Corsair Community

Corsair H100i V2 Extreme weird smell

gothicaholic

as title says, radiator emits strange burning like warm smell.

a month or so ago I noticed my pump emits buzzing noise while the PC is booting up, so I re seated it and the noise is still there, I said w/e.

Now I started to notice a strange burning like smell emitting from the radiator while the CPU is under usage, I am running an i7 - 8700k @ 4.7 Ghz, Temps are completely fine, Idle 29 - 31 degrees and under usage 50 - 55 (completely normal for my warm country).

Should I worry about it? Should I turn it into the shop? (I work from home and returning the AIO will make me unable to work for around a week and a half). the smell is somewhere between warm smell that comes from a operating electrical component to almost burn smell.

(the AIO is a year and a half old)

Also to note, Pump stays on the same RPM all the time (set to quiet mode), pump is set to 100% in the BIOS. Could it be really the pump dying or it could be something like dust stuck somewhere in the radiator or the fan bearings emitting the smell? cause the only thing that changes is the RPM of the fans on top of the CPU and coolant temperature.

All Corsair AIO coolers have fixed pump speeds. If the pump is dying, it won't make a burning smell. It will make a lot of noise or simply not start if electrical failure. Any reason you think this is the AIO? Something may be hot, but it is most likely a wire. Start at the PSU and work out. Molex in particular is often more vulnerable since the connectors are cheap.

All Corsair AIO coolers have fixed pump speeds. If the pump is dying, it won't make a burning smell. It will make a lot of noise or simply not start if electrical failure. Any reason you think this is the AIO? Something may be hot, but it is most likely a wire. Start at the PSU and work out. Molex in particular is often more vulnerable since the connectors are cheap.

I am 99% sure its the Radiator because the smell comes only from the radiator that pushes out air on the top of my case but not in any of the other fans that push out air.

I do have to note that recently my GPU started buzzing (coil whine) when the it hits certain power consumption, I smelled the back of my PSU and everything else and it wouldnt come from there.

Kind of difficult to describe, but try and pin down the smell further. There is nothing electrical in the radiator. One possibility would be some little "bug" or whatever is trapped in a radiator fin and slowly cooking itself at 35C. If you can't detect the smell on the inside of the case but it is clear on the exhaust side of the rad, that is a possibility. The more serious one would be if there is a coolant leak. I would not describe that as a hot smell, but someone else might since the most people first encounter the combination of heat and glycerol/glycol coolant while standing next to an overheating car. Check for leaks. You may have to take the radiator down to be thorough.

If you also can smell the burning on the inside of the case, it is probably coming from somewhere else. I would try and find that quickly. There may be a penalty for not doing so.

Kind of difficult to describe, but try and pin down the smell further. There is nothing electrical in the radiator. One possibility would be some little "bug" or whatever is trapped in a radiator fin and slowly cooking itself at 35C. If you can't detect the smell on the inside of the case but it is clear on the exhaust side of the rad, that is a possibility. The more serious one would be if there is a coolant leak. I would not describe that as a hot smell, but someone else might since the most people first encounter the combination of heat and glycerol/glycol coolant while standing next to an overheating car. Check for leaks. You may have to take the radiator down to be thorough.

If you also can smell the burning on the inside of the case, it is probably coming from somewhere else. I would try and find that quickly. There may be a penalty for not doing so.

Upon further investigation I did not spot any leaks without taking the radiator out and as I said coolant temps are fine and everything else is fine. One thing I noticed is that this smell might be emitting from the GPU when its under load, I stuck my nose into an opening between the plastic and PCB and noticed the smell there, yet again I find it very strange that this smell emits through radiator only, I know this is mot a GPU forum but is that smell okay? It smells like kind of hot smell and to be mentioned, My GPU started buzzing / coil whining under load ( temps are fine and performance is fine as well.)

Maybe it's more noticeable after the air is heated going through the radiator, but it likely is detectable out the rear exhaust as well. Regardless, it seems like you've found the place to look. Obviously inspect the PCI-E cables supplying it with power. I think that would be pretty obvious if there was an issue at the connector and this is not common. Sadly, the buzzing is completely normal.

How long have you had the GPU? If new, one possibility is some excess solder heating up. If you've had it a while, that seems less probable. Back to something getting in there and cooking its little winged self. I don't know. It's fairly difficult to categorize the difference between burning plastic (a wire), solder (the GPU?), or the little critter if you have never encountered that smell. You may want to take some compressed air and blow out the GPU -- with the power off.

Maybe it's more noticeable after the air is heated going through the radiator, but it likely is detectable out the rear exhaust as well. Regardless, it seems like you've found the place to look. Obviously inspect the PCI-E cables supplying it with power. I think that would be pretty obvious if there was an issue at the connector and this is not common. Sadly, the buzzing is completely normal.

How long have you had the GPU? If new, one possibility is some excess solder heating up. If you've had it a while, that seems less probable. Back to something getting in there and cooking its little winged self. I don't know. It's fairly difficult to categorize the difference between burning plastic (a wire), solder (the GPU?), or the little critter if you have never encountered that smell. You may want to take some compressed air and blow out the GPU -- with the power off.

The buzzing on the GPU started a little bit more than a month ago, Ive had this GPU for a year and a half (I built this computer from 0), I pray to god that the smell that it emits is excess dust built up, Ill take it out and clean it even more properly but wont take it apart as I still have a year and a half of warranty left. Ill even go further and buy a new corsair PSU as this one seems to drop below 87% efficiency as stated (gold + RM750i).

The smell that comes out is the same smell you would smell from an electrical applicant that heats up under use, whether it be a hair dryer or some kind of mixer or from my subject of work, a Voltage amplifier.

Also a question about my H100i V2 Extreme, My coolant temp is around 25 - 26 when computer is idle (regular web browsing and stream / video viewing) and ive seen it rise up to 29 on really intensive CPU usage for a good 20 - 30 minutes when I render stuff, are those normal coolant temps considering the fact I live in quite a warm place? Edited by gothicaholic

That’s a fairly good coolant rise. It’s always CPU/cooler/use dependent, but most people will see a rise of +4-8C on a 240mm. GPU heat is another wild card in mixed rendering or gaming. Room temp is always a factor but is applied at the base. If my room temp is 20C and your’s is 25C, you will always be 5C warmer than me with identical hardware and use. Idle coolant temp usual runs 4-6C above the room temp, so if you can keep it at 25C you are in good shape. Summers for me take the idle coolant to 28-29C in the evening.

Coolant temp is additive to cpu temp. +4C coolant rise means +4C to the CPU. Same thing on the negative (cooling) with -2C coolant also reducing cpu temps by 2C. It’s a small scale game and this is why that extra 100 rpm on the fans that annoys you, usually isn’t worth it from a performance standpoint.