Corsair Community

CUE SDK - Windows Modern Apps & Named Pipe ACLs

Nvention

I recently got a strafe keyboard (and hence brand new to the forums) and was looking to hack around with the SDK to see if I could make anything super neato cool. Call me crazy but I was hoping to make a Windows 10 universal app to make it easy to share and install whatever I eventually decide to make.

I fired up my trusty version of VisualStudio and tried to integrate the super awesome CUE.NET wrapper that DarthAffe put together. Unfortunately it fails saying that the Server can't be found during SDK init. Great sadness.

Poking around the SDK a bit it appears that the IPC used to talk to CUE from the client application is done via 3 named pipes (and three named pipes going the other way). This is all peachy except that modern apps can only open named pipes that have been ACL'ed correctly to be openable in an appcontainer (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh448493(v=vs.85).aspx for an example of how to do this).

Any chance that a future version of the SDK will correctly ACL these so that modern apps could take advantage of the sweet, sweet glowing keyboard lights? (Also i'm dubious that an app container application can open its own named pipes so the client named ones would probably need to be originated from CUE if that isn't already the case.)

Thanks for any info!

• 5 months later...

Any updates here? It looks like the competition is basically doing what my end goal here actually was: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/1/12078000/das-keyboard-mechanical-keyboard-5q-kickstarter-cloud

My hope was to develop a notification app that ran in the background and looked at notification center (or maybe just pulled down weather data or something simpler to start) and showed useful information (number of notifications or current temperature) using the lights on the keyboard. I'm pretty bummed that another company has "won the race" here ...

Archived