Corsair Community

RM750 PSU Fan issue

Frmg

Hi guys

I'm new here and first of all i would like to say that im moving out from a Enermax 600 watts 80 plus bronze for a Corsair RM750 80 plus gold for my system.

My lote code is 1342, so i'm not affect by the thermistor issue.

i live in a home where it's often hot. I'm talking about 32ºc - 36ºc over the day.

My problem is the fan never spin no matter what temperature my case have.

In my room i have temperatures 25ºC around.

Before, with my old Enermax PSU i had temperatures inside my case around 35ºC because the fan spin all the time.

But now with my new Corsair RM750 i had temperatures inside my case around dangerous 45ºC :bigeyes:

My processor is getting almost 70ºC

I checked that other components such as the CPU cooler and VGA cooler was accelerated with increasing heat. When i check the temperatures in BIOS i see a dangerous overall heat increasing.

I opened the side of my case and i touched the case of PSU that was burning and the fan was not spinning.

So this is normal? The fan shouldn't operate when the PSU is under high temperatures?

My major problem is that if the fan not spin by increasing temperatures i'll not have the exhaust system working properly inside my case.

So i need send my PSU to warranty ?

Or i will forced change my case?

My current PSU is in the top of case.

The RM750 only works when is installed in bottom?

Ps. Sorry by my bad english.

Thanks

------------------------------------

RM750 Standby report

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:

Sensor Type ITE IT8721F (ISA 290h)

GPU Sensor Type Diode (ATI-Diode)

Motherboard Name Asus M5A88-M / M5A88-V Series

Chassis Intrusion Detected No

Temperatures:

Motherboard 41 °C

CPU 47 °C

CPU #1 / Core #1 30 °C

CPU #1 / Core #2 30 °C

CPU #1 / Core #3 30 °C

CPU #1 / Core #4 30 °C

CPU #1 / Core #5 30 °C

CPU #1 / Core #6 30 °C

CPU #1 / Core #7 30 °C

CPU #1 / Core #8 30 °C

GPU Diode 44 °C

Corsair Neutron GTX SSD 35 °C

ST2000DM001-1CH164 40 °C

Cooling Fans:

CPU 4219 RPM

Chassis 3199 RPM

GPU 1247 RPM (20%)

Voltage Values:

CPU Core 0.876 V

+3.3 V 3.360 V

+5 V 5.019 V

+12 V 11.981 V

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------

RM750 Full Load report

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:

Sensor Type ITE IT8721F (ISA 290h)

GPU Sensor Type Diode (ATI-Diode)

Motherboard Name Asus M5A88-M / M5A88-V Series

Chassis Intrusion Detected No

Temperatures:

Motherboard 46 °C

CPU 67 °C

CPU #1 / Core #1 45 °C

CPU #1 / Core #2 45 °C

CPU #1 / Core #3 45 °C

CPU #1 / Core #4 45 °C

CPU #1 / Core #5 45 °C

CPU #1 / Core #6 45 °C

CPU #1 / Core #7 45 °C

CPU #1 / Core #8 45 °C

GPU Diode 64 °C

Corsair Neutron GTX SSD 39 °C

ST2000DM001-1CH164 46 °C

Cooling Fans:

CPU 4950 RPM

Chassis 3720 RPM

GPU 3120 RPM (90%)

Voltage Values:

CPU Core 1.22 V

+3.3 V 3.328 V

+5 V 5.019 V

+12 V 11.981 V

Ok here we go,

I've been reading all occurrences of temperature issue on the PSU RM750 and RM850 recall conducted by Corsair alleging:

"We have changed the value of the resistor between the thermistor and the fan controller so the fan turns on much sooner than the temperature would trigger OTP que Therefore Should always turn the fan on before OTP is triggered,. Preventing the PSU from shutting down before it is necessary. "

If I'm wrong please tell me, but the fact is that I have a PSU that at least in theory should not be affected by the overheating problem. My lote code is 1342.

I believe we have a potential risk of fire if the problem is not really solved. I do not understand exactly what you want to know when Corsair says:

"RM is optimized for silence, backing up the assertion with the knowledge que 135mm fan is not activated until 40 per cent load, based on an ambient 25 ° C room temperature"

The major question is:

The fan will spin only when the consumption exceeds the PSU 40% wattage load?

Or the fan should also spin under hot situations, independent of wattage load?

I'm asking this because if the fan should be spin according to the temperature, then my PSU specifically is not working properly.

I have less than 40% wattage load on my PSU, but i live in a tropical country and i have high ambient temperatures and because there's no have a air exhaust working on the top of case, (Remember that old cases have a top place destinated for install PSU and the hot air tends to go to top) my case internal temperatures are now unacceptable high. I'm talking about temperatures that could be a potential risk of fire under certain situations because the PSU chassis is burning. My luck is that the processor temperature control, shutdown the system before catch fire.

Today in Brazil we are in Winter but what i should do when we are in summer? :mad:

I would ask for all owners of RM series to check their fans and the internal case temperature if the same event is happening.

Maybe the recall performed by Corsair did not resolved the fan problem and now instead of the PSU shut down it will continue operating up to high temperatures and potentially catch fire.

I will open a ticket on Corsair support because it's totally unaccepted a PSU working under this situation.

Thanks and sorry again by my bad english.

Your real problem is if the PSU is the only exhaust fan you have in your system. In that setup, the RM is not the best choice. Even at higher temperature you have to be pushing enough output power to get that fan to turn on or the heat will build up in the system. Given that your CPU, case, and GPU fans are spinning at high RPM's to keep the temperature it is a load, looking into better airflow inside your case will definitely help your overall system temps and noise.

Your real problem is if the PSU is the only exhaust fan you have in your system. In that setup, the RM is not the best choice. Even at higher temperature you have to be pushing enough output power to get that fan to turn on or the heat will build up in the system. Given that your CPU, case, and GPU fans are spinning at high RPM's to keep the temperature it is a load, looking into better airflow inside your case will definitely help your overall system temps and noise.

Thanks for your reply

I understand about the RM series was not the best choice. I agree, but what i should do now???

I have a decent air flow system inside my case respecting the hot air movement physics properties. I have 1 80x80mm case fan for pull cold air in bottom front and i have 2 case fans for push hot air for out near the PSU on rear top, but is not working. My system after 20 minutes of full loading is overheating.

The wanted silence after purchase of this PSU resulted in reverse, because all my fans (GPU, CPU and Case) are spinning at high rotation for compensate the miss of cooling in my system without sucess.

Ok if i change my chassis case i will solve my problem. But i dont wanna expend money because a project failure PSU.

I am really disappointed with the purchase and i wish immensely change for one series that does not suffer this serious problem.:[pouts:

So you really want a PSU that has the fan running 100% of the time. The RM will not do this. You really only have a few choices now. Return the PSU to where you bought it if they will take it back, buy a new case with different exhaust options, or sell the RM and buy a different PSU that fits your needs.

The PSU does not meet your specific needs, which really is not a design flaw. It was designed to be as quiet as possible and that is exactly what it does. With your setup a RM450 or RM550 would have probably been a better fit as the load and temperature probably would have kicked on the fan in a lower wattage unit.

So you really want a PSU that has the fan running 100% of the time.

Quite the opposite

My objective was bought a PSU with a higher capacity for cold working and not use the fan by heating. It is for this purpose that consumers uses a PSU more than capable.

The RM will not do this. You really only have a few choices now. Return the PSU to where you bought it if they will take it back, buy a new case with different exhaust options, or sell the RM and buy a different PSU that fits your needs.

The PSU does not meet your specific needs, which really is not a design flaw. It was designed to be as quiet as possible and that is exactly what it does. With your setup a RM450 or RM550 would have probably been a better fit as the load and temperature probably would have kicked on the fan in a lower wattage unit.

Obviously you do not work in the Corsair, so I understand your point of view.

But sell or replace the product moving out to other manufacturer is unacceptable option.

The RM750 is designed to exceed the needs of my system. It is at least strange PSU not being able to meet lower requirements, but being able to work only under certain circumstances of high wattage consume.

This is an exception to rule

All information about exceptions and particulars of the product should be informed on the product box or in the manual which is important to remember that not included with the product.

If such characteristics about the specific operation of the fan in RM series were properly informed I would not have bought the product and have opted for AX760i to get support for C-LINK feature.

It's a nonsense buy a product that gives you a overheating as result of low wattage consuption ignoring the inside case temperature under this situation. .:bigeyes:

case cooling should be the number one choice when looking at putting a system together.

the more fans you have the cooler you can run a system.

you also dont need all the fans running max speed to keep your system cool also.

once a month your case needs a cleaning with a vacuum or a can of compressed air.

another option if your case has the room is liquid cooling the cpu.

that removes the heat directly under your psu (you stated top mount) and also adds to removing the heat in the case.

you have tons of options, and as others have said dont rely on just one item that was not built to remove warm air from the case.

I run a corsair h100 and never feel warm air from the top of my case.

I use RM1000.

It's too hot,burning my CPU in my HAF XB case.

CPU Problem would be solved by changing a new case.

but THE PSU WOULD KEEPS HOT AS BEFORE!

I use Dual-way Xeons and a GTX590.1000Watts is needed.change a psu would spend a lot.

Archived