Corsair Community

380t is overheating my R9 290 Vapor-X when the side panel is in place

thscientist1

Hey all,

Having a bit of a head scratcher with this:confused::

I'm running a Vapor-X r9 290 in the case. When I put on the side panel, my card starts running hot within 20-30 minutes. It seems the air isn't intaking and rather clumps up top. If you can see it from the pics, the side panels are mesh below, and a clear window up top. This is where a lot of the heat gets trapped.

If I play with the case open, I run very cool. This is why I hope it's an obstruction issue as opposed to having a case that won't allow me to run a high end AMD card.

Other theory: The Vapor-X uses a 3-fan setup, I wonder if because of it's positioning, the fans end up intaking directly into the frame that supports the side panel's mesh, blocking air flow. Overall I'm pretty much scratching my head; I got the Vapor-X for the sole purpose it was supposed to be top of the line cooling. But, as with all mITX builds, it was a gamble.

P.S. My CPU is not overclocked at the moment, although once my h100i arrives I plan to begin OCing. And my cables are a mess - Modular PSU is on the way!

PICS: http://imgur.com/a/04Br3

Runs 80* (red SAPPHIRE logo). After 20-30 minutes with the case closed. BTW, after doing some testing with different configs I switched the side panel doors and the problem dissipated. For the sake of science, I swapped them back and the problem reappeared.

Archived