The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014, 01:34 AM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727552
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

while noise is very subjective,i can turn 6 sp's full max and their still quite low in noise
ive actually had a profile set where the sp fans run at max and actually thought i had my idle profile on.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:49 AM
toddnunez94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727554
toddnunez94 Reputation: 10

I just don't know why these fans are having this issue. I have literally gone through, at least, 10 pairs. What's making me believe what this issue is, is that when you first turn the computer on, the fans rev up to 100%. Then they eventually settle down to what you set in Corsair Link. But since they go full blast, I feel like it wears the bearing out. 2300rpm right when the fan turns on is pretty dang fast. The fans need some to build up the speed, rather than automatically going 100%.

I'm going to see if the fans settle down for a few days, and if they don't, I'll ask for some quiet edition fans.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:09 AM
toddnunez94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727558

Hey wytnyt, just out of curiosity... Would a nice quality fan control solve the issue I'm having? Like the new sentry mix 2? I tried adding the fans to the motherboard using 2 y splitters, but that didn't fix anything

Old 09-13-2014, 03:14 AM
HOODedAssault's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727564
HOODedAssault HOODedAssault Reputation: 139

I use fan controllers on all my hydro units. I always get vibration at certain rpm as well so I just set the fan rpm to what I want it with fan controller (usually highest I can get without vibration) and leave it at that rpm 24/7. This is good for me because usually the vibration is at a certain rpm and little faster or lower and it goes away. Sux if ur fans are ramping up and down and going between the rpm that has the vibration and all the time. Currently I'm using a set of h100 fan tho. Imo the h100/h80 fans are far far superior to the current sp fan in flow per rpm, noise level at said rpm, and they don't give me any rattle issues.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:42 PM
toddnunez94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727654

Here is a video of the rattle the fans give.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:40 AM
Johnsonized
Speed's PC Specs

POST ID # = 728832
Speed Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnunez94 View Post
And I know for a fact that its the fans. Just now, I took off my 750d side panels, and unplugged all 4 fans from the H100i. They are still mounted, just not plugged into the pump. I booted up the system, and oh my... it was whisper quite. Then a few seconds after boot, I plugged in each fan. As I was doing so, I could hear the rattle. It does settle down, but then it will rattle and make a vibration sound, that doesn't sound normal. Now, as I'm typing this, its almost as a vibration sound is coming from the fans every 2 seconds... almost like there in intervals.

From the past experience, I bought some XSPC radiator gaskets, because I assumed that it was from vibration off the radiator and case. NOPE. the gaskets didn't solve anything. But if the H100i booted whisper quite with no fans connected, then it has to be Sp120 fans, and nothing else.
Well, yes, it has something to do with the SP120 fans but I'll bet it isn't the fans. I have had the original 3-pin H100i fans and now the 4-pin PWM replacement SP120s and they don't rattle. In fact, the second set are quieter than the 3-pin first set. That yours don't rattle out of the case and do when in it, and that this happened with six successive sets of fans, and that two sets of fans here do not do this at all, says that there is something about how they are being mounted or perhaps how they are being powered.

I listened to the video and think I hear what you are talking about; the periodic faint zzzz.....zzzz.....zzzz — sounding more like a cricket. That it pulses indicates that it is a harmonic with another component that is not at the exact frequency. When that happens you get an amplification effect when the two are in synch with each other and a corresponding cancelling effect when the two are out of synch with each other. There is another component that is aggravating the situation.

What happens when you do not use push/pull but only use push (only the two underside fans blowing through the radiator and out the top), as the unit is designed?
"to" and "too" | "there", "their" and "they're"?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:38 PM

POST ID # = 731728
cyper.bg Reputation: 10

You are not alone brother.
IT IS THE FANS.

I have the same exact problem and it is annoying as hell.
I crave silence and these fans ruin it for me.

I have exactly the same rattle, sounds like crickets chirping in the fields on a summer night. And it is only the bottom fans from the lowest possible speed (670rpm) to the point when the air sound becomes louder and you can no longer hear the rattle.

I opened an RMA with Corsair and would try another set, but if they behave in the same way (most probably) I will give up and get something else.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:30 PM
toddnunez94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 732861

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyper.bg View Post
You are not alone brother.
IT IS THE FANS.

I have the same exact problem and it is annoying as hell.
I crave silence and these fans ruin it for me.

I have exactly the same rattle, sounds like crickets chirping in the fields on a summer night. And it is only the bottom fans from the lowest possible speed (670rpm) to the point when the air sound becomes louder and you can no longer hear the rattle.

I opened an RMA with Corsair and would try another set, but if they behave in the same way (most probably) I will give up and get something else.
No matter what, an RMA will not solve the issue. I returned almost 12 sets (2 at a time), but I finally realized that an RMA will not fix the issue. I finally gave up and asked a corsair CS rep what to do. He told me he would refund me. they received my fans two days ago, so I should receive my refund tomorrow or Monday. I felt bad for sending them in all the time, but I just wasn't satisfied. These were the PWM High Performance versions, so I don't know if the quiet ones are better. Right now, im just using the stock fans that came with my h100i. And I must say, they are pretty dang loud.

Im soon going to go custom loop for my 4770k and 780 SLI, so I might pick up some quiete edition fans. If they have the issue, ill just return them from who I buy them from, rather then dealing with an RMA or refund through Corsair. If not, ill probably ruin my color scheme and pick up some ugly colored Noctua fans. I absolutely love corsair, but these SP fans have some serious issues.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:30 PM

POST ID # = 732908
cyper.bg Reputation: 10

HM, so what should I do then? Do you think that maybe there are batches with this type of problem and maybe some newer batches don't have it.

This is my RMA communication with Corsair so far:

Quote:
Created By: CYPER
I have already tried that, but it only helps if I keep my finger on the fan, which as you might guess is not an option.
There is an inherent design flaw with these - the gravity pull makes the fan assembly come loose from the spindle. Applying even the slightest pressure on the centre hub and the noise is gone. Remove my finger and the noise is back.

The only feasible and cost effective resolution I can think of is you sending me a lot of SP120 Performance Edition PWM fans and hopefully 2 of them do not have this problem. Then I will send you the rest back + the ones I currently have.

Quote:
Created By: Technical Support Rep (10/2/2014 8:34 AM)
Our apologies for the inconvenience, CYPER. The fan assembly might have come loose from the spindle. Please apply slight pressure on the center of the fan hub to snap it back into place.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
toddnunez94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 733664

I highly doubt they will send you multiple fans to test out which ones are better :)
When I submitted a ticket, Justin G said the exact same thing to me. Just ask them for a refund. I sent mine in a few days ago, so im waiting for my refund now. From what I understand, people have less problems with the quiet edition fans. Later I will try and pick some of those up from a retail store "in person." That way, if I have a problem, I can just return them within 30 days for a refund. Doesn't hurt to try.

But if the quiets editions have the same issue, maybe it would be better to shell out the extra cash and get some noctua.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Nick779's PC Specs

POST ID # = 733689
Nick779 Reputation: 10

Corsair SP fans are garbage. After 2 pairs with the exact same problems, the same lower than advertised RPM and the rattling, I just picked up 4 delta AFB1212VH PWM fans from ebay for around $17 each. Theyll do 500-3100rpm through PWM control.

If you want something cheaper, look for 3 pin AFB1212Ms Or AFB1212H's from a dell, theyre both the "low" RPM 2300 AFB1212M, 2 can easily be motherboard controlled (2 have a combined amperage <1A) and throttle down to around 700rpm. They only cost around $8 and are superior to just about every other fan in the consumer market in terms of true static pressure, true CFM, and noise.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 AM
toddnunez94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 796404

Well I didn't solve my problem, but I did however seem to go around it :)

Ever since returning the fans, which were PWM, I thought I wouldn't own SP120's ever again. No matter what I couldn't fix the rattle sound. About 2 or 3 months ago I decided to give these fans another try, but instead get the 3 pin versions. I currently have 7 of them hooked up to my NZXT Sentry Mix 2. To date, I haven't had a single issue regarding that rattle sound.

My only guess to what was causing the initial issue with the PWM versions was the H100i,

Old 10-08-2015, 02:24 PM
howzz1854's PC Specs

POST ID # = 813008
howzz1854 Reputation: 10

i just got done swapping my case with a new Corsair 780t and a new H110 GTX. either i did not notice the rattle on the first day or it didn't do so, but 2nd day in, i started to notice a rattle at peak RPM in what appears to be one of the SP140L. i specify that this is the SP140L edition, not the regular SP140. the SP140L comes with the H110 GTX, and you can't seem to buy them off the shelf anywhere.

i love the SP140L's high static pressure of 4 h20. but yesterday i started noticing, a faint almost bearing rattle like sound coming from i believe to be one of the two SP140L. the H110 GTX is mounted vertically on the front intake side of 780t case, with the two stock SP140L configured in pull. at first naturally i thought it was vibration. but after tightening every screw, which may have helped a little, the rattle sound was still there. farther investigating it i found that it has to do with the turbulence and air pressure working together with the SP140L. i found this out because i noticed whenever i take the front case filter off, the noise disappears, and resumes when i put the filter back on. i tried taking the three Noiseblocker Eloop fans off the front intake, which were configured as Push to help pushing the air through the H110 GTX hoping that it will change the aero. my original theory was that the eloop fans only have about 2.2 h20 static pressure, so maybe the SP140L was pulling in air that's causing some weird pressure build-up. but after taking those three Eloop fans off the front intake, the noise was still there. but still, even without those three eloop fans, if i take the front case filter off, the rattle sound disappears. it only happens at peak 100% RPM.

i am going to play around with the configuration some more tonight, but to feels to me that it has to do with the aero dynamic and particular user configuration, which makes it even harder to proof to the manufacturer that there is a design flaw.

to give you an example, the Eloop fans are some of the best low noise vs high airflow static pressure fans you can get, at a premium. however, over a year ago, users found out that under a specific condition, where the fans are mounted as "pull" with another surface (ie radiator or grill) less than a few mm away from the motor bearing, it causes a weird whine sound, but if you increase the distance between the surface to the bearing by just a few mm, the sound disappears and functions as it should.

i can't say for certain, but i am going to investigate more. but so far, it does seem like it has to do with the aero, pressure, and configuration.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:41 PM
howzz1854's PC Specs

POST ID # = 813077
howzz1854 Reputation: 10

Following up. after i came home and farther investigation. it's definitely one of the two SP140L's that's making the weird rattle noise. the other one works fine. i am going to attempt to RMA, but do i need to send one of them back? i kind of need both to cool my system for work. i am doing rendering.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 813191
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

Just contact customer service and see what they can do for you. Honestly they'll probably just send you another fan and call it a day.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Tags
annoying, rattle sound, rattling, sp120