Corsair Community

H100i V2's pump won't run

Hunety09

Hi,

First time building a system, my only issue is getting the pump to run.

Receiving power from CPU_FAN, the Corsair logo is illuminated and the stock fans attached to the pump run based on the fan curve in the bios. I can hear the pump start for less than a second during boot, but it stops before it loads into Windows.

Temps climb quickly to 80 C and above.

I've tried every header on the mobo and tried setting it to 100% fan speed on both PWM and DC in the bios.

It also doesn't show up in Corsair Link 4. I tried both versions 4.9.9.3 and 4.7.0.77.

4.7.0.77 showed my storage temps while 4.9.9.3 didn't, not sure what that means.

In device manager, it comes up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" and in properties, it has Code 43

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Hunety09
Device manager detail

CPU_FAN or OPT/W PUMP Headers should work. Have you tried iCUE instead of Link 4? Just throwing it out there to try. I'm also assuming you have the H100i powered by the USB 2.0 Header on your motherboard, given you say it is detecting it as unknown, but wanted to confirm. It certainly is sounding like a defective pump, given it should be running more like 30C or below at the bootup.

With either software program, make sure you have disabled fan control to the header powering the H100i v2. It has to have a 100% signal. You control the pump and fans through the software, not the BIOS. Best guess is the motherboard is applying typically high start-up voltage, but then cuts the signal below the minimum threshold. On Asus boards, set the header to "Full Speed" (EZ BIOS) or "Disabled" in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring Tab. They are the same thing.

With either software program, make sure you have disabled fan control to the header powering the H100i v2. It has to have a 100% signal. You control the pump and fans through the software, not the BIOS. Best guess is the motherboard is applying typically high start-up voltage, but then cuts the signal below the minimum threshold. On Asus boards, set the header to "Full Speed" (EZ BIOS) or "Disabled" in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring Tab. They are the same thing.

I have "CPU fan speed" set to ignore (Advanced -> Monitoring) and the CPU FAN set to full speed (EzMode -> QFan Control)

Neither have an effect

Right, my H100i isn't showing up as a device in iCUE so I think I'm going to have to get around the "unknown usb device" first?

That additional info changes things somewhat. Even if the device manager doesn’t recognize the cooler, you yank out the USB, etc., it still should not overheat. It would run normally from internal firmware settings. Are you still “slowly” overheating (30-60 seconds, can visibly watch temps escalate)?

If yes, then I think the electrics in the pump might have had an incident. Is this a new purchase?

If the cooler is no longer heating up after setting the BIOS, then we can work on the recognition issue.

That additional info changes things somewhat. Even if the device manager doesn’t recognize the cooler, you yank out the USB, etc., it still should not overheat. It would run normally from internal firmware settings. Are you still “slowly” overheating (30-60 seconds, can visibly watch temps escalate)?

If yes, then I think the electrics in the pump might have had an incident. Is this a new purchase?

If the cooler is no longer heating up after setting the BIOS, then we can work on the recognition issue.

Having no USB, it still steadily increases temp. Its brand new yes

I'm wondering if the "unknown USB device" error is because the mini USB cable is perhaps defective? Any chance you have another one you can swap in to try?

I tried it with a different USB cable, plugged it into a normal USB port on the mobo. No change.

OK, I think we have a device failure (probably electrically). This is not your fault. It could have been DOA. It could have happened when power was first applied. It certainly appears the pump is not running and Device Manager error code 43 is not a good sign. That usually is terminal when it comes to devices.

Return it to the vendor as DOA. If they have unfriendly terms, contact Corsair through the ticket support system in the menu above. You will need to upload the purchase invoice. Even though the date is on there, make you sure you tell them this is a brand new unit. You can also ask for a "Advance RMA" where they ship you a new one on credit card hold, return the old, cancel the charge. That will cut the replacement time in half. You must ask for this and it isn't available in every country/location.