The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM
JKeifer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 695964
JKeifer Reputation: 56

If it's standard ethylene glycol in the unit then, yes, it is conductive and even more so if not pure.. I've used distilled water in the past to clean electronic assemblies after getting them gunky with spilled coffee, soft drinks, etc. I am not sure what residue would remain after ethylene glycol dries but, at the voltages in question, probably don't pose much of an issue.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Timmeh's PC Specs

POST ID # = 695972
Timmeh Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_mike View Post
Curious how this all worked out for those with a burst cooler?

My H80i just burst while installing the mother board. A good portion of the coolant getting on the mobo. CPU seemed to be spared. The radiator and fans were installed and the water block was sitting off to the side when it happened. One of the hoses came off of the water block. And it certainly seemed under pressure as the coolant arched upwards from the hose. I live in Denver (no Broncos jokes please :) and maybe altitude had something to do with it.

I’m curious why some people are recommending to wash the mobo, ram, etc. Is there a conductive residue left once the parts have dried? Everything looks clean to me after drying. I’m tempted to put the stock cooler back on and see if it all works ok. I could then return the cooler to Micro Center for a new one… or maybe even a different one? I have a Cooler Master Elite 130 case by the way.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

The bolded is what happened with my H80i, though mine exploded while I was out and the computer was idle.

I have no idea what to wash the components with, as I didn't even bother trying to do that. My strategy was to snap a bunch of pictures of the damage, create a ticket, AND immediately call Corsair and see what their plan of action was/get the ball rolling. My fear was that cleaning the components would do nothing, and then Corsair, while dealing with me and my request for assistance, would have issues with whatever action I took/not warranty parts.

It took them a good bit of time (with a fair bit of me being a squeaky wheel) to get me sorted out, but I just shipped my components to them for "internal testing". They're supposed to determine whether or not the H80i was defective, and whether they'll pay for damages.

I highly suggest you go this route. While inconvenient/time consuming/incredibly frustrating (I'm going on a month with no computer ), it seems the most prudent/safe course of action to me.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696005
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
I’m curious why some people are recommending to wash the mobo, ram, etc. Is there a conductive residue left once the parts have dried?
Yes, it's conductive. So you want to wash it good and let it dry a couple of days before powering up.

A good fast drying electronice cleaner is also a good choice but can be expensive depending on where you get it. Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol works too.Make sure it's 90%

Last edited by peanutz94; 02-05-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:25 AM
longhaul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 826414
longhaul Reputation: 10

My H100i burst open as well. The hose came off at the CPU water block. It happened while the computer was turned off and had been off for about a week. I built this system about a year and a half ago.

I was fortunate in that the computer was turned off AND the power supply was turned off. I was just setting there working on another computer when the one next to me made a loud noise and burst. Very odd.

This was my best system, which cost me a fortune to build.
Case was a Lian Li PC-V2120
ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
64 GB Ram
1 Gig of SSD
2 Gig of hard drive
Core i7-4930K
GEFORCE GTX 780 TI (When I bought it this card alone cost me over $900)

The PC-V2120 is a huge tower. Most of the fluid settled at the bottom of the case. The one component though that got drenched was the 780 TI.

I'm going to disassemble every thing and clean with alcohol. We will see how things go.

I have pictures, and will be contacting Corsair.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:42 AM
longhaul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 826415

I filed a support ticket today also. We'll see how things go.

I'm going to set up a special table in the basement where I can clean this thing thoroughly and take more pictures. I'll post the results of my experience as it progresses.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:10 PM
nexy33's PC Specs

POST ID # = 826578
nexy33 Reputation: 18

Isopropyl alcohol the 99.9% pure stuff is also good for cleaning stubborn residue of boards with a short bristled brush preferably nylon bristles.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:11 PM
longhaul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 826586

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexy33 View Post
Isopropyl alcohol the 99.9% pure stuff is also good for cleaning stubborn residue of boards with a short bristled brush preferably nylon bristles.
On the 780 Ti the stuff went down in behind the fans. I'm going to get a Turkey Baster and wash down in and around the fans. I'm worried about the bearings on the fans and the cooling fins.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:07 PM
longhaul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 828659

So all my components were okay and the machine is back up and running. I'm using a Noctua air cooler and am very happy with it. I've overclocked with comparable temps.

Corsair wanted me to
1) Pay to ship the failed H100i back to them
2) Then they would determine after receipt what they would do to make good on the failed cooler. They could not tell me if I would get a new cooler.

I said no thanks, and I'm done with Corsair. It's not like I don't have other choices. LOL

Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 PM
TrailTrackers's PC Specs

POST ID # = 828673
TrailTrackers Reputation: 10

Holy crap! I am in the process of finishing up my build (all brand new parts) and after reading this I'm wondering if it was such a good idea to go with Corsair for a lot of the parts. One part being the H110i GTX.

I'm also surprised that nobody from Corsair has commented on this thread. Them "laying low" about this obvious issue scares me to death after the money I've invested in my brand new system.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:36 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 828815
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
So all my components were okay and the machine is back up and running. I'm using a Noctua air cooler and am very happy with it. I've overclocked with comparable temps.

Corsair wanted me to
1) Pay to ship the failed H100i back to them
2) Then they would determine after receipt what they would do to make good on the failed cooler. They could not tell me if I would get a new cooler.

I said no thanks, and I'm done with Corsair. It's not like I don't have other choices. LOL
If the cooler was purchased within 30 days, we will cover the shipping via a return label after the RMA has been approved. However, if there is an issue with return expenses, you can call our customer service directly and ask to see if a label can be made for you as an exception. After we get the cooler back, we'll exchange it for a new one as we don't ship out used coolers.

iCUE - A CORSAIR Interface
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue

Last edited by Corsair James; 01-02-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:41 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 828816
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTrackers View Post
Holy crap! I am in the process of finishing up my build (all brand new parts) and after reading this I'm wondering if it was such a good idea to go with Corsair for a lot of the parts. One part being the H110i GTX.

I'm also surprised that nobody from Corsair has commented on this thread. Them "laying low" about this obvious issue scares me to death after the money I've invested in my brand new system.
Most of the company is out on company shutdown and we typically don't provide technical support on the forums. If users need immediate support, you're encouraged to contact our customer service or technical support teams directly.

iCUE - A CORSAIR Interface
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue

Old 01-05-2016, 03:33 AM

POST ID # = 829257
KyloRen Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
Most of the company is out on company shutdown and we typically don't provide technical support on the forums. If users need immediate support, you're encouraged to contact our customer service or technical support teams directly.
Company shutdown?

Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 AM

POST ID # = 829288
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 124

He probably means the Christmas and New Year holiday break.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:45 PM
nexy33's PC Specs

POST ID # = 829575
nexy33 Reputation: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
On the 780 Ti the stuff went down in behind the fans. I'm going to get a Turkey Baster and wash down in and around the fans. I'm worried about the bearings on the fans and the cooling fins.
probably better trying to remove the cooler and clean with distilled water isopropyl will completely degrease any lubricants on the fans leaving the bearings dry. by all means clean the board carefully with it but i would not recommend cleaning the fans with isopropyl as it will remove the factory applied lubricants, also test a small area of any plastic isopropyl can sometimes leach the plasticiser from certain compounds and plastics making them brittle.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:21 PM
longhaul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 829872

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexy33 View Post
probably better trying to remove the cooler and clean with distilled water isopropyl will completely degrease any lubricants on the fans leaving the bearings dry. by all means clean the board carefully with it but i would not recommend cleaning the fans with isopropyl as it will remove the factory applied lubricants, also test a small area of any plastic isopropyl can sometimes leach the plasticiser from certain compounds and plastics making them brittle.
Thank you. Those are good points. It's already done, and so far no issues, but I'll take note if I need to clean components again in the future.

Tags
h80i