Corsair Community

High number of CX models failing

Hello

I learned about the SF series recall and wanted to leave a post here to mention that a lot of new CX550 and CX650 have been failing (actually kind of exploding) in Brazil last month. Maybe Corsair is not well aware of it since customers are using the retailer warranty. I bought a CX650 in may and it presented the issue a couple days after installing.

There is a thread with around 200 messages and 15K views in a Brazilian forum about this issue.

Some people seem to have even RMA'd their defective power supply and received other with the same problem. As far as I know, most of the defective PSUs share serial numbers 195048XX (CX650) and 200248XX (CX550).

I don't know if the problem is the same as the SF series, but the problem seems to happen on the AC side, my PSU sparked even when the computer was turned off although connected to mains. Also high temperatures and high humidity are common here. A video of the problem can be found [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59idavPmrk]here[/ame].

Hello, I live in Brazil and I also had the same problem with a cx 650 2 after it was purchased and installed on my pc, the source simply exploded on my pc, fortunately it didn't burn too many parts, I have already activated the shopkeeper's warranty. Corsair has to comment on it said, many people are having the same problems with sources of models cx 550 and cx650

• 2 weeks later...
Yes! I have seen many reports in the Brazilian forums, it is chaos. Many CX550 and CX650 sources in the Brazilian market and in reliable suppliers with the same problem. I hope Corsair will provide a large-scale fix in addition to RMA.

• 3 weeks later...
maybe switching to the RM650x would be a safer choice and its more efficient too

The RM650x is almost twice the price of the CX650 :(

One month later and not a single reply from a Corsair employee. People have reported the same problem with the CX750, TX750m and TX650m. Usually the exploding PSUs have one thing in common, the SN XXXX48XX...

Corsair does nothing about it and people keed sending the PSUs to the retailer, many times receiving another defective one.

• Corsair Employee
The RM650x is almost twice the price of the CX650 :(

As it should be. It's about twice as good! :D

One month later and not a single reply from a Corsair employee.

That's because you should contact Corsair. Posting in the user forums doesn't get you a direct line to a Corsair employee. These are Corsair USER forums.

I'm just here to help. But there's not much I can do to help about dead CX power supplies. I've seen the threads. If you need support (answers, exchange, damage claims, etc.), you need to contact support.

Isn't there an email for support specifically for people in Brazil?

Edited by jonnyguru

As it should be. It's about twice as good! :D

Yes, and I agree. I just think that people looking for a budget PSU would not want to pay double.

That's because you should contact Corsair. Posting in the user forums doesn't get you a direct line to a Corsair employee. These are Corsair USER forums.

Sorry, I got that wrong, my bad. I thought Corsair employees managed the forum. I posted on the forums because I thought it would shed more light on the issue.

Isn't there an email for support specifically for people in Brazil?

Yes, there are means I could get in contact. I already RMA'd my PSU to the retailer.

Corsair of Brasil is also aware of the problem, but they have not really done anything. I really think Corsair should investigate and probably extend the recall to all the affected series.

• Corsair Employee

Corsair of Brasil is also aware of the problem, but they have not really done anything. I really think Corsair should investigate and probably extend the recall to all the affected series.

So you contacted Brazil service and they did not reply?

Who was the retailer? Kabum? Did anyone there seem to know something?

Kabum seems to be a large vendor of computer components in Brazil. It appears that they were overwhelmed by the number of failed CX series power supplies.

I read the forum posts which have grown in number quite rapidly. It seems that their has been a focus on a certain lot number which has an unusually high failure rate.

Makes me speculate that manufacturing was cutting corners leading to problems.

So you contacted Brazil service and they did not reply?

Who was the retailer? Kabum? Did anyone there seem to know something?

I did not contact them, someone from Corsair in Brazil replied to the thread.

He said people could mention the thread when submitting an RMA request.

Yes, I bought both my PSUs from Kabum. The CX650 exploded in the second day of use, the TX650m has been working for around a month (but I am kind of worried since it has the XXXX48XX SN)

Kabum seems to be a large vendor of computer components in Brazil. It appears that they were overwhelmed by the number of failed CX series power supplies.

I read the forum posts which have grown in number quite rapidly. It seems that their has been a focus on a certain lot number which has an unusually high failure rate.

Makes me speculate that manufacturing was cutting corners leading to problems.

Yes, Kabum is super popular. Most of the defective PSUs were bought there.

Ironically, it is the sound of an explosion (Ka-boom).

Kabum had removed the CX650 and CX550 from the store, I mean like broken-link removed, not out of stock. They have since put them up for sale again, I hope it is a different lot.

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this topic, since I've just read that Corsair is issuing a recall on their HX1200/1200i series because of a compatibility issue (@Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-issues-hx1200-hx1200i-psu-recall ), while this, being a way more serious case that have tens of reports still don't even have a public note about it.

It saddens me since I own several Corsair products for more than a decade, from cases to PSUs, and find this lack of interest in supporting a specific product line baffling.

• Corsair Employee
I'm bumping this topic, since I've just read that Corsair is issuing a recall on their HX1200/1200i series because of a compatibility issue (@Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-issues-hx1200-hx1200i-psu-recall ), while this, being a way more serious case that have tens of reports still don't even have a public note about it.

It saddens me since I own several Corsair products for more than a decade, from cases to PSUs, and find this lack of interest in supporting a specific product line baffling.

Lack of interest in supporting specific product lines? What do you mean by that?

The HX1200 issue and recall were listed HERE in these forums: https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201807 BACK IN NOVEMBER.

And was done at a channel level as well to prevent the units from getting in customers hands.

PSUs are supported equally to every other product at Corsair. The "issue" is that a power supply is a far more complicated device and, next to RAM, is sold in a much higher volume than any other product category sold by Corsair.

Even with this one thread with several "complaints" about the CX, one has to take into consideration that Corsair sells hundreds of thousands of PSUs and makes up over 40% of the market share. The actual failure rate for CX is still < 1%. But the 99% that has the product that doesn't take the time to say it works, are easily shouted down by the < 1% that are upset that the product did not work.

Even the HX/HXi issue only accounts for < 5% of the total HX/HXi product on the market at that time.

Lack of interest in supporting specific product lines? What do you mean by that?

I meant proactively supporting them. Both TX and CX reported as having issues seem to be tied to the SF case on the pinned topic: manufactured by Great Wall and apparently in the same serial # range. Why not offer the same voluntary replacement/store recall of unsold units to those as well?

There were cases where the owner of such defective PSUs would receive another problematic PSU for a replacement by the e-tailer. I've even read a report or two of this happening twice.

For me, one of the last things I'd want to have my PSU doing is exploding inside my case, even though protections might be in place to prevent damage on parts.

I don't know about Corsair's PSU market share on Brazil, but I know for sure that people that frequent forums and other online communities are now wary of buying and/or recommending people to buy such PSUs.

• 2 weeks later...