Corsair Community

Vista 64 crash on D975XBX2 w/ latest BIOS

seanriddle

There are at least 2 of us trying to run Vista 64 on a Bad Axe 2 MB, but having difficulties when we flash the latest 2 BIOSes. Take a look here for more info: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1990504&forumid=1

Apparently, Intel is saying that the crash is caused by the Corsair RAM.

Has Corsair tested RAM on the D975XBX2 with Vista 64?

Thanks-

Sean

That's not exactly what Intel is saying in that quote within that thread. They're just saying that they won't guarantee memory running outside of the specs of the board. Status quo frankly.

Corsair Memory Compatible with the Intel D975XBX

NOTE: I'm not sure if that link's info is complete, as it only lists the DDR2 Value Select series, but it also lists performance reports for some of the Twin2X series.

Ram Guy, some clarification please?

That's not exactly what Intel is saying in that quote within that thread. They're just saying that they won't guarantee memory running outside of the specs of the board. Status quo frankly.

Corsair Memory Compatible with the Intel D975XBX

NOTE: I'm not sure if that link's info is complete, as it only lists the DDR2 Value Select series, but it also lists performance reports for some of the Twin2X series.

Ram Guy, some clarification please?

Wired-

But I'm running my system within specs and have exactly the same problem.

Also, this is on the D975XBX2, not the D975XBX.

Thanks-

Sean

From your posted Link...

After an extensive review of the integration and troubleshooting you have performed, we have only found one specific conflict, that might be the cause for the erratic behavior you are having.

Even though the memory tests you have performed have all passed, we are still led to believe that the erratic behavior on your system is related to the voltage of your RAM. The Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2 supports system memory sticks with 1.8V and 1.9V only; and even if the system works with the 2.2V RAM that you are using, problems may appear when applications try to run with instructions stored in the upper areas of the RAM modules.

At this point, our best suggestion would be to test using different RAM, that matches all the compatibility requirements for the board:

1.8 V and 1.9 V DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs

Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction:

Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.

8 GB maximum total system memory

Minimum total system memory: 128 MB

ECC DIMMs and Non-ECC DIMMs

Serial Presence Detect

DDR2 800, DDR2 667, and DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM DIMM

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1990504&forumid=1

What Intel is saying is that their boards conform to the JEDEC DRAM standards for DDR2 DRAM. 1.8-1.9v so those who want to use Corsair DRAM with Intel boards would do well to purchase DRAM that strictly follows these standards if they wish support from Intel. Now for Enthusiasts this is not good enough and almost all high end DRAM does NOT follow JEDEC voltages for DDRII. Basically 1.8-19v is not enough for 800MHz at 4-4-4-12 and often is not enough for 800Mhz at 5-5-5-15. As well, any other high end DRAM (almost all high end DRAM) that does not follow JEDEC voltages are not supported.

By not supported they mean that if issues arise due to higher voltages, they will not accept responsibility for those issues. There are no motherboard companies that do support outside of JEDEC standards.

Almost all high end DRAM with tight timings have need of higher voltages than JEDEC standards so those who purchase Intel boards had better research well prior to purchasing DRAM or they could likely have issues.

If you check the memory configurator:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html

You will see that the D975XBX2 is not even listed for compatibility. The D975XBX is listed and only Value Select 1.8-1.9v is listed.

If you check the memory configurator:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html

You will see that the D975XBX2 is not even listed for compatibility. The D975XBX is listed and only Value Select 1.8-1.9v is listed.

Derek-

Hence my question in my original post. Corsair's info says that the memory has been "tested in an Intel-based motherboard at 800MHz" "at the low latencies of (5-5-5-12-T1) at 1.9V" which is exactly what I'm attempting.

I don't believe this is a RAM problem. My exact same system works fine with BIOS 2333 and lower, and I can RAM test all day long with the two problematic BIOSes. It's just when I try to boot Vista 64 with one of the 2 new BIOSes that there is an issue.

What I didn't see in Intel's response is "we have tested Vista 64 on a D975XBX2 with BIOS 2431 and cannot replicate your problem". I'd like to hear from someone who has.

Sean

Hence my question in my original post.

What I didn't see in Intel's response is "we have tested Vista 64 on a D975XBX2 with BIOS 2431 and cannot replicate your problem". I'd like to hear from someone who has.

I understand Sean. This is a new and very immature OS. Very few are using it on desktop platforms. There are groups currently beta testing it. You would have to join a Beta Test Group or peruse the MSDN forums for questions of this variety to be answered. I seriously doubt that you will find you answer here.

I will wait until the Vista OS is mature enough to do more than test it with virtualization.

Are you intending on using this OS for your main desktop system?

I understand Sean. This is a new and very immature OS. Very few are using it on desktop platforms. There are groups currently beta testing it. You would have to join a Beta Test Group or peruse the MSDN forums for questions of this variety to be answered. I seriously doubt that you will find you answer here.

I will wait until the Vista OS is mature enough to do more than test it with virtualization.

Are you intending on using this OS for your main desktop system?

Derek-

Yes, this is my main personal desktop system. I've also got business boxes running XP and Server 2003 64, and an HTPC running MCE.

My issue is that Intel says this board will work with Vista, but when asked about the crashes experienced with the latest BIOSes, they point to the RAM, which in this case is Corsair. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought this was the official support forum for Corsair. Do you work for Corsair?

I don't think the RAM is the problem, but I need someone to validate that. Or else I can purchase RAM that Intel lists as compatible, and get rid of my Corsair RAM. Then either Vista 64 will work and the Corsair RAM *is* at fault, or it won't work and Intel is just finger-pointing.

Sean

No. I just come here to help. I can see that you do not wish to read what I have to say, so I will just leave this thread. If you wish to see the above issue as DRAM related, then be my guest.

Good luck...

Derek-

I guess I'm confused- in every post I say I don't think my problem is RAM related. It's Intel that says this crash is RAM related. I don't have any other RAM to test on this system. If I purchase more RAM to test, it will be off Intel's list, which does not include Corsair, so they would be losing a sale. I assume Corsair purchases or borrows MBs to test their RAM on. If they have a D975XBX2, I'd like them to test Vista 64 under BIOS 2395 or 2341 and see if they have the same crash. If so, they are in a much better position to determine whether or not it is their RAM causing the problem, and seek a solution if it is. Intel does not have a system for end users to report problems with this MB, but I'm certain Corsair can communicate with them.

If I want resolution to this issue, then I need to inform the players of the problem- Intel, Microsoft and Corsair. That's why I posted here.

I know you do not have Vista 64, and I'm not sure if you have a D975XBX2. So I'm not sure there's much you can do to help anyway.

Thanks-

Sean

• Corsair Employee

Sean

I am sorry the testing we do is O.S. Independent we are not software engineers, sorry. I would suggest testing your system with http://www.memtest.org and see if it will pass at least 2-3 passes.

And we have tested this MB and not seen any problems but you have to manually configure the Bios and over clock the CPU to get the memory stable on this MB if you are using 800 Mhz memory. Since officially the Intel I975 Chipset is speced at DDR667 and 800 Mhz would be over clocking. But you can test the modules one at a time and see if you have a failing module and I would set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and maybe increase the chipset voltage since you are over clocking at 800 Mhz.

RAM Guy-

Thanks for the info. I immediately tested with MEMTEST-86, and see no problems. I don't think it's a RAM issue, but the point here is to satisfy Intel so that they look for the real issue.

I would prefer to test the RAM with no OCing, so Intel can't point to that as being the problem. Would it make sense then to set the RAM speed to 667 MHz in the BIOS and test each DIMM separately?

If I am able to get Vista 64 to boot with *some* BIOS settings, then I'll concede that there is a memory issue. If I can't boot using the most basic (and slow) settings, then I would still argue that it is not a memory problem.

Thanks-

Sean

• Corsair Employee
I would set the memory frequency at 667 MHz and then see if you still have the problems with the O.S. One step at a time would be best here. I know it takes more time but it will give you more clear information to solve the problem.

I have nearly identical setup. XBX2 QX6700 with 4 GB of XMS2 6400C memory. I tried all memory settings to see if this would clear up the problem. I even went down to 400MHZ 6-5-5-18 timings. I also tried 533 and 667. I also tried upping the voltage during these tests too.

I go back to the november bios (11/27/06) and it will boot up again. Have been running over a month with Vista on that BIOS without memory issues at stock 5-5-5-18 1.84 settings (BIOS defaults).

When booting vista RC1 in safe mode it always goes out at crcdisk.sys. I figured t was an SATA driver problem (I have all SATA 1 disk 2 DVD). It will also BSOD on the Vista installation DVD with the newer BIOS.

I have not tried to boot XP up.

Ok tested with the new BIOS and XP. XP installer seems to work, I did not actually do the install but it boots up to the install section, which has most of windows kernel actually running. I bet it is a driver problem in VISTA RC1 more than a memory problem.

I have nearly identical setup. XBX2 QX6700 with 4 GB of XMS2 6400C memory. I tried all memory settings to see if this would clear up the problem. I even went down to 400MHZ 6-5-5-18 timings. I also tried 533 and 667. I also tried upping the voltage during these tests too.

I go back to the november bios (11/27/06) and it will boot up again. Have been running over a month with Vista on that BIOS without memory issues at stock 5-5-5-18 1.84 settings (BIOS defaults).

When booting vista RC1 in safe mode it always goes out at crcdisk.sys. I figured t was an SATA driver problem (I have all SATA 1 disk 2 DVD). It will also BSOD on the Vista installation DVD with the newer BIOS.

I have not tried to boot XP up.

Mike-

Thanks a lot for the help. Is this Vista 64 or Vista 32? I've been trying 64.

I also tried many BIOS RAM settings tonight, including 667MHz and 533MHz, 5-5-5-12, 5-5-5-18, 1.84, 1.92, etc. Every time, BIOS 2431 blue screens.

Then I went back to 800MHz, 5-5-5-12, 1.84V and ran MEMTEST-86 for 1 hour 15 minutes with no errors.

Then I had an idea and disabled Core Multi in the BIOS. Sure enough, Vista 64 booted! I ran up CPU-Z (in no-driver mode) and it said 2 cores 2 threads. Normally it says 4 cores 4 threads. Then I tried OCing the CPU at 11x266, 10x300, 11x273 and 11x283, but I got the error message "System BIOS detected unsuccessful POST attempts" with 10x300 and 11x283. I had been running 10x300 just fine with BIOS 2333. I am currently up using 11x273 and everything is running fine (albeit fewer cores). Could you try disabling Core Multi in the BIOS and see if you can boot Vista?

Thanks-

Sean

RAM Guy-

Does Corsair send its memory to CMTL for testing, or does it participate in Intel's Vendor Self Tested Memory program? No Corsair RAM is in either list for the D975XBX2. I got this reply from Intel:

Quote:

Ensure the brand and part number of the memory module(s) you are using are listed as compatible with the Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2 (see both "3rd Party Tested Memory" and "Vendor Self Tested Memory" at http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx2/bx2_mem.htm#1).

It's difficult to get them to look harder if they suspect it's a RAM issue.

Thanks-

Sean

• Corsair Employee
RAM Guy-

Does Corsair send its memory to CMTL for testing, or does it participate in Intel's Vendor Self Tested Memory program? No Corsair RAM is in either list for the D975XBX2. I got this reply from Intel:

Answer: No only if there is a need, and we sent modules to Intel prior to their release of this chipset. They could not get DDR2 modules to develop the chipset or the people making them were limited.

And we have never provided our XMS modules to any OEM style MB maker as they would not qualify an over clocked part. But Chipset development is different the MB development. And our Qualification process is more detailed than any MB maker. So paying any MB maker thousands of dollars to qualify a part that will have a production life of 3-6 months is not worth it.

I know what we go thru when we develop memory and Intel in the chipset division knows us well. If you are having a problem its best to focus on the memory and the tested setting and limitation of the specific chipset and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org, but I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it

Well newest Intel BIOS for BX2 out today, still no joy booting Vista RC1. Hope that Vista released next week will boot on it. I do not think it is the memory's fault since I am not over clocking at all, and even setting the clock slower (i.e. underclocking) to 400/533/667 did not make a difference.

Mike-

Intel sent me a reply last night, a few hours before BIOS 2507 was posted, that they were able to replicate my problem and the fix was scheduled for the next BIOS release.

You are just having problems with Vista 64-bit, correct? Vista 32-bit works fine for me.

Sean

I installed WinXP, Vista-32 Ultimate and Vista-64 from the MSDN in December on a D975XBX2 with a Core2 Duo Quad 2.66 (QX6700) without any problems. Each OS would multiboot and run just fine.

I flashed my bios in Jan to the latest version, ...2431... and continued using XP while I was waiting for the latest nVidia drivers to be released.

Yesterday I began installing nVidia's 8800 GTX drivers and had no problems under XP and Vista 32-bit. When I booted into my previously working copy of 64-Bit vista I got a BSOD. I was unable to get into safe mode so with a heavy heart I moved on to the next step. After performing the usual disk and memory tests I attempted to run a recovery from the Vista64 install disk.

Much to my horror the installer also crashed with the same BSOD when I booted from the very DVD I had already installed from!.:mad:

The only thing that had changed was the bios version I was using. The latest bios appeared to be the kiss of death to vista 64. I just found this forum and it appears we are all in the same boat. This is a major bug and I do not understand why intel did not catch this in there QA process. Now all versions of vista are out in the wild there should soon be MANY MANY people who hit this wall.

I hope this helps you guys to know that I can 100% confirm this bug is not a freak of nature but is very real and easy to reproduce. :(:

PS

I am running my RAM by SPD ie at regular JDEC 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 and not 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 that this ram is capable of. I am able to run WinXP and Vista32 all day and burn in the system with SiSoft Sandra, again with no errors. It just won't boot into Vista 64 any more...

Update: My Vista64 needed to be Activated within the next few days or it would go into uncooperative mode. Using a tip from this forum I disabled Core Multiplexing in the Bios and was able to boot into Vista64 once again, giving me enough time to go online and register my legal copy before my time was up.

I have now re-enabled the full quad core functionality but I feel VERY let down that Intel, who say they want to 'delight our customers'. Like the rest of you I am not that delighted at the moment, my first taste of 64-Bit computing is a rather bitter one.

Grrrr! I need to get this working.

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Archived