Corsair Community

LL120 on Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra

htca

Hej, I have a LL120 fan which I would like to connect directly to my motherboard. My mother board has 2 types of connectors (both 2 times):

• 3 pins addressable LED (5V)
  • 4 pins 5050 RGB LED strip headers (12V)

Because the manual of LL120 stated that it needs 12volt and it is 4 wires, I connected it to the 4 pins header. But I do not get any light out of it. Except when I connect the header while running.... :bigeyes: But it is not configurable anyhow with RGB fusion (beside I would like to have my case closed whil running and not putting the cable each time on the header after starting...).

I tried also the 3 pin header, but that did not gave me a show either.

I was in the understanding that the fan could be connected directly to my motherboard without any other device in between. Is my understanding wrong or do I make a mistake?

No, it has to have both a lighting power and fan motor power source. The standard 4 pin PWM header goes on the motherboard like any other. The smaller flat 3 wire is a proprietary 5v RGB line and it supplies lighting power - about 0.7A worth per LL fan. Do not plug that into anything unless you are sure. It normally goes into a RGB Lighting Hub that is SATA powered from the PSU. Then the lighting power conduit goes into a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro that serves as the software interface so you can control it. That is a lot for 1 fan.

The 5v headers on these boards were meant to act as RGB strip controls. While in the end the fan is a pair of 12/4 LED strips wrapped around it, but I am not sure control would work from the board.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

No, it has to have both a lighting power and fan motor power source. The standard 4 pin PWM header goes on the motherboard like any other. The smaller flat 3 wire is a proprietary 5v RGB line and it supplies lighting power - about 0.7A worth per LL fan. Do not plug that into anything unless you are sure. It normally goes into a RGB Lighting Hub that is SATA powered from the PSU. Then the lighting power conduit goes into a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro that serves as the software interface so you can control it. That is a lot for 1 fan.

The 5v headers on these boards were meant to act as RGB strip controls. While in the end the fan is a pair of 12/4 LED strips wrapped around it, but I am not sure control would work from the board.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

My fan has 2 time 4 wired pins. 1 PWM and 1 RGB. But I understand that I need a LNP or CP.... that's a bummer for only one fan...