Corsair Community

randomboots? memory failure or what?

Juha76

Hi! I just ask that what is the problem of my system: -Asus A7N8X rev2.0 Deluxe (BIOS 1007) -AXP 2800+ Barton (12,5 x 166 default) -Corsair TwinX 1024 3200C2PT (cas 5-2-2-2T) (dimm 2 & 3 slots) -PNY GeForce4 Ti4600 -WinXP SP1 FIN -DX9.0b -Morhpheusware's mixed nForce drivers (latest versions) -Forceware 55.65 Everytime when I try play some games which use 3D graphics, it gets 5, 10, 15, 30minutes or more, until my system boots without bluescreen even I have disabled winXP option to boot automaticly when error comes. I have tried Memtest86+ v1.0 about 15hours without any error on standard test and also extended test. I have also tried Prime95's Torture test about 4hours and without problems. So what is possible that my system boots? Graphic Card failure or something? Or not compatible memory of my system? Even if not error comes any test of Memtest86+ or Prime95?

i have near the same config as you, make sure and dont let the bios do auto settings for ram timings, make sure the ram timings in your bios are 2,2,2,5, then, you'll notice, I bet, your vdimm is set to 2.6vdimm, up this to 2.7vdimm, or 2.8vdimm, see if that fixes your problem.

Yes.. I have tried vdimm2.7 and 2.8 and no difference. Also memory freq. is set 100% and tried to different latency on memory, 5-2-2-2, 6-3-3-2 and many others. System still boots, and everytime when playing games. Now I have order new graphic card, Hercules ATI R9800XT, and I get that 18.3. Then I gonna test that if my system still boots when I have installed new graphic card on my system.

[quote name='RAM GUY']That might also suggest a power problem, can you test the graphics card and memory on another system?[/QUOTE] I have also changed my Power with Enermax 460W about 2 weeks ago.. no difference.. still booting And no, I have not chance to try my old Graphics card on other system..

[quote name='Mumle']Try disabling your soundcard. My soundcard seemed to make an error with the ram i used (i guess), have changed to some older ram, and haven't had a single reboot since.[/QUOTE] What do you mean? Integrated nForce sound or PCI soundcard? I have not any PCI card on my system.

the intergrated one, disable it in BIOS. If that dosn't work, try disabling everything you don't need, so the only things you will have left are: CPU Motherboard RAM GFX-card Then test it, its a good way to narrow it down. I did it on my system, found out that my soundcard makes an error in the RAM's.... Tried two different soundcards.

• Corsair Employee
I would agree with Mumle, it's worth trying; also I would test the memory on another system if at all possible. But if you are not getting errors with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] but the system is not stable in games there are many things that can cause this besides the memory and it's bets to try and isolate the other drivers and or devices in your system as a possible cause.

[quote name='Mumle']the intergrated one, disable it in BIOS. If that dosn't work, try disabling everything you don't need, so the only things you will have left are: CPU Motherboard RAM GFX-card Then test it, its a good way to narrow it down. I did it on my system, found out that my soundcard makes an error in the RAM's.... Tried two different soundcards.[/QUOTE] I have tried to disable integrated sound and no difference, still if I put my old PCI SB Live on my system don't work.. still boots. All COM ports are disabled and everythin what I dont need.

• Corsair Employee
More than likely you will need to upgrade to a newer version of that sound card. You might talk the maker of the sound card and make sure it meets the PCI spec. for this MB, PCI 2.1 or newer as I remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived