Corsair Community

H80iV2 Fan curve/modes not working

Mindfulmess

First-time poster, and recently completed my Mini-itx build which in basically every aspect delivers :biggrin:

But I'm having some questions hopefully someone in here can help me figure out or clarify.

Currently, I have good temps avg 44 in Idle and 65-72 during heavy load (gaming).

My setup is a single Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm that I put on the radiator in pull and a Noctua A9x14 29.72 CFM 92 mm case fan

for enhancing exhaust. So far, so good.

Currently, I've set my fan curves in BIOS and I could tweak them and try out different setting

but when using ICUE, my fan shows 0 RPM Coolant on Idle was around 31-ish, but no matter how

I tried setting the fan curves there to align with coolant temp, worked.

I currently have tried Corsair Link as well where I can see my fans are at quite high RPM in idle

and the third fan reading I would guess is the pump reading(?) MB Fan#1 avg 1300RPM #2 1400RPM #3 700RPM

Will only use the BIOS and let the fans read the CPU temp have any adverse effect on the H80 or my system?

Is there any way to truly configure the fan curves in ICUE or Link? No mode i try in either give any difference in RPM:s.

Sorry for long post but would truly appreciate some input! :o:

Edited by Mindfulmess

It seems like your radiator fan(s) is connected to the motherboard. That makes it BIOS controlled and not CUE controlled. In order to have control through CUE or Link, the fans must be connected to the internal controller on the H80i v2 through it's fan splitter. The v2 series was one fan channel, so make sure the Noctua is connected to the splitter end with 4 pins. The 3 pin half can remain empty.

There are no long term repercussions to the cooler or CPU by letting it run from CPU temp in the BIOS. The negative consequence here is CPU temp changes constantly and the fan does not need to. The CPU is cooled by physically conducting heat elsewhere -- in this case through the block and into the coolant stream. The fan + radiator in turn dump the heat elsewhere. It's a bit like taking out the trash. You need to make regular trips, but you don't need to run it out to the curb each time you put something in the bin. +1C increase in coolant temp = +1C increase to CPU temperature. The same is true for cooling with -1 to -1 relationship. Coolant changes slowly and the fans only need to re-act to that.

Update: All set it def works better in terms of db levels, not fans going up and down.

Now it shows up in ICUE and I seem to be able to regulate it (Quiet, balanced and extreme for the Fan, for the pump, only quite and balanced can be set). Custom seem to work as well.

I do wonder about my coolant temp. Ambient temp is 21C - 22C in my apt.

On boot, Coolant is around 30, then goes up to 34-35 when browsing and having some monitors going. On Gaming it goes up to 40C, is this high/normal?

My Ryzen 3700X temp goes from 42-45 on Idle or light browsing and never goes over 60C when gaming basically which i find good, but is the coolant temp alright?

Edited by Mindfulmess

I do wonder about my coolant temp. Ambient temp is 21C - 22C in my apt.

On boot, Coolant is around 30, then goes up to 34-35 when browsing and having some monitors going. On Gaming it goes up to 40C, is this high/normal?

This is probably normal, especially if the H80i v2 is rear mounted as exhaust (as most people will have it). This makes the baseline temperature the same as the internal case temperature rather than the room temp. That usually becomes quite evident during gaming where the GPU heats up the interior. The coolant rise during non-gaming seems normal.

For a rear exhaust H80i v2, you most likely will want to be on the custom curve. If the case interior is 35C, then you can't make it any lower with the two radiator fans and don't need them at 1800 rpm or thereabouts. The 3 presets were constructed with a 21-23C baseline, so using them probably makes things louder than you would like or need. Most people should use the custom curve and set it to their environment.

Thanks for fast reply again! It is mounted as front intake ( several online reviewers showed that double fans did not do much in this small mini itx setup) So only one fan is used, the Notcua. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wjp99 is the build.

But you'd still say it is normal? I mean, the other temps on GPU and CPU during idle and gaming now are really really good so i'f im in safe range, i'll ofc let the setup be as is. :)

PS. current custom curve is 21C - 30% - 26C - 40% 30C 50% - 35/60 and 38/70 and 40/80

Yes, I think it is normal and you can set the fan for noise tolerances. If you are looking to scrape another couple of degrees off general CPU/coolant temperatures, the second fan or removing the front dust filter are quick ways to address that. A close packed front dust filter can be a larger than expected form of resistance.