that there are any revised versions of Memtest, should I burn a new CD?

Also, the new memory kit is freshly arrived from newegg.com. Assuming that I have to return anything, should I be doing it with Corsair or newegg?

Thanks for any feedback/advice.

• Corsair Employee
In this case I would try running each stick on its own using memtest and see what the results will be. If you received just one error I would not worry to much about it. If you start to see more issues while using the sticks then I would go ahead and replace them.

Thanks for the reply Ramguy! I'll continue with my stated plan then. I've got Memtest running through the workday right now on one of the modules. If there's no error on it when I get home this evening, I'll install both modules and play a game tonight, and then run Memtest on the other module overnight. I'll post my results here tomorrow.

Archived