Corsair Community

Cables for an OLD HX1000 - Advice

I_R0M_I

Hi,

I have a really old HX1000, i believe it would be 'original HX' on the compatibility chart?

Im waiting for my 3080 to arrive, and it needs 3 8 pin PCIe cables. I have 2 hard wired, I've searched my stash, and found 2 original 6 pin PCIe cables, but no 8 pins.

The PSU itself, has 4 blue ports labelled as 6+2 PCIe Connectors, this is where i will plug either a new 8 pin cable if i can buy one. Or the 2 6 pin cables with an adapter.

Im assuming im out of luck, and that if any of the cables currently made did fit, they would show that on the chart?

Has anyone used them by any chance?

Lastly,

Rail 1 is 500w, has ATX and EPS on it.

Rail 2 is 500w, has 2 8 pin PCIe on it.

Guessing id be better off taking the 3rd supply for PCIe from rail 1? As the mobo and cpu are unlikely to drawn that much? Or stick it all on 1 rail?

Thanks

Too old for what?

Too old to buy replacement cables for, ill give you that.

I have no doubt it will run the 3080 without issue. Unless the card draws 40% more power than advertised, it wont even come close to 500w!

I'll build a new PC next year, waiting to see what happens with Intel, and PCIe 4 support.

Edited by I_R0M_I

• Corsair Employee
Too old for what?

Too old to buy replacement cables for, ill give you that.

I have no doubt it will run the 3080 without issue. Unless the card draws 40% more power than advertised, it wont even come close to 500w!

I'll build a new PC next year, waiting to see what happens with Intel, and PCIe 4 support.

It's not a matter of "1000W being enough". It's a matter of the age of the unit. Just because a PSU "works" doesn't mean it's working as well as it did new.

Old electrolytic capacitors, especially after several thermal cycles, will suffer from a decrease in capacitance and an increase in ESR. This diminishes its ability to properly filter ripple. So while the PSU may be output correct voltages, those voltages may not be as well filtered as they were 10 years ago and could potentially damage components down stream.

But to answer your question about the cables: Even the old HX1000 uses Type 3/Type 4 cables.

Definitely do not try to adapt one of the six pin connectors to PCIe. There's only one +12V pin on those connectors. Even if you use two Molex to one PCIe, that's still putting the entire load on a single output pin and that's probably going to start melting.

I recently got one of the new lower cost RM650 PSUs which are incredible with how much better it works compare with old model power supplies.

It is ether eye opening which this new model PSU has its sleeve.

RM750 and RM850 are also available for more demanding tasks