Corsair Community

H45 drone noise at 4k rpm pumpspeed

the1andonlydave

Hi,

i wanted to silence my Pentium g4560 (no OC, 54W TDP), so i bought a H45 and connected the pump to pwm. I replaced the fan with a cheap coolermaster spinning at around 600rpm, so i can't hear the fans it in a totally silent room 50cm away from my pc at my desk.

But the Pump of the H45 makes a really "loud" drone noise, like a vibrating dvd burner on a wooden table, but a bit quieter. It goes near silent if i clock the reported 4500rpm to around 3k-3,5k rpm at my bios.

Temps are with stockfan H45 and new fan on H45 at full RPM around 40° C at prime tests, and around 46° C with intel boxed fan. Idle temps in all setups around 30° C, with nearly 30° C inside case and 27° C room temp, so the H45 has to cool very little heat away.

Because the H45 have a separate connector with only the pump connected (i think, or is there any chipset/board inside?) and no LED, USB or anything, and the fan(s) on separate connections: Is it safe (for the H45, not the CPU or other components) to powerdown the pump to round about 60-70% of the speed it gets on 12V? Does it increase wearing-out in a very high level (destroying pump in way less than 24 months)? Or is all that talk about "stay on 12V ever!" only for the other Corsair Hydro AIOs with a lot more compenents on pump-power-cable, like usb, led-lights, controlling board?

If not, do you know if that loud sound is a valid RMA reason in germany?

• 3 years later...

This is a long-time answer but maybe this helps other owners of H45 corsair cooler.

I have one of this and, maybe it is another revision, because no matter how I change the PWM, the pump jack always reads around 4300 RPM. So the pump probably got designed differently to allow (or ignore) it to always run at the same pumping speed -- or maybe it just always inform the same rpm although it could be running slower, just to mask the fact it works where it shouldn't be run behind 100% power.

This result and the feedback from this post suggest the pump should always go at 100%. But I have been running the pump at "silent" and "normal" BIOS power policies for a long, long time, without signs of it dying or performing badly.

No matter at 0% workload (minimal pwm input) or 100%, the noise coming from the assembly is the exact same (and I can't tell there's noise coming from the pump) and the RPM reading is still around 4300RPM.

Notice though my H45 informs a ~4300RPM while the report here states 4500RPM, so there are most likely "revision changes" between mine and thread OP's H45s.