Corsair Community

Scimitar pro - scroll wheel issue

bazampi

I've had a total of 4 or 5 mouses over the last 10 years and the only reason I have replaced them is simply because it would upgrade my current mouse, never because it was broken or stopped working fortunately. However, this March I finally decided to upgrade to a RPG mouse with Corsair's Scimitar Pro and I pretty much loved it. I was introduced to a world of infinite keybinds and it worked perfectly. That is until yesterday when the scroll wheel stopped working. The wheel click still works perfectly fine, it's the scrolling I can no longer do. I looked for a fix online which apparently requires me to open up the mouse. I've ordered a mini screwdriver kit so I can check to see if by getting in there I can fix the problem.

I'm just upset that I've had this mouse for less than three months and it's already breaking down on me.

decided against trying to repair it myself. I submitted an RMA ticket with Corsair so hopefully I hear back from them real soon. My only concern now is if it's going to break again in another three months.

• 8 months later...
I've had a total of 4 or 5 mouses over the last 10 years and the only reason I have replaced them is simply because it would upgrade my current mouse, never because it was broken or stopped working fortunately. However, this March I finally decided to upgrade to a RPG mouse with Corsair's Scimitar Pro and I pretty much loved it. I was introduced to a world of infinite keybinds and it worked perfectly. That is until yesterday when the scroll wheel stopped working. The wheel click still works perfectly fine, it's the scrolling I can no longer do. I looked for a fix online which apparently requires me to open up the mouse. I've ordered a mini screwdriver kit so I can check to see if by getting in there I can fix the problem.

I'm just upset that I've had this mouse for less than three months and it's already breaking down on me.

Yep, me too. I DID take it apart, and let me say good luck. The shaft on the left side of the mouse wheel that controls the scrolling gear is 1.3mm and cheap. The shaft broke inside the gear. For what I paid for this mouse, and the pressure that you put on the center button/wheel while gaming..this should have been metal. I have a corsair power supplies in 2 servers and 2 main production machines, Corsair Cases on all 4 and corsair fans... I had two fans die on me last week due to blades snapping off. I had never seen that before. I guess I need to rethink my brand loyalty. :-/

• 5 months later...
Yep, me too. I DID take it apart, and let me say good luck. The shaft on the left side of the mouse wheel that controls the scrolling gear is 1.3mm and cheap. The shaft broke inside the gear. For what I paid for this mouse, and the pressure that you put on the center button/wheel while gaming..this should have been metal. I have a corsair power supplies in 2 servers and 2 main production machines, Corsair Cases on all 4 and corsair fans... I had two fans die on me last week due to blades snapping off. I had never seen that before. I guess I need to rethink my brand loyalty. :-/

I also attempted to take the mouse apart since I couldn't find my receipt from when I purchased it around 1 year ago.

Needless to say I had the same problem where the plastic broke off in the gear. I have another friend who uses the same mouse and says he has a very similar issue. After looking through some forums and other posts, it seems to be a very common issue with the yellow edition of the Scimitar but does not occur with the black edition (I am not familiar with the differences between the 2). In all honesty this issue could easily be avoided if they made the MMB click and scroll metal instead of plastic because others said they had an issue with it pressing down as well.

Back to my attempt to fix the issue. So far I manage to get the broken piece out from the gear and have glued it back onto the mouse wheel. Currently I am going to wait a little while before attempting to insert the piece again because I fear it will just brake off since there is no easy way to reinsert the mouse wheel back in the gear. If not, I may simply slice off the end and the reattach it after it's already in the gear wheel.

• 1 year later...
I have had 3 of these and its the third time it happens. Unfortunately the last one was out of warranty and I bough a new one 3 months ago. I can't believe it also lasted this little. I just suubmitted the RMA ticket but right there you can see I already went through this process once. It sucks.

• 2 months later...
I also attempted to take the mouse apart

(...) Currently I am going to wait a little while before attempting to insert the piece again because I fear it will just brake off since there is no easy way to reinsert the mouse wheel back in the gear.

How did things go?

Some pics illustrating (de)construction (and possibly source of issue) could really help others that (will) have this problem with their Scimitar. Mine (that already came from RMA; the first one got the left click-doubleclick issue) suddenly stopped scrolling this weekend. And I do mean suddenly. Had not been playing any game or doing any hardcore stuff other than scrolling text documents and webpages. Then, completely random use of the mouse, upon scrolling I felt the slight resistance the wheel normally has, had simply gone just like that (and no more scroll). I've remapped two side buttons for scroll up and down, but obviously that's bandaiding a ruined functionality for otherwise an as good as new mouse. :rant2:

• 11 months later...
After looking through some forums and other posts, it seems to be a very common issue with the yellow edition of the Scimitar but does not occur with the black edition

I own the black version of this mouse, it still happens with it. I did the glue repair once but it has just broken again. Might be time to replace it altogether.

This is 100% a planned obsolescence thing where they hope it lasts the warranty period before dying (and in my case, that is what happened).

Looking at other parts of the mouse, I can say for certain that the entire mouse is poorly designed mechanically speaking. Such a shame.

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking about trying to 3D model the part to 3D print a replacement scroll wheel with this part potentially beefed up.

Hi, did you managed to print and assemble it? If yes, could you share the 3D file?

This is unbelievable that mouse which costed ~90EUR had such of poor quality parts inside and broke after 2.5 years. Other mouses that costed me 15-30EUR last up to 10 years, but the one that cost few times more couldn't.

I own plenty of Corsair products from their portfolio, bought them for both, myself and for others and the ones from old times (5-10 years) still work fine, the new ones are too often below the quality they offered in past and especially the price they are asking right now for.

Of course, helpdesk informed me that they are very sorry but they don't give a **** about that because warranty is since few months over. They also do not provide/don't sell any spare parts.

Well, I'm not sorry then for stopping to be a loyal customer. They just ride on the brand reputation they built years ago.

• 3 weeks later...