Corsair Community

Guidance request for TR3X6G1600C8D & Asus P6X58D motherboard

cderose

Hello all,

First off, let me begin by saying that I am a newbie overclocker. I'm sure you all get these kind of questions a lot, so I'll keep it brief.

I've read quite a few posts on various sites regarding overclocking of both an i7 CPU and memory. Given my specific setup, I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

The first time I turned my machine on, the memory was clocked at 1066. I understand this is the default. Once in the BIOS, I selected the AI Tweaker option. Upon viewing that screen, I selected X.M.P. as my selection for AI Overclock Tuner. This set my memory to the expected speed of 1600. The memory is installed per the motherboard's specifications in A1, B1, C1.

If I stick to using X.M.P., I can't overclock my CPU at all - is this correct? X.M.P provides novice overclockers with an "easy button" so to speak.

If I would like to overclock my CPU to 3.0 GHz (up from 2.66 default), and run the memory at ~1600, I would have to set that up manually correct? I would have to turn X.M.P off?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff

Archived