Corsair Community

Hello, I have a couple of questions involving coolers and the Threadripper CPU.

time2save

I am thinking of using this cooler with my Threadripper, but I have a couple questions.

1, is the cooler compatible with the Threadripper?

2, I see that for the 115i, 115i PRO ect coolers, they use this bracket, is there one like it for the 150i PRO?

Thank you for your time. :biggrin:

Edited by time2save
Incorrect cooler name.

1) Yes and it'll do a decent job. You won't get full coverage of the heatspreader but the most important parts - the cores - will be covered. The Platinum coolers will give you a little bit more coverage.

2) Yes, all the PRO coolers will use the same bracket. Note that the description for that item does include the H150i.

1) Yes and it'll do a decent job. You won't get full coverage of the heatspreader but the most important parts - the cores - will be covered. The Platinum coolers will give you a little bit more coverage.

2) Yes, all the PRO coolers will use the same bracket. Note that the description for that item does include the H150i.

I see, but is it that good of an idea? Or is there a better cooler for the job?

Also, would the 115i platinum be better than the 150i pro? The 115i because of the coverage? Or the 150i because of the better cooling of the liquid? Thank you. :biggrin:

Edited by time2save
Added Questions

The difference in surface area - which is where the cooling happens - between the 115 (39,200 mm2) and the 150 (43,200 mm2) really isn't that much. The higher fan speeds of the 115's include fans, however, may actually make a difference in the case of ThreadRipper ... not much for, say, a 7700K but that ThreadRipper can put out some heat.

I've not, personally, used the Pro series coolers on my Threadripper (only on my previous Intel). I did, for quite some time, run with the 115 Platinum. The 150 may be slightly better with high, extended loads but, to be honest, the 115 Platinum did a good job. Coolant temps never got above 38C or so and CPU temps were in the low to mid 70's with PBO on max. Boost clocks were in the 3.9-4.1Ghz range during heavy load across all cores (encoding HD movies).

HydroX - the custom loop - is certainly better and has handled my 2950X with ease - better boosts and PBO will add more voltage. The 150 should be fine ... the 115 Platinum, though, has better coverage (as mentioned previously) and I can say without a doubt that it did a respectable job on my ThreadRipper.

That said, when I upgrade to the 3960X (shortly), I am considering moving my 2950X to my home server and may look at the 150 then ... but that's because it'll fit the use case for the chassis that it would be in a little better.