Corsair Community

Corsair Nightsword - Cosair Link?

xPETEZx

Hey,

I recently needed to replace my Corsair M65 mouse, as its coating is coming away and is not pleasant to hold anymore.

I went with a Logitech G502 Hero, after reviews suggested this would be the best mouse to get.

And technically its brilliant. Buttons are great, macro keys work how I want, even the software is decent.

However... I just can't get comfortable with it, despite everything suggesting I should. (hand feels 'cramped' after a day of use)

I am considering trying out the Corsair Nightsword instead, as its apparently a little bigger but has very similar button layout which is what I am after.

This takes me to my 2 questions:

1.) Can the Corsair Nightsword be 'controlled' / setup using Corsair Link instead of iCUE?

Reason I ask is that I already have a H80i and a RM series PSU both setup using Corsair Link.

I tried installing iCue to see what it's like, but it only supports my H80i, not my RM PSU. (Meaning to see fan speed / 12V Amps Id still need Corsair link)

Also I couldn't quiet work out how to set the fan profile for the H80i the same as I had on Corsair Link.

So one of the things putting me off the Nightsword is if I have to run iCue.

As it seems iCue being installed also removes the H80i from being controllable via Corsair link. Even closing iCue does not let Link have it back. Need to uninstall the drivers. (as I considered installing iCue just to setup the mouse, then not run at startup and only open if I need to change a stored profile)

2.) Anybody have both the G502 and the NightSword, can you comment on the comfort of both mice?

I use a palm grip. (17.5cm finger tip to palm / 9.5cm across)

I found the M65 comfortable and my old Logitech G5

Let somehow the G502 isnt comfortable despite everything telling me it should be for me! :P

Appreciate the help.

I can't comment in Link, having never used it, but i have both the nightsword and the G502.

I have bigger hand than you (~20cm tip to palm, 11cm across), but i found the G502 more comfortable :)

That said i keep switching between finger grip and palm grip. the Nightsword beeing beefier, it forces you to use palm grip which may be perfect for you actually.

The major difference i find when it comes to ergonomy is that the nightsword being also a bit wider, it spreads your ring finger more. Can be uncomfortable depending on how you grip. Very subtle, i used it for months without any pain, it's just a personal thing.

The wheel is stiffer on the nightsword with rubber grip (no momentum when you flick it, better for FPS imho)

The rubber on the mouse is cheaper. It shatters in lil bits with use. The G502 rubber just wears off and flattens.

For what it's worth, i weighted them both at 144gr, with all their respective weights installed.

09a0121350361729.jpg 9d7d2b1350361734.jpg db902f1350361737.jpg

You can reproduce custom fan curves from Link into iCUE. Not sure about the default curves being the same or not.

As for the PSU - RMi PSUs are supported in iCUE. RM PSUs aren't visible in either Link or iCUE. So if you have an RM PSU, I'm not sure what Link is showing you but if there is no USB cable from the PSU, you won't see it.

I can't comment in Link, having never used it, but i have both the nightsword and the G502.

I have bigger hand than you (~20cm tip to palm, 11cm across), but i found the G502 more comfortable :)

That said i keep switching between finger grip and palm grip. the Nightsword beeing beefier, it forces you to use palm grip which may be perfect for you actually.

The major difference i find when it comes to ergonomy is that the nightsword being also a bit wider, it spreads your ring finger more. Can be uncomfortable depending on how you grip. Very subtle, i used it for months without any pain, it's just a personal thing.

The wheel is stiffer on the nightsword with rubber grip (no momentum when you flick it, better for FPS imho)

The rubber on the mouse is cheaper. It shatters in lil bits with use. The G502 rubber just wears off and flattens.

For what it's worth, i weighted them both at 144gr, with all their respective weights installed.

09a0121350361729.jpg 9d7d2b1350361734.jpg db902f1350361737.jpg

Thanks for the comments :)

The M65 also made me have a slightly wider grip, which I think is what I found more comfortable.

Unfortunately the rubber coming off and going 'manky' is what made me require a new mouse in the first place.

I am curious if that is the same thing you are talking about with the NightSword plastic being cheaper?

I presume that the NightSword can be used without iCUE? You just save all your settings to the onboard profile?

You can reproduce custom fan curves from Link into iCUE. Not sure about the default curves being the same or not.

As for the PSU - RMi PSUs are supported in iCUE. RM PSUs aren't visible in either Link or iCUE. So if you have an RM PSU, I'm not sure what Link is showing you but if there is no USB cable from the PSU, you won't see it.

I have an RM PSU with the optional LINK cable that connects to a USB header.

Within Corsair Link it reports its fan speed and the Amps on the 12V rail.

Its not hugely useful info, but given I need to run Corsair Link anyway to control the fan curve as I like on the H80i, its nice to also see PSU load / Fan speed.

If anybody with a Nightsword is willing to test if the mouse can be controlled using Link, that would be amazing :) It would mean uninstalling iCue first I fear though.

The rubber under the thumb feels like detaching in very small bits, like rubbery flakes. nothing a very sharp leatherman can't fix if it gets annoying.

Yes it can be used without iCue. i did so regularely. It keeps the DPI settings, even to change on the fly with the side index buttons.

How long have you had the mouse?

The M65 was my first Corsair mouse, and it only lasted 3-4yrs I think.

Compared to my previous G5 which is still going strong after 13 years. (not in daily use for the last 3-4 years mind)

Might get the Nightsword ordered from Amazon and see how I go.

Then send back either the Nightsword or the G502... or even both :( (Not sure what I would look at then :/ I love the extra 2 buttons next to left click. But hate MMO style mice)

The nightsword was ordered in september 2019 so it's almost 10 months of use.

The G502 was ordered in March the same year. I have another one at work from Nov 2017, with the same kind of wear. Rubber just flattening with time.

So just got my Nightsword.

Gawd I am not liking iCUE :(

How can I re-assign the DPI UP and DPI down keys?

It says they are assigned to my macro, but when I press them, they just change the DPI.

Tried saving profile to onboard memory, same issue.

What am I missing?

Also is it not possible to change the profile UP/DOWN buttons?

I feel like a single button to cycle them would be enough?

The mouse is very comfortable though! So thats a big win.

You might find this video helpful.

That video was not helpful.

I have configured my hardware profiles, but they just do not work.

I have even tried setting just a simple letter. No matter which mouse button I assign it to, it just does the default action when pressed.

This iCUE software is really spoiling otherwise great hardware.

G Hub works so much better / simpler.

FINALLY managed to get this working.

It seems I needed to create and assign my Macros in both the "ACTIONS" and "HARDWARE ACTIONS" sections.

Although you can store actions in the library for "hardware actions" section, you cant call on this from the "actions" section, so I literally needed to create my macros twice.

Once I assigned all these, my macros now work both with iCUE running, and without.

iCUE needs some serious work. :|

Its letting down a good bit of hardware.

Even the old "M65 Tray Tools" program for my old mouse was better.