The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 08:35 PM
henmen123's PC Specs

POST ID # = 872242
henmen123 Reputation: 10
Confused Corsair h115i Default fan profiles not working

I have the corsair h115i watercooler and for some reason in the corsair link software the quiet fan mode hardly works. It seems the displayed fan profile for it is not in use at all. It will ramp up the fans fairly high until the water temp reaches 40c and then it will put them on full blast. I am annoyed because I just Rma'd my h115i and the new cooler came today and it has the same problem as my last. I have tried changing the corsair link plug to the different usb motherboard header and that did not help. The custom fan profile works fine but I am wondering why the built in profiles do not work. I have the latest corsair link software, do you think they just need to update it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 AM
henmen123's PC Specs

POST ID # = 872259

Also, my ambient room temp is 75f and my idle h115i water temp is 87f is that normal? it seems a little high. I am using speedstep and all power saving features on balanced windows power profile.

edit+ Also, I have my window open by my computer and some of my cores are 21c and the coolant is 27c... isnt that not possible?

Last edited by henmen123; 09-21-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:35 AM
snapper69's PC Specs

POST ID # = 872279
snapper69 Reputation: 32

As far as I'm aware, it isn't possible to have the cpu cooler than the water. Do you have any of the Asus monitoring software running? Link doesn't play well with other software. 7.5 degrees C between ambient and idle doesn't seem too bad.

Could you please stick with either c or f, preferably c, cos doing conversions gives me a headache.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:10 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 872293
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Are you running AI Suite or another monitoring program at the same time as Link?

Old 09-21-2016, 12:16 PM
henmen123's PC Specs

POST ID # = 872339

Nope no other monitoring software, I used to use ai suite for fan control but I got the new 400c case which came with quiet stock fans so I can do it all in the uefi. The ai suite used to give me warnings like cpu -100c

well actually msi afterburner monitors cpu and that stuff too i guess.

Last edited by henmen123; 09-21-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 872372
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Ok, well in response to the original question, 30C (87F) is not overly warm for a 23C ambient room temperature. There is no exact range. It is dependent on your power settings, voltage, fan/radiator type, and the overall case layout. A general average might be water temp 4-7C above room temp. Smaller cases and smaller coolers will have a higher delta. Bigger cases or flow through designs less. GPU usage affects this as well, so the numbers don't really hold after a gaming session or something similar. I assume you must have the H115i in the front panel as intake. Regardless, taking the time and effort to reduce it by 2C may not be in your best interest. That's 2C saved at idle -- not a useful place to take a reduction.

As for the variable CPU core temps, there are several possibilities. First, is the measurement of the core temp provided by the CPU. While we talk about core temps not being below the water temp, those sensors are in two different places and the CPU is not taking a bath. They are adjacent and the CPU heat originates in the CPU before being transferred out. Voltage changes in milliseconds and it is hard to tell a modern CPU to be still. The water is also dynamic and it the sensor is taking a periodic reading as water flows by. Every molecule of water is not the same temperature. So, there is quite a bit of variability and you really never reach equilibrium. I would be more concerned if there were large differences and some other problem.

If you are trying to sniff out a cooler problem, the load results will be more telling. You should get a steady rise when a full load is applied before it levels off. When you quit the program, the water temp should drop almost immediate by several degrees and then the final few back to the start point over 5 minutes or so. If the water stays at an elevated level, that would suggest either a cooler problem or a case heat management issue.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 PM
henmen123's PC Specs

POST ID # = 872414

Alright yeah the temps seem about right. Thanks for the response!

Tags
corsair, fan, h115i, watercooler