Corsair Community

Internal hub issues with 2x H100i Pro

cmpxchg8b

Greetings to all.

I am trying to configure a new workstation around a dual Xeon setup. For that, I have two H100i Pro coolers installed in a Carbide 540 chassis. This seems to work well enough, except for the fact that my motherboard only has one USB 2.0 header (which I believe supports two devices).

In order to work around this, I purchased an Aquacomputer Hubby7 USB hub to plug my two H100i Pro coolers into, as well as the AX1600i. The coolers and PSU all work independently when plugged into the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard (one device only).

However, when I plug them into the Hubby7, weird things to start to happen.

First and foremost, if I have the H100i Pro units on the same circuit (the Hubby7 power is split up between ports 1/2/3, and 4/5/6/7, which occupy three sockets as 1/2, 4/5, and 6/7 respectively with port 3 being above 1 & 2 as an extra 5-pin header), then I immediately get a USB overload/surge error in Windows 10. This happens regardless of whether or not the hub is in USB powered mode, or SATA powered mode (with a 15 pin molex connection attached).

If I swap things around so that the first H100i Pro is on the first Hubby7 socket, and the second H100i Pro is on the second socket (followed by the AX1600i on the third), then I don't get any overload messages- however the H100i units don't seem to operate properly at all. The pumps are spinning and the LEDs light up, but any lighting effects from iCue seem delayed and/or laggy. Likewise, it's not uncommon for one of the H100i Pro units to outright refuse commands in this configuration (it just sits there doing the default rainbow effect regardless of what I setup in iCue).

The AX1600i seems happy no matter what I'm doing, I don't think I've had any problems with that- it's just the two H100i coolers that are being a bit of a pain in the ***.

Does anyone else here have any experience running a dual H100i Pro setup running off a Hubby7? For that fact, does anyone else have any experience with the Hubby7 units? Are they generally solid hubs, or is mine potentially broken?

I know NZXT sells an internal hub, but I've heard bad bad things about the molex power connector on that unit and it potentially frying hardware. I suppose I could buy a USB PCI-e card with a couple of internal connectors and hang one of the H100i Pro units off that (or the AX1600i), but I was kinda hoping to get everything on a single USB connector internally without resorting to something like that.

Cheers,

-CMPX

Edited by cmpxchg8b

I think the issue here is the Hubby7. Whether you have a bad one or it's the design, I can't say.

And many folks around these parts are using the NZXT hub with great success, myself included. The challenge with seeing use feedback on the web is that people rarely post when everything works well, only when it doesn't. So looking at feedback can be a challenge because of the extreme bias in posts. That thing you said about the NZXT hub can be said about almost any piece of hardware out there - there are failures and bad batches and the Internet magnifies these, sometimes out of proportion.