The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 220 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Tamvegas's PC Specs

POST ID # = 474904
Tamvegas Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allidea View Post
On the other hand I would like to know if your speed increase after secure deleting ssd, refers to clean windows installation or just image restore?

I simply cannot get any better results than cca. 140MB/s R/W after secure erase and 50% free disk space. Does ssd occupancy influence ssd speed?
No fresh Win7 install. Used Acronis Home 2010 for a full image restore after of the fresh system backup. SSD about 60% full (105 gig free). Many games, programs etc.

Last edited by Tamvegas; 11-04-2010 at 03:04 AM.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 AM
allidea's PC Specs

POST ID # = 474911
allidea Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
Thanks for filling out the info. The 945PM does have an ICH7 so it should be SATA II in theory. You're using a Lenovo laptop though so most likely there are energy saving feature enabled that are reducing your hard drive transfer rates. I just looked back at your ATTO post, and those speeds are EXACTLY on par with SATA I. The laptop may be limited to SATA I speeds by another factor such as the SATA controller itself that is attached to the ICH7 southbridge or it is limited somehow by Lenovo's implementation.
This could be the case since Lenovo managed to make a faulty implementation of this chipset in T60p models by limiting max RAM size to 3GB no matter even if you put 4GB and even if you use x64 OS.

I will take out ssd today and test it on my desktop PC to see how it performs.
I am only sorry I have not made any tests when I just installed Win 7 fresh, but I was still naive and impressed with performance then and to be honest was not aware of real world problems with ssds. On top of that it is not quite easy to take out and return ssd in my nb to perform secure erase due to connector position. Weird but true, I never had any such issues with mechanical hdds.

And just one additional info, not directly related to ssd speed.
I just made an upgrade to FW 2.0 yesterday and in my case I got BSOD with 0x00000007 error. I then rebooted in safe mode, ran fw upgrade tool, and it showed I already have FW 2.0 I ran it again and system restarted without any BSOD. So maybe it would be wise to use safe mode when flashing BIOS, no matter upgrade tool will obviously flash the FW even if BSOD occurs.
Here is how my drive performs with FW 2.0 (since I have not found what are actual improvements in FW 2.0):

Obviously, no performance improvement for me.

OK, last update. Confirmed that T60p has faulty implementation of SATA controller as well. Below are the results from my desktop PC:

This makes my case closed. Thank you Synbios for giving me a hint about SATA controller.

Last edited by allidea; 11-04-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 474961
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

On some notebooks, this is not a "faulty implementation" per se. The controller speeds are intentionally capped as a power saving measure. I have not investigated to see if this is changeable in the BIOS or not. You may want to check with the notebook manufacturer.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM
allidea's PC Specs

POST ID # = 474992
allidea Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
On some notebooks, this is not a "faulty implementation" per se. The controller speeds are intentionally capped as a power saving measure. I have not investigated to see if this is changeable in the BIOS or not. You may want to check with the notebook manufacturer.
It is a faulty implementation as some users (I have a link to another forum, but have not posted it because I was not sure it is according to rules, but I can post it if you find it useful for other members to read) discussed this lenovo problem in detail and even decided to start a lawsuit them as they (lenovo) advertised to have SATA-II support, but in reality it is stuck at SATA-I. A lot of users experienced this problem with lenovo. Nothing against them, but other manufacturers have no such problems with the same chipset. This is a BIOS functionality which lenovo openly refused to fix.
From my experience it really does not feel good when you buy a product and find out you can only use 50% of it's capatibilities.

Last edited by allidea; 11-04-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 474993
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by allidea View Post
It is a faulty implementation as some users (I have a link to another forum, but have not posted it because I was not sure it is according to rules, but I can post it if you find it useful for other members to read) discussed this lenovo problem in detail and even decided to start a lawsuit them as they (lenovo) advertised to have SATA-II support, but in reality it is stuck at SATA-I. A lot of users experienced this problem with lenovo. Nothing against them, but other manufacturers have no such problems with the same chipset. This is a BIOS functionality which lenovo openly refused to fix.
From my experience it really does not feel good when you buy a product and find out you can only use 50% of it's capatibilities.
Yeah, I think I read about that. Sorry to hear you got one of the units that will not or cannot be fixed. I was just throwing that out there just in case as I am not up to speed on which units are intentionally capped vs those with issues. Good luck in finding a solution that you can live with.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM

POST ID # = 475528
Dusha Reputation: 10

ewarwoowar
thanks for the great Guide.

Despite the fact that I'm running Win7+AHCI+P256 with TRIM enabled, after only 6 months performance was noticably degraded (see before and after)

One comment to the guide, I was using latest PartedMagic 5.7
When I have selected Secure Erase - I was suggested to run Enchanced Secure Erase instead (as it was detected as supported).

According to the desciption - it is the same as Standard one, but instead of writing zeros writes a pattern set by the vendor and that overwrites all bad blocks as well.

I was not sure and have selected Standard one :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssd-before.JPG (48.4 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg ssd-after.JPG (47.2 KB, 504 views)

Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 AM
babbar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 478797
babbar Reputation: 10

hey so after i back up my ssd to another driveusing arconis, do i burn the backup to a dvd? haven't tried it yet just wanted to know.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
gunrunnerjohn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 478815
gunrunnerjohn Reputation: 10

I use removable or network drives for my image backups, optical media is slower, and more labor intensive, especially if it's larger than a single disk.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 AM
ewarwoowar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 479300
ewarwoowar Reputation: 10

Sorry I don't come on here that often but its great to see that everyone is liking the guide and i'm amazed at how many views it's got!

@Dusha you could always try the enhanced one and see what speed differences you get!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM

POST ID # = 479738
blackops Reputation: 10
Default Restoring Acronis Image

I made an image of my ssd with Acronis. Then I secure erased with parted magic. Now the ssd needs formatting. My question will Acronis format this automatically for you during restore or do you have to format it before hand using say DOS DISKPART or Windows assuming you can add as a secondary disk?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:20 PM
robbob4's PC Specs

POST ID # = 482435
robbob4 Reputation: 10

I personally was unable to use this method. Linux always hanged after ejecting the cd. I also tried multiple boot options and got the same result. I was successfull using GPartedLive: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81492 after reading the wiki at http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 AM
PierreBr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 483964
PierreBr Reputation: 10

Today I tried Secure Erasing my f60 drive, but after I clicked on the internal erase I got a message saying:
"Unfortunately this drive is reported as being in a Frozen state (a safe-guard option implemented by the bios during boot time...)"
...and it offered to secure erase it like an external drive.

There does not seem to be a relative option in the bios, I have already secure erased the drive when using 1.1 firmware and just after installing firmware 2.0

Any ideas?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM
PierreBr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 484023
PierreBr Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreBr View Post
Today I tried Secure Erasing my f60 drive, but after I clicked on the internal erase I got a message saying:
"Unfortunately this drive is reported as being in a Frozen state (a safe-guard option implemented by the bios during boot time...)"
...and it offered to secure erase it like an external drive.

There does not seem to be a relative option in the bios, I have already secure erased the drive when using 1.1 firmware and just after installing firmware 2.0

Any ideas?
Found this thread...will look into the solutions proposed and report back

Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM
karndog's PC Specs

POST ID # = 491244
karndog Reputation: 10

Excellent tutorial! I've been using this for months, was a little tricky at first but now i can complete the process in about 10 minutes. I do so every month or so. Check out these before and after benchys on my x32's in RAID 0.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3...eforeafter.png

Last edited by Wired; 02-28-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: changed to link

Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 491775
Synbios Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Synbios

I would not recommend so frequently, you are going to kill that drive.

Why does the performance get so bad after just one month, are you using these drives extensively?