Corsair Community

Lag when holding *-lock keys

Jo0Lz

Got the K70 RGB today, Cherry MX Brown.

Installed the software, connected the device to a USB 3 port, and all is glorious. Lovely colors, even made some key effects when pressing a button. Cool.

When I play Counter Strike GO however, I use the capslock key as a push to talk button in game. This was all fine with my K95 keyboard, but on the K70 RGB, it causes the game to lag as long as I hold the key.

I tested some things, and it happens when I hold the (unbound) num and scroll lock buttons too. I've tried updating the firmware (latest version already installed) and software (again, latest version already installed.)

Anyone having the same issues? Anyone having a fix? I need this to work properly, something like holding a button causing lag is just stupid. Maybe I need some kind of compatibility setting?

This issue should be fixed in the latest Firmware 1.20 if I remember right, unless it's a different issue from the one I remember.

Which firmware version do you have on your K70 RGB right now? You can check it in the devices tab in CUE.

no issues like that while using any of the RGB keyboards when playing CSGO. try reinstalling the game and clearing out the games settings, and reinstalling CUE and clearing out the CUE's settings too. Also do you have any other software running that would be listening for a caps lock key press?

Okay, well I tried quitting whatpulse, and also disabling auto-hotkey, but to no avail. If I press any of the lock keys, the game will lag as long as I hold it.

I am running Windows 10, build 10130, I can't test it on Windows 8 now, but maybe running the software in compatiblity mode will solve it.. Will have to test more.

Windows 10 is not out officially and CUE has not been tested with it yet either as far as I know. It might be a bug in Win10 itself that will be fixed for the final release or it might be something the developers need to fix in CUE. Trying to get things working with a beta release is never a good idea in the end.

Until it gets released as stable it won't be supported either way.

Windows 10 is not out officially and CUE has not been tested with it yet either as far as I know. It might be a bug in Win10 itself that will be fixed for the final release or it might be something the developers need to fix in CUE. Trying to get things working with a beta release is never a good idea in the end.

Until it gets released as stable it won't be supported either way.

I haven't had any real issues with running the TP of Windows 10. I am member of the insider program and give feedback when things are off with software and/or hardware.

This being said, I am going to test the same situation on Windows 8 sometime this week, but I'm probably going to get the same results.

To be honest, Windows 10 is almost done, and it's certainly a whole lot better compared to the ****ty software Corsair released with this keyboard.

If you're able to replicate on Win 8 that will certainly help.

CUE has been working just fine for me thought, I've had a few minor issues but they're getting fixed with each update. Only a couple are left now. So far my experience has certainly been good :)

• Corsair Employee

Does the game lag when you hold down any other button besides caps lock? We did resolve issues with the lock buttons crashing the keyboard but I wonder if that may have had impacted using "hold down" functionality.

This is actually a firmware issue btw, not software (in reference to your "sh**ty" comment. :): )

If you're able to replicate on Win 8 that will certainly help.

CUE has been working just fine for me thought, I've had a few minor issues but they're getting fixed with each update. Only a couple are left now. So far my experience has certainly been good :)

Yeah, well I've had some issues with profiles and the software becoming unresponsive for minutes... No real crashes though, so they might just be related to the profiles I was trying to import.

Or you could plug in another keyboard and see if the problem still happens.

I have the K95 Non-RGB here, which I just tested; works fine. (Worked fine before I swapped it out for the K70 RGB)

Does the game lag when you hold down any other button besides caps lock? We did resolve issues with the lock buttons crashing the keyboard but I wonder if that may have had impacted using "hold down" functionality.

This is actually a firmware issue btw, not software (in reference to your "sh**ty" comment. :): )

Well, I just learned it does this extremely with all the lock buttons. And not just in-game, also in Windows. I grab a window and move it around, when I hold one of the lock keys, it starts to stutter. But looking more closely, pressing all other buttons also creates minor stutter when testing. Haven't noticed that ingame though.

The software isn't ****ty per-se, but the overall feel of it is that it just isn't as polished as you would expect.

• Corsair Employee
Yeah, well I've had some issues with profiles and the software becoming unresponsive for minutes... No real crashes though, so they might just be related to the profiles I was trying to import.

I have the K95 Non-RGB here, which I just tested; works fine. (Worked fine before I swapped it out for the K70 RGB)

Well, I just learned it does this extremely with all the lock buttons. And not just in-game, also in Windows. I grab a window and move it around, when I hold one of the lock keys, it starts to stutter. But looking more closely, pressing all other buttons also creates minor stutter when testing. Haven't noticed that ingame though.

The software isn't ****ty per-se, but the overall feel of it is that it just isn't as polished as you would expect.

We've come a long way with the software but I understand it's still not perfect. The beast that is software is that depending on the system setup, it may have effects that we can't replicate or fix if its not consistent. We've been able to resolve the ones we can track.

Given that though, I will report this to our validations team to test and see if we can mimic.

We've come a long way with the software but I understand it's still not perfect. The beast that is software is that depending on the system setup, it may have effects that we can't replicate or fix if its not consistent. We've been able to resolve the ones we can track.

Given that though, I will report this to our validations team to test and see if we can mimic.

I see now that it is a firmware issue. Even with the software not running, there is lag when pressing the lock buttons. That being said, the little bit of lag while pressing other keys is something to investigate as well. The best way to see it is to take a random window in windows, and move it around with your mouse. Then start pressing/holding keys, holding the lock keys will make it lag a lot, holding the other keys just a little bit.

That little bit of lag can be a real pain as well, specially in games where you need to have zero input lag, like CS:GO.

Thanks for passing this on internally, I hope something can be done about it sometime soon. If you can, let us know by following up :)

When you experience the performance slow down while holding on a key, can you see if you are getting above normal CPU or GPU activity?

If you could look at how busy your cores are and compare 'at rest' and 'while holding down the key'. I'm curious of whether there is a difference in CPU activity.

Did you try using different polling rates, or perhaps even a different UBS port?

@James, is it still possible to tweak the polling rate of the KB? I can see the setting it he device menu, but it seems it's greyed out. Is it triggered by the switch in the back of the KB?

Well, taskmanager doesn't show any increase in CPU usage when holding the lock keys.

Also tried changing the polling rate with the switch on the back of the keyboard, doesn't change the behaviour.

Did try other USB ports, doesn't seem to do anything. It's now connected to a USB 3.0 port, tried both plugs on 2.0, but it doesn't change.

Any progress? Did you guys manage to replicate the problem?

The issue is getting a little tedious, I now connect my K95 Non-RGB to play games :(:

With Windows 10 coming out in a few weeks, I was doing some testing with drivers and BIOS versions of my motherboard. While I had the issue with my desktop and Win 10/Win 8.1, the issues didn't occur on a laptop I managed to test on, also with Windows 10.

Next week I will be doing a clean install pending the final release of Windows 10; I'll check and verify that the issue persists with a clean Windows installation on the Desktop.

Okay, so I just upgraded my BIOS and reinstalled Windows 8.1.

Updated all drivers, and it seems that the input lag has been reduced. It's not gone completely yet, which is odd, but I can't replicate the exact issue I had before.

Pending the final release of Windows 10, I'll leave this desktop as is, and install the updates to see if it doesn't break again.

Archived