The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Mussels's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014417
Mussels Reputation: 10

This might be related to what us Ryzen users are getting where icue prevents us idling - if iCue is putting light load on all the cores (even if its just for polling them for usage/temps/whatever), by preventing idle and keeping cores active, it could mess with turbo clocks and boost states
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM
max9900's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018830
max9900 Reputation: 10

I'm seeing this issue too. Specs in profile.

I've just had to replace a 9900k as the first one semi-died and wouldn't boost over 3.6Ghz. BSOD when booting into Windows for anything above 3.6Ghz.

New one just arrived and wouldn't boost when running CPUZ benchmark, single core result was 50% of what it should be.

Closing iCUE and restarting CPUZ sees the single core speed return to expected value.

This is 100% an issue with iCUE.

I'm wondering if this iCUE problem killed my first i9900k..

All BIOS setting stock except XMP is switched on and VCCSA is manually set to 1.20 (Aorus puts it at 1.3v+ which is madness).

This really needs fixing, I used to recommend Corsair products..
Old 09-20-2019, 01:00 PM
HydroX Success Story
Zone55555's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018846
Zone55555 Reputation: 10

You can see my system specs. I match 90% of the people claiming the issue and insistent that it MUST be iCue.

And yet I've never had this, ever. I'm at an all-core 5Ghz on my i9-9900k and it stays there apart from AVX loads. iCue does not limit it nor cause it to drop.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:06 PM
BlaiseP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018855
BlaiseP Reputation: 35

Mine is clocking along normally after the 3.20.80 update.

What Windows power plan are you running? (Mine is set to "Balanced".) If you use "High Performance" power plan; from my experience, you'll be in permanent boost state.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 PM
ShadowSabre's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018871
ShadowSabre Reputation: 10

I have the I7-8086k on a msi mpg z390 gaming pro carbon ac and have this same issue it locks on 4.3ghz as soon as close icue all goes normal in clocking down or up as needed
Old 09-21-2019, 12:35 AM
RetroRambler's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018882
RetroRambler Reputation: 10

Not a pro here but the first thing that came to mind for me right off the bat (reading first post) was AVX instructions, which many others did as well. Offhand it eludes me but it should be relatively straightforward to verify whether iCue is or is NOT causing one of your AVX negative offsets to kick in, especially if you have something like HWinfo64 or another util that you can watch individual core clock multipliers on.

You could probably even verify which core(s) iCue is running on and watch those clocks. You'll be able to tell when AVX negative offset is kicking in on those cores by the clocks/multipliers they come down to. I've seen that watching stresstests with Prime95, Realbench, etc. when testing my OC stability. Course, it also depends how you've set the BIOS to manage core clocks, using turbo boost max or not, etc.

The other suggestion someone gave, try changing your AVX offsets, is a good one -- (change them downwards to a "more negative" offset to be safest) and see if those clocks change downwards by the new amount or not. That will more or less prove whether what you are seeing with iCue is due to use of AVX instructions by iCue on those cores.

I'll be honest, the more of this kind of stuff I see, the more I am coming to the conclusion that I should only have iCue installed in a special "configuring my lighting" Windows boot/installation that I only ever boot into when I want to change the lighting scheme and keep iCue far, far away from my general/everyday Windows boot/install.

Last edited by RetroRambler; 09-21-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:31 AM
RetroRambler's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018899
RetroRambler Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Hmmm. If the issue was in iCUE alone, it'd happen on every motherboard.
The fact that it doesn't forces a different conclusion.
No it doesn't. Is this kind of logic routinely employed at Corsair to troubleshoot problems or write code?

Motherboard manufacturers don't all implement AVX negative offsets exactly the same way (or at all), name the settings the same, or use the same default values, even among different models from the same manufacturer.

And then there is (of course) the end user part of the equation.... not everybody is going to tune them their AVX knobs the same way either.

Bedevere: "Exactly. So... logically... "

Villager: "If she... weighs the same as a duck... then she's made of wood...."

Bedevere: "And therefore...."

All: "A WITCH!!!"

Sorry if it ruffles anyone's feathers, but it fits.

Last edited by RetroRambler; 09-21-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:58 AM
mangokr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018953
mangokr Reputation: 10

I think this cpu turbo boost behavior is working as intended... or at least is not an issue that only appears with iCUE, might happen to softwares that are multi thread.
FYI. Same behavior occur with Battle.net application running in the background.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:07 AM
Mussels's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018954
Mussels Reputation: 10

have people here tried 3.20? seems to have fixed a bunch of CPU usage related bugs
Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 AM
greenbalrog's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020419
greenbalrog Reputation: 10

I've recently acquired a new system with the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Motherboard and the i9 9900KF CPU and could not get past the 4700Mhz as well.

The solution was to go to the BIOS and set the multiplier to 50 (it was Auto before). Now, every time I set "Performance" power settings in Windows 10 I get 5000 Mhz always. You can use CPUID CPU-Z to validate that as well.

Tip: If you want to get back to "Auto" behavior where the clock is not always set to 5000 Mhz just switch to "Balanced" power settings in Windows and you get the 1000-5000Mhz range again.

Just my 2 cents to hopefully help the discussion on this matter.

\Edit: By the way, I have Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x16GB).

Last edited by greenbalrog; 10-06-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: To explain I have corsair RAM.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:20 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020426
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbalrog View Post
The solution was to go to the BIOS and set the multiplier to 50 (it was Auto before). Now, every time I set "Performance" power settings in Windows 10 I get 5000 Mhz always. You can use CPUID CPU-Z to validate that as well.

Tip: If you want to get back to "Auto" behavior where the clock is not always set to 5000 Mhz just switch to "Balanced" power settings in Windows and you get the 1000-5000Mhz range again.
That is another way to do it if you prefer not to set an 8 core single multiplier or change the AVX offset behavior. All of this behavior is either BIOS or OS manageable, but in standard default Intel single core turbo mode, something is always going to be using more than 1 core so you will never hit the single core max peak.