Corsair Community

Discuss Link v4.9.3.25 here

Technobeard

• Administrators

This will be the official discussion thread for Link v4.9.3.25.

If you'd like to report a bug, please respond to this thread in this format:

Version of your Link software. NOTE: If you're not using v4.9.3.25, please install it and see if the bug has been fixed.

What version of Windows you're using.

Summary - One line / sentence explaining the issue

Detailed description of the issue - This part can be as long as you want. It should be detailed enough so that we can clearly identify the issue and attempt to replicate it.

Attach photos of the issue to the post that help #4.

Bug Fixes:

• “Copy To” no longer produces error message in systems with Commander PRO and Lighting Node PRO installed.
  • Corsair LINK starts minimized.

Known Issues:

• Users connecting Lighting Node PRO or AXi USB dongle to Commander PRO USB hub may experience detection issues if Commander PRO is connected to an AMD chipset or ASMedia USB controller.
  • Hardware playback no longer available for SP RGB fans, HD RGB fans, and RGB PRO lighting strips.
  • CPU core numbering may not report correctly for some users.
  • Extra fans may appear under motherboard info after Link is left running over an extended period of time.
  • Systems with AMD graphics cards may report one extra graphics card.
  • Mechanical hard disks may not enter sleep state.
  • CPUs with more than 16 cores will not report all cores. This is a limitation of Corsair LINK being a 32-bit application.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardware playback no longer available for SP RGB fans, HD RGB fans, and RGB PRO lighting strips.

Noob question: Does this quote refer to the fact that the fans are not controlled during boot? (i.e. Random colours and high rpm until Corsair Link has loaded up)

Noob question: Does this quote refer to the fact that the fans are not controlled during boot? (i.e. Random colours and high rpm until Corsair Link has loaded up)

Random colors, yes. Don't think it should affect RPMs. Are you seeing that and, if so, what are the fans connected to?

“Copy To” no longer produces error message in systems with Commander PRO and Lighting Node PRO installed.

Corsair LINK starts minimized.

Verified here as well.

And let's hope we don't hear people complaining that its starting minimized now as well.

Note: anyone using the workaround that I posted ... please run and then disable it. k?

Random colors, yes. Don't think it should affect RPMs. Are you seeing that and, if so, what are the fans connected to?

Yes, in addition to the colours being random, my fans launch at what seems like 100% rpm when booting the system. I have 6 SP120s plugged into the commander pro, everything works fine once Corsair Link has loaded.

Ha ha ha. Nice one Corsair LINK team. Bravo!

I've complained about the minimize thingy about 2 days ago and I'm so happy to be greeted with a software auto-update notice today. Great, not the best software support but Corsair certainly listen to their customers. So far, so good! I hope I don't run into anymore problems after this.

Had an issue installing it, exact same as seen here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172938

Event viewer kept saying it was .net related. I finally got it to install by closing all apps in the system tray, which included CUE which conflicted with Link a couple versions ago. Could be related to that or some other app that was running in my tray, can't say for sure.

I had the previous version, 4.9.2.27, so it may be related to that version as opposed to this new version because I couldn't even uninstall 4.9.2.27 without the uninstaller crashing.

Not a bug(for me is it a bug) but i want LINK to start at the same position every time i open it. I've got Teamspeak open on my second monitor/screen and that program starts at the same position every time i start it. But LINK always start on my main monitor/screen when i open the program, i want it to start at my secons monitor/screen.

Hi corsair,

Link runs fine now with 49325.

Things I still miss in Link:

- hardware playback for my sp-rgb-fans (hope next update brings the fix)

- my corsair rgb ram and the hi115 led should be controlable with the lighting settings where the rest of the rgb stuff is found in the commander pro menu.

- corsair rgb ram may be controlled via asus aura software, can you do this for the sp fans too?

- can you make corsair link remember the window size it was closed? always have to reset the windows size.

I really appreciate the work of the last months you spend with the link software and its hardware. thx guys.

Yeah, the "phantom temperatures and fans" issue is known. You should see the same things if you use HWMonitor.

The problem, technically, isn't with Link itself but with the CPUID SDK that they use to get these values.

It goes, kinda, like this:

Link: "Yo, CPUID SDK, can ya tell me what system sensors there are?"

CPUID: "Sure thing, dude. Here they are ... "

[CPUID SDK responds with list that includes phantom fans and temperatures]

Link: "Kewl. Thanks dude."

[Link then shows you the phantom fans and temperatures]

User: "WTF, Link? What's with all those phantom temperatures? Are you high?"

Link: "Nooo ... that's just what I was told ..."

So ... though it surfaces in Link, Link is really only the messenger. They are working with the CPUID SDK team to get these resolved but there's only so much control that they have over that. And there's no good, reliable way for Link to know which of the values from CPUID SDK are real and which are phantoms. As HWMonitor also uses the CPUID SDK, you should see the exact same phantom readings there that you see in Link. OTOH, HWInfo and SIV both use a different libraries.

One thing that I'm, personally, curious about is if these phantom readings are only on specific platforms or if its across the board. If you think about it ... it's been a crazy year with new platforms. In the past 12 months, we've seen Kaby Lake, Skylake/Kaby Lake X, Coffee Lake, Ryzen, and Threadripper all released.

What does "Mimic Colour Animation do"?

If you have any of the RGB Fans or the RGB LED Strips, it'll "mimic the color animation" of your current settings.

It's eye candy that gives a (IMHO poor) representation of your RGB lighting effects. It does consume a bit of CPU as well (to do the animations) so I, personally, keep it turned off.

If you don't have any of these components, it does nothing.

Version: v4.9.3.25

Windows 10 Pro x64

My AX760i that is connected to my H100i (fw: 1.1.3) is not detected, same as previous versions. Last working version: v4.6.0.86

@Technobeard: Can you comfirm that you have seen in this forum that it is not working? Are you aware it is a bug? Why is it not in known bugs? Is it no longer a supported setup?

OK, so I did some experimentation with this.

First ... colors is a known issue. So let's talk about the high RPM. Because I didn't recall this as an issue with my Commander Pro.

Question: For the fans in question, what temperature do you have the fan curve tied to? Is it a temp from the Commander Pro temperature sensors or is it from another device?

I'm going to guess that it's from a different device. Because that's the only time that I saw that behavior. If you base the fan curve on one of the Commander Pro's native sensors, it'll apply it before Windows loads and you log in (so ... without Link).

Is it a 3-pin/DC fan or is it 4-pin/PWM? And is it set in the Fan configuration as 3 or 4 pin or Auto?

My testing (so far) was done with a 3-pin DC fan that was configured as 3 pin in Link (not auto) and set to 0 RPM at idle temperatures (which makes it easy to see if the curve is applied). When I had the source temperature set to something other than one of the sensors on the C-Pro, it would spin until I logged in to Windows and Link started. Not sure if it was full speed - I just can't count the fan blades when they are spinning and that fan is quiet anyway - but it was spinning pretty fast. I'd guess it was full speed.

When I had it set to a temperature from one of the C-Pro's temperature sensors, it spun up at boot but then stopped even before Windows had fully loaded ... so only a couple of seconds. From a hardware perspective, I'm guessing that the Commander is checking on the fan (hey ... you alive?) and initializing and reading the temperature sensor (which does take a second or two for an initial reading) ... then stopping it.

For my 4-pin/PWM fans, I don't notice - at all - them spinning at full speed on boot. And those I would hear.

Yeah, the "phantom temperatures and fans" issue is known. You should see the same things if you use HWMonitor.

The problem, technically, isn't with Link itself but with the CPUID SDK that they use to get these values.

It goes, kinda, like this:

Link: "Yo, CPUID SDK, can ya tell me what system sensors there are?"

CPUID: "Sure thing, dude. Here they are ... "

[CPUID SDK responds with list that includes phantom fans and temperatures]

Link: "Kewl. Thanks dude."

[Link then shows you the phantom fans and temperatures]

User: "WTF, Link? What's with all those phantom temperatures? Are you high?"

Link: "Nooo ... that's just what I was told ..."

So ... though it surfaces in Link, Link is really only the messenger. They are working with the CPUID SDK team to get these resolved but there's only so much control that they have over that. And there's no good, reliable way for Link to know which of the values from CPUID SDK are real and which are phantoms. As HWMonitor also uses the CPUID SDK, you should see the exact same phantom readings there that you see in Link. OTOH, HWInfo and SIV both use a different libraries.

One thing that I'm, personally, curious about is if these phantom readings are only on specific platforms or if its across the board. If you think about it ... it's been a crazy year with new platforms. In the past 12 months, we've seen Kaby Lake, Skylake/Kaby Lake X, Coffee Lake, Ryzen, and Threadripper all released.

Just to note, those 'phantom temperatures' were not showing two builds ago.

"Mechanical hard disks may not enter sleep state."

does this mean HDDs now spin down normally!??? finally?

No. It is still doing it. I keep link closed now, it's driving me nuts!

No. It is still doing it. I keep link closed now, it's driving me nuts!

you only right click and exit it or you close it in some other way? what about the selected profile does it still in affect when CL is closed?

Version: v4.9.3.25

Windows 10 Pro x64

My AX760i that is connected to my H100i (fw: 1.1.3) is not detected, same as previous versions. Last working version: v4.6.0.86

@Technobeard: Can you comfirm that you have seen in this forum that it is not working? Are you aware it is a bug? Why is it not in known bugs? Is it no longer a supported setup?

I believe that you're being affected by this known issue:

Known Issues:

• Users connecting Lighting Node PRO or AXi USB dongle to Commander PRO USB hub may experience detection issues if Commander PRO is connected to an AMD chipset or ASMedia USB controller.

You can find more about it here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=170885

you only right click and exit it or you close it in some other way? what about the selected profile does it still in affect when CL is closed?

Yes, I right click and hit exit from the taskbar. My LED's and LL fans still light up in a rainbow default mode. Not ideal, but better than having a woodpecker inside of my tower.

Yes, I am aware of that.

It doesn't change the reason for those phantom temps. Link has a version of the CPUID SDK dll that it installs in its own directory. New versions of Link often also have a new version of the dll as well. This is sometimes required for bug fixes for some platforms and/or to add support for new platforms (Coffee Lake, Ryzen, Threadripper, etc.).

Note, also, that it's the CPUID SDK that's hitting your hard drives "like a woodpecker". (Really? Your drives are that loud??) Again, it's something that they are working with the devs of the CPUID SDK to fix but they are limited in what they can do.

OK, so I did some experimentation with this.

First ... colors is a known issue. So let's talk about the high RPM. Because I didn't recall this as an issue with my Commander Pro.

Question: For the fans in question, what temperature do you have the fan curve tied to? Is it a temp from the Commander Pro temperature sensors or is it from another device?

I'm going to guess that it's from a different device. Because that's the only time that I saw that behavior. If you base the fan curve on one of the Commander Pro's native sensors, it'll apply it before Windows loads and you log in (so ... without Link).

Is it a 3-pin/DC fan or is it 4-pin/PWM? And is it set in the Fan configuration as 3 or 4 pin or Auto?

My testing (so far) was done with a 3-pin DC fan that was configured as 3 pin in Link (not auto) and set to 0 RPM at idle temperatures (which makes it easy to see if the curve is applied). When I had the source temperature set to something other than one of the sensors on the C-Pro, it would spin until I logged in to Windows and Link started. Not sure if it was full speed - I just can't count the fan blades when they are spinning and that fan is quiet anyway - but it was spinning pretty fast. I'd guess it was full speed.

When I had it set to a temperature from one of the C-Pro's temperature sensors, it spun up at boot but then stopped even before Windows had fully loaded ... so only a couple of seconds. From a hardware perspective, I'm guessing that the Commander is checking on the fan (hey ... you alive?) and initializing and reading the temperature sensor (which does take a second or two for an initial reading) ... then stopping it.

For my 4-pin/PWM fans, I don't notice - at all - them spinning at full speed on boot. And those I would hear.

I'm using the 3-pin DC SP120s, the fan configuration is set to auto and the rpm is linked to h100itemps.

So if your theory is correct I just have to link the rpm to one of the commander sensors. I figured linking it to the radiator was the best option but now I'm curious about your setup, where do you setup your sensor?

Archived