Corsair Community

Struggling to set up my fans

Soundcrank

Hey folks, I am building a new system and I am struggling to get all my fans to work correctly with my Commander PRO.

I have 3 issues.

Issue one, no lights.

Issue two, the iCue app keeps crashing when I try to update to the latest firmware and never gets beyond 0%

Issue 3, I have more fans than the commander pro can accommodate.

I have 6 LL120 White RGB Corsair fans plus the Corsair H100i white RGB twin fan cooler giving me a total of 8 fans.

The lights on my two rad fans work fine, lights, they spin etc, only it doesn't detect anywhere in my software to control the lights in sync with my fans.

The other 6 fans are spinning but none have lights, also, they keep going from 800 rpm, to max on a loop every 5 seconds irrelevant of which fan profile I use.

The 6 fans are connected to the commander PRO while the two rad fans are connected to the respective CPU block.

Am I supposed to plug the fan headers into the Commander Pro or the RGB headers? Sounds like a daft question, but the manual says fans into the fan headers, but the fans say in their instructions that the RGB headers go to the commander pro and the fans to the Mobo.

It can't really be both lol

First - on the RGB - you need to tell the Commander Pro how many fans and what type of fans are on each channel. You do this in the "Lighting Setup". See the RGB FAQ for details on the connections.

The fan instructions are generic - many users put them in the motherboard and there's no assumption that you have a Commander Pro. But when you have a CoPro, it's better to put the PWM connectors on the CoPro.

Your fan speed challenge is a common one - the default profiles are set to use the CPU temperature as the source for the curve. This results in that exact behavior that you describe and isn't ideal. Use the temperature sensors that come with the Commander Pro to set fan curves based on internal case temperature. This will be a custom curve and will be far more appropriate for your fan speeds.

First - on the RGB - you need to tell the Commander Pro how many fans and what type of fans are on each channel. You do this in the "Lighting Setup". See the RGB FAQ for details on the connections.

The fan instructions are generic - many users put them in the motherboard and there's no assumption that you have a Commander Pro. But when you have a CoPro, it's better to put the PWM connectors on the CoPro.

Your fan speed challenge is a common one - the default profiles are set to use the CPU temperature as the source for the curve. This results in that exact behavior that you describe and isn't ideal. Use the temperature sensors that come with the Commander Pro to set fan curves based on internal case temperature. This will be a custom curve and will be far more appropriate for your fan speeds.

Awesome, cheers for the info!

I have set the fans in the software but still no lights. I think I may have connected the RGB to the commander pro by mistake. From rereading, am I to connect the RGB wires to something else instead? Is that what the Node thing is for? (I don't have that though).

Will my fans behave the way they are if I connect them directly to the MoBo? because if so, then I think I've just mixed the cable around lol

The H100i Platinum SE has it's own internal lighting controller (and fan controller). The radiator fans will have both their power and lighting wires come from the cooler. All lighting and speed adjustments for the fans and pump cover RGB are done within the cooler device tab in iCUE. If you are actually using Link, you probably won't see it. Link went end-of-life long before that cooler was released.

You can sync lighting from the cooler with the 6 other fans via Lighting Link options (easy). Making comprehensive and interrelated patterns is a whole different ball game and frankly a long term project. It takes a fair bit of experience, trial and error, and some light stealing of ideas from others to really understand how the effects behave. For now, basic patterns and presets will do. Sequenced waves are harder.

You don't need the Lighting Node Pro (LNP) from what you have listed. The Commander Pro is a LNP + fan controller. So 6 case fans on the C-Pro for power. Those same 6 fans into one RGB Lighting Hub (that's lighting power). Cooler is its own powered system. All control via iCUE.

The H100i Platinum SE has it's own internal lighting controller (and fan controller). The radiator fans will have both their power and lighting wires come from the cooler. All lighting and speed adjustments for the fans and pump cover RGB are done within the cooler device tab in iCUE. If you are actually using Link, you probably won't see it. Link went end-of-life long before that cooler was released.

You can sync lighting from the cooler with the 6 other fans via Lighting Link options (easy). Making comprehensive and interrelated patterns is a whole different ball game and frankly a long term project. It takes a fair bit of experience, trial and error, and some light stealing of ideas from others to really understand how the effects behave. For now, basic patterns and presets will do. Sequenced waves are harder.

You don't need the Lighting Node Pro (LNP) from what you have listed. The Commander Pro is a LNP + fan controller. So 6 case fans on the C-Pro for power. Those same 6 fans into one RGB Lighting Hub (that's lighting power). Cooler is its own powered system. All control via iCUE.

Excellent, thank you. Can you recommend and decent RGB hubs that work with iCue? I only have 3 rgb headers on my board