The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM
devdevil85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641514
devdevil85 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post
OP, firstly, what paste did you replace the stock option with? And how much are you putting on? Are you spreading it manually or letting the coldplate spread it for you?

The accepted method for modern pastes is a 'grain of rice' sized strip in the middle of the cpu, and allow the cooler to spread the paste as you tighten it into place. This will ensure an even spread with a minimal amount required.
I used a "grain of rice" or a "pea" size of Arctic Silver 5 placed in the middle of the chip so that the paste would be evenly spread once I placed the cooler on top.

Here's a video that I used to ensure I did it properly:
http://teksyndicate.com/videos/how-apply-thermal-paste

The Core Temp is fine to me, but the socket temp is too hig (which should have nothing to do with thermal paste, right?). My fan and filter will be here tomorrow. If they don't help my socket temp issue then I will reapply the thermal paste again, maybe I didn't make the pea big enough.

Lastly, is it normal to see your Core Temp fluctuate continuously? Mine goes between 11C-17C randomly.

Last edited by devdevil85; 03-19-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Bing's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641520
Bing Reputation: 7

Core temp flux is normal when you're reading the package temp as its the temp of the actual CPU rather than a specific core, so when each core goes up or down, this affects the package temp.

What's bothering me is your socket temp. I definitely think there's something wrong with it. I don't think your Corsair cooler is at fault, and we've now established you've applied paste properly. Your internal case temps are good too so not heat soak related either. Your fan and filter you've ordered wont help with this problem I don't think.

Have you access to another motherboard? Maybe a friend can lend you his for an hour to test? You might have a faulty socket temp sensor or a fault with the board is causing genuine high temps.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 AM
devdevil85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641829
devdevil85 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post
Core temp flux is normal when you're reading the package temp as its the temp of the actual CPU rather than a specific core, so when each core goes up or down, this affects the package temp.

What's bothering me is your socket temp. I definitely think there's something wrong with it. I don't think your Corsair cooler is at fault, and we've now established you've applied paste properly. Your internal case temps are good too so not heat soak related either. Your fan and filter you've ordered wont help with this problem I don't think.

Have you access to another motherboard? Maybe a friend can lend you his for an hour to test? You might have a faulty socket temp sensor or a fault with the board is causing genuine high temps.
I just installed the new 140mm fan and filter to blow cool air into the case (over the socket/VRMs) and have the H110 fans as exhaust. This is what I'm getting for Max temps at 4.4Ghz

Socket temp is at 61C, and at idle it's 29C. If I take the top case fan filter off and expose the fans themselves I see a slight tip of ~3-4C in Socket temp. Anyways, what do you think? Bad Socket sensor?

Last edited by devdevil85; 03-21-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
smorch's PC Specs

POST ID # = 687184
smorch Reputation: 10
Default FX-8350 + Corsair H80i under load @ ~ 45 C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85 View Post
61C is very high for a 8350 considering 62C is the max Core Temp.

Here's a review using a stock AMD LCS where @4.4Ghz (my current clock), in Silent Mode, at stock voltage, they were getting temps ~28C at idle and ~33C at full load:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Process...and-Conclusion

I'm pulling 33C idle, 61C full load which are way too high considering the H110 should easily beat the AMD stock liquid cooler.

Hopefully somebody from Corsair can help me figure this out or else I'm gonna send it back.
I read the review you referenced, and also your thread. Both yourself and the other reviewer mention temperatures "under load", but don't mention what benchmark was used to put the processor under load (if you or the other reviewer mentioned the load benchmark, I missed it... if so appologies). I've benchmarked my FX-8350 system alot in the past, and the most widely accepted benchmarks for testing an FX-8350 under load are Prime95 or Intel Burntest benchmarks. I tend to use Prime95 more frequently, but have also used Intel burntest.

It's quite possible the reviewer you cite, who was using the AMD liquid cooler, did not use either Prime95 or Intel Burntest, and perhaps the load was not as extreme as the load you put on your processor. I generally don't like reviews that don't mention what benchmarks were used to put the system under load.
For all you know, that reviewer was running a game that didn't put heavy load on his system.

When I moved from my Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 (air cooler) to my current Corsair H80i liquid cooler I was pleasantly surprised with my initial benchmarking, done about a month after you started this thread.

Since that time I have overclocked at 4.4 Ghz, 4.5 Ghz, 4.6Ghz, 4.7 Ghz, 4.8 GHz, 4.9 GHz, 5.0 GHz. Prime95 ran without error on all overclocks up to 4.8 Ghz. Above 4.8 Ghz, Prime95 would yield errors on some cores, but my system would still run, and I could run other non-benchmark applications.

Your thread peaked my interest, since I haven't benchmarked my system in
almost 6 months. And, since it's winter, and we keep our home cooler than average, I expect lower temperatures under load.

I have just benchmarked my FX-8350 using my Corsair H80i, with the following results:

FX-8350 overclocked to 4.7 GHz (using core multiplier, disabling all power
saving features, etc.)

Corsair H80i set to "performance" mode.

Ambient room temperature at 15.4 C (~ 60 F).

Results at "idle":

19.8 C (~ 67.6 F)

Results at "load" (after running Prime95 for 23 minutes):

44.6 C (~ 112.3 F)

The above temperature results are averages; the temperature under load fluctuated between 41 C to 49 C, but never exceed 50 C.

My ambient room temperature was 15.4 C. I believe you indicated your ambient temp was 24 C. If we simply add 8.6 C difference to my results we get the following results (again FX-8350 overclocked at 4.7 GHz):

Results at "idle", ambient adjusted to match yours:

28.4 C (~ 83.1 F)

Results at "load", ambient adjusted to match yours:

53.2 C (~ 127.7 F)

Given you indicated your results were:

IDLE: 33 C
LOAD: 61 C

My ambient adjusted results (especially) under load, are quite a bit lower than your measurements. If I'm recalling correctly, your overclock was at 4.4 GHz, where mine is 300 MHz higher at 4.7 GHz.

Reviews I've read in the past indicate the H110 should perform as well if not better than the H80i (although several review report the H80i performing better than it's big brother, the H100i, primarily due to more radiator surface area). The H110 has 140 mm fans and have a fixed rpm of around 1500 rpm, whereas my H80i has 120 mm fans, rotate up to 2500 mm. My fans in performance mode rotate at about 2192 rpm. I can't be sure whether your 140 mm fans rotating at 1500 rpm produce more or less airflow (and static pressure), than my 120 mm fans rotating at 2192 rpm. I know 140 mm fans don't have to rotate as fast to produce the same airflow as 120 mm fans rotate a bit faster. But the H110 does come with software control for the fans, so you're pretty much stuck at 1500 rpm, unless you buy 3rd party fan control software. The H80i (and H100i) do come with Corsair link, so you have complete control of fan speed. If I set my H80i to maximum speed, instead of performance mode, I might have lowered my resultant temps by a few degrees celsius.

Installation of the H110 and how many fans are used can certainly affect
temperatures. Airflow of the radiator fans (push vs. pull) also impact temperatures. Case airflow again is key, which impacts case air pressure; if done right, you can have a low dust environment inside your case. Dust build-up can be another source of heat. If you look back at the pictures shown in the review you cite, those fans had quite a bit of dust on them.

Again, if I recall correctly, the pictures of your system show your H110 radiator mounted at the top of your case, which is typical...but correct me if I am wrong... are there no fans mounted on the bottom of the radiator? If that's correct, then I assume you only have fans mounted on the top of the radiator and are doing a "pull" configuration... I'm guessing a push-pull configuration would yield much better results (i.e. - 4 fans).

Well, if you do read my response (given it's been almost nine months since you posted this thread), let me know if you've resolved your temperature problems, assuming you still have your H110 in the mix.

Cheers, and happy holidays.

Last edited by smorch; 12-12-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typos, and left out some information

Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Stoggy26's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736134
Stoggy26 Reputation: 20

Got the same setup yours is doing alot better than mine running prime95

Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Sinistercr0c's PC Specs

POST ID # = 739455
Sinistercr0c Reputation: 12

I've been searching for any posts regarding the FX8350 CPU and H80i coolers. I've just installed a brand new FX8350 on an ASUS Sabertooth (rev 1.0) motherboard and am also seeing idle temps of 34/35°C and maximum load temps of 60/61°C using Prime95 as the stress test.

My OC is 4.6Ghz with a CPU voltage of 1.4v

I'm using Noctua's thermal paste and a push/pull setup on the rear fan mount INTO the case using the Corsair fans supplied with the H80i plus two Noctua 120mm side fans blowing in and two Noctua 120mm top fans exhausting out plus the two stock front intake fans on the Corsair Carbide 400R.

Like the original poster I'm a tad disappointed in the temps and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to what else I might look at to cool things down.

My small PC room is around 22 - 24°C and I can open a window directly behind the case which lowers temps 2 -3°C but I aint playing BF4 in the chill of a northern winter.

Ideas anyone?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 739736
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

That's a lot of voltage, a high overclock, a midrange cooler, and a brutal stability test. Those numbers look like they're about where they should be.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Sinistercr0c's PC Specs

POST ID # = 740231
Sinistercr0c Reputation: 12

Thanks for the reply. I think you'll find if you research that 4.6ghz as an OC for only 1.4v is at the better end of the spectrum for the fx8350. Many forums/sites/reviews are pushing 1.45 - 1.5v and more, to get 4.6 - 4.8ghz over clocks.

I presume from the lack of any other replies, I'm flogging a dead horse?

Old 12-08-2014, 04:48 PM
fabiokaupe's PC Specs

POST ID # = 745695
fabiokaupe Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85 View Post
I just purchased a H110 and combined it with an AMD FX-8350 to get the best OC. I am trying to OC the 8350 to 5Ghz but am experiencing higher than normal CPU temperatures which is not a good sign. I have the 8350 voltages set to stock and am using the multiplier to OC. I am currently at 33C running idle at 4.4Ghz (with all power savings options disabled to perform the best OC). It is hitting 61C on full load which seems insanely high compared to what the AMD Stock Liquid Cooling System is capable of doing (33C at load).

I removed the stock thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 (using the bead method in the middle of the chip) but that didn't help. The H110 CPU fan is connected to my Mobo CPU Fan connector. In my 500R, I have tried both push and pull configurations (with the radiator on the bottom and the fans on top), but neither config corrects the issue. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I was expecting 20C idle and 50C maximum under full load, not 33C idle 61C under full load.

Here are two pics of what it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/MpO609t.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZmsAmbl.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have the same chassis and the same motherboard. I want to buy m watercooler now but I am in doubt which watercooler model. H100i 0u H110. Can tell me how to do it has pushpull this case? Thank you.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM

POST ID # = 745725
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 124

Based on devdevil85's pictures, you cannot do a push pull setup.

Tags
500r, cooling, fx-8350, h110, temps