Corsair Community

Best ram for A7N8X Del.-2600xp?

Johnny B.

Hello, I am new here, and have some quick questions for Ram Guy and anyone else with this mobo/processor. I am building my first new computer in over 4 years and a lot has changed. This is what I have bought so far... Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev. 2.0 Athlon 2600xp "Barton" core What would be the best 1gig of ram combo? I don't play a lot of games, but I do a TON of digital imaging in Photoshop. I get the feeling from what I have read so far that the A7N8X Deluxe board isn't all it's hyped up to be, or am I just seeing the negatives offsetting the unposted positives? I believe the processor I have chosen only runs at 333fsb, so should I be choosing pc2700 (DDR333) ram? I don't plan on overclocking, just looking for the most efficient, rock solid system I can build. Thanks for any help you can offer. I'll be checking back daily for posts. Johnny B.

BUT ! only if its considerably cheaper than 3200. If you are intending moving up to an A64 or another chip with a 200FSB then you will need PC3200. A little future proofing wont hurt if the price differance isnt so big, and it will run fine at 166FSB. Hope this helps. Rob

I have built 7 or 8 systems with that mobo. Many 2500's, a few 2800's and some 3000's. The best ram without question would be corsair 1024 - 2700llpt twinx. You didn't ask, but if its going to be for work you'll want it quiet. Go for a Thermalright sp-97 heatsink. You can stick a quiet 80mm fan and stick a speed control on it. I have a home theater pc with this combo and it runs under 30c no load, 35c under load and its silent. my 2 cents

[quote name='OEX'] Go for a Thermalright sp-97 heatsink. [/QUOTE] Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks OEX for the reccomend on the heatsink and fan. That looks like a serious piece of copper. One other question though...how big of a difference am I going to see going with the 3200llpt series over the standard 3200, 3200pt, or even 3200c2 ram? Like I mentioned before, I'm not a gamer, just love to run lots of heavy apps at once like Neat Image and Photoshop. Will I appreciate spending the extra few $$ for the "3200llpt"? Thanks again, Johnny B.

go for the 2700 instead of the 3200. your box will run faster in sync 166x2) 333mhz which is 2700. the 2700llpt will overclock to if your into that. the chances that the 3200llpt will work with your next box is kinda doubtful.

• 4 weeks later...
I just started going through the components I ordered, and I finally figured out that this is a A7N8X board, [U]not[/U] the deluxe version. So no SATA raid, no dolby, no dual lan. =( I have no idea how I screwed that up. Anyways, is the rev 2.0 of the standard A7N8X board still worthy of the ram that everyone advised? I may try to ebay this one as I was really looking forward to having the "deluxe" board. Thanks, Johnny B.

• 2 months later...
Just thought I'd give an update for anyone else looking for this mobo/cpu combo. I ended up getting the TWINX1024-3200PT ram due to the price of $214, and the fact that I will not be doing a lot of gaming, just photo processing. Ram booted up fine in slots 2 and 3 (the blue ones) in dual channel mode, and is running it's best Sandra score so far at 2.5-3-3-10 on the Asus A7N8X mobo with the Barton 2600 cpu. It's running in sync with the 333mhz cpu right now. I hope to get some better cooling for the cpu and try a little overclock. I haven't pushed it past that so far as I'm looking for stable before speed. Johnny B.

Archived