Corsair Community

X2 Build | PSU Recommendation (must order tonight)

.aT

Very impressed with the Corsair line of psu's. I just can't decide which one! lol And yes, the Corsair rebate deadline is midnight tonight so I do need your help, please - thank you.

I am not in need of a hulky psu, just a well-built and dependable one, as is the Corsair. I like the thought of the CWT built HX550, since that's who built my current psu running strong and no prob's for almost five years but also know that Seasonic is reliable as well. The three models I am considering:

HX450

HX550

CX520

I have allocated $100 +/- for the psu, knowing it is the foundation of the system. If you felt I needed more headroom, then I'd be willing to up the dollar amount. The rebates should help with cost, as well.

I've always been of the thought that least resistance is better but the modular cabling on the 520 doesn't seem to effect it's output at all; ie, any power flucuations are minimal and well within specs. So the thought of only using the cables I need is a fine one but isn't a must for me; ie, not a deciding factor, necessarily.

My build specs:

Abit AN78GS Socket AM2+|GeForce 8200|FSB 5200|DDR2-1066|Hybrid SLI|ATX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition

2048MB PC6400 (2x1GB)

WD Caviar SE16 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LITE-ON Black 20X 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner

Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Case

Fans: 140mm top x1, 120mm x1 back, HSF, 120mm x2 front

Future Additions: EVGA 8800GT 512MB 256-bit or EVGA 8500 GT 512MB 128-bit (GeForce graphics boost)

I only plan on using x1 SATA HD but might add a 2nd drive at some point, maybe small one for programs and for boot so I included it in my power calc's (it adds 29W). I included three different possible setups; ie, onboard video | 8500GT | 8800GT.

BASIC COMMON SPECS

System Type: Single Processor

Motherboard: High End - Desktop

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ EE 2600 MHz AM2 Brisbane

CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM

SATA HDD: 2 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

PCI Network Interface Card: Yes

USB: 2 Devices

Fans | Regular: 3 Fans 120mm; 1 Fan 140mm

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 90 %

Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 20 %

WITH ONBOARD VIDEO

Recommended Wattage: 253 Watts

Recommended Amperage: 7.8 A (+3.3V) 11.4 A (+5V) 14.2 (+12V)

Recommended UPS rating: 500 VA

WITH 8500GT

Recommended Wattage: 296 Watts

Recommended Amperage: 8.3 (+3.3V) 11.4 (+5V) 17.6 (+12V)

Recommended UPS rating: 500 VA

WITH 8800GT

Recommended Wattage: 340 Watts

Recommended Amperage: 9.1 A (+3.3V) 11.4 A (+5V) 21.1 A (+12V)

Recommended UPS rating: 600 V

I am not a heavy gamer and can never seeing needing SLi with this build but definitely will start playing more with this new system. It will mainly be used for video output to my TV, some videoediting/encoding, dvd burning, internet, etc. Also, I really may want to simply use the GeForce Boost feature of the mobo, that is, using a 8500GT combined with the onboard 8200 equals 8600GT. I did not know if this actually changed my power needs. I'd like to think I will be getting an 8800GT to just run as a standalone but even in that case, I will still be using onboard graphics out to tv and having my LCD monitor hooked up to the 8800GT.

I realize that my understanding of psu's may be misguided but I was thinking that I should target the size at the stage where maximum effeciency occurs r/t my wattage requirements. And since even the HX450 meets my amp needs, I thought that might be the way to decide. Heck, I'll admit, I've over-researched all this and find myself a bit perplexed. lol Also, a psu is only going to draw what it needs so even if I went with the HX550, it wouldn't draw anymore power than the HX450 while the system is idle, correct?

My only other concern is that I am using an Antec 300 case, which I like. The psu will be mounted on the bottom and will need to be upside down. I have concerns about dust (bunnies) getting in the psu in that orientation. Should I be concerned? Also, I read some users were still pointing the fan down w/o hole mod in case since the psu sits on risen area on bottom. That couldn't possibly get enough airflow, could it?

I really appreciate this...I know you get alot of rec' requests and they are old hat to you but I really am stuck and have become a newly'found fan of Corsair and want to pick the best for my build. Thank you for your time and help.

• Corsair Employee

All the PSUs you listed should give you plenty of power for your system. If you don't mind the fixed cables then the VX450 will work just fine. If you want some flexibility and think you might upgrade your video card at some point to a card that uses more than a single PCIE connector then I would go with the HX520 or VX550. The main difference between the HX520 and VX550 is the modular cables on the HX series. You honestly can't go wrong with any of these 3 PSUs, so it really comes down to your own personal preference.

To answer you other questions, the PSU will only draw enough power to power your system, meaning if your system only requires 300 watts under a certain load, then it doesn't matter if you have an HX520 or an HX1000, the PSU will only deliver 300 watts. If the PSU sits flush against the bottom of your case then I would install it upside down. If you have even a few millimeters underneath the PSU, then you should be able to install it right side up. Either way, I wouldn't worry about dust effecting anything, I would suspect that just as much dust will fall into the PSU no matter which way you install it.

My mobo allows me to run a discrete gc while also using the onboard 8200 graphics. How much amps/wattage will the onboard gc add to my needs in this case. I realize it is not SLi but it would seem to me that there would an amount to consider.

BTW...thanks to you I've decided to go with the HX550. If I were to go as high as a 9800GT, I'm assuming that will still be ample? I do realize it is a redoing, basically, of the 8800GT but the 9800GT will allow me to use the Hybrid Power feature.

Appreciate the answers to the followup. Thank you.

• Corsair Employee
Even with the 9800GT and the hybrid functionality, our HX520 should be more than enough. You may need to contact Nvidia to find out how much wattage is used by enabling the hybrid power mode, I have not yet seen any concrete specifications.

Thanks for the reassurance, RG...I should have mentioned before but I went with the HX550. It was a close call and the specs on both made me happy (lol) but in the end, I went with HX550. Appreciate all of your help and assistance on this and for getting me unstuck on my decision. Cheers!

Archived