Corsair Community

Suggestion regarding iCUE Profiles

LeTresPasser

Dear Corsair-Staff,

i recently bought the 115i Pro RGB and found a Problem in the iCUE-Software:

If you chose CPU-Temp as Sensor and select the 'Silent' Profile for the pump, it keeps changing its RPM everytime you open Software like Browsers etc. because there is a short peak in CPU-Temp.

This leads to constantly changing RPM in the Pump, which i heard is damaging it in long term. I personally chose the 'Balanced' mode then.

Solution could be integrating Hysterese for example.

Your fan

Stefan

ps: english is not my native tongue

That is why coolant temperature (H100i Temp) is the default setting and you should leave it there. The fans on the radiator do not cool the cpu. Heat from the cpu is conducted away through the metal plate (block) and then the heat is picked up by the water and taken to radiator channels for dissipation. If the coolant temperature does not increase, more fan speed won’t make the cpu cooler. A small 120mm cooler and a giant 1m panel will both give you the same CPU temps for Prime 95 — at least for the first 20 seconds. After that, the smaller 120mm cannot get rid of heat faster than it is being added and the coolant temp goes up. The 1m panel may always be able to get rid of all of the heat at the lowest fan speeds, the coolant never increases, and thus the fan speed does not either. However, just because you have a meter or two of radiators doesn’t mean you have sub-40 cpu temps. The 1m guy is still 80C when the test starts, just like the 120mm. The difference is the 1m system won’t get any warmer. The 120mm will.

Thanks for the reply! I'm indeed aware of the technical background. Just saying corsair created a possible setting in their Software, that destroys their pump and so is creating RMAs ;)

PS: Setting fan speed depending on CPU temp makes the fans more dynamic and pre cooles the water b4 CPU heats it up. Setting it to water temp makes them turn up way later, leading to higher overall temp for a period of time (tested)

It's just like increasing Speed before driving up a hill

Well no, it’s like increasing your speed when there is no hill. +1C coolant temp leads to +1C CPU temp, so the penalty for waiting only exists is you suppress fan speed increases with change in coolant temp.

The pump will not react to other temp sensor values. It operates at the 3 fixed speeds that share the same preset names as the fans, but provides very different behavior. Quiet=1100 rpm. Balanced 2160. Extreme 2850 +-30rpm. On the Quiet setting, it will automatically ramp up at a high coolant temperature, but otherwise they are fixed.