Corsair Community

Reasons not to buy corsair

lfreels001

Before this post gets "edited" by a Corsair employee, I hope I can save someone from mistakenly purchasing a Corsair keyboard or any of their products.

I bought a brand new silver K70 keyboard with blue LED's on Ebay since the manufacture was out of stock. I read some reviews and saw that it was possible that the LED's would eventually die out. Then I also saw that the customer support was supposedly very helpful in fixing the issue.

Well, as it turns out. The customer support couldn't be worse. I started an RMA request for 16 dead LED's after only 7 months of light use, an issue that the company knows about, and it didnt take them long to deny it since I purchased it from a ''non-authorized dealer''.

Bottom line is I own a Corsair product and should be treated as such when it comes to known issues with Corsair products. If Corsair cared about producing quality products it wouldnt matter who I purchased their product from, only that I now own it and am experiencing a known flaw.

So, if you are considering purchasing a corsair product, CONSIDER AGAIN!

I suppose there are reasons why a manufacturer may not accept returns from customers who bought a product from a non-authorised dealer.

However, in your case, you have a product with a known design defect. If it's a genuine Corsair product, then it seems harsh that Corsair would refuse to sort it for you.

As far as I know the silver K70 with blue LEDs has been discontinued for quite some time, and that's why it is basically everywhere out of stock. Most likely because of the blue leds issue but there's no official announcement on it.

That said it depends who you bought it from. Was it a shop or a private seller? Was it actually new or refurbished? etc..

Without knowing the whole picture it's hard to say anything.

New, unopened box, from Ebay.

Regardless of who I purchased the product from, it bears the Corsair name and has a known defect (although according to the customer service rep, they didnt know about the LEDs dying. Which is either a complete lie or the company is not capable of reading reviews of their products from people who have purchased them).

Also, if the blue LED edition was discontinued for a specific purpose such as the probability of dead LEDs, an honest company would have made an announcement to allow potential customers to make an informed decision before purchasing their product.

Items can be repackaged to look as tho its never been opened,this is quite easy to do.

When sold by a reputable dealer then the condition is easily monitored but when sold on places like Ebay,theres no way to track the number of owners,how it was used and so on.With a purchase receipt then the owner is known,the date and the items activity also

Company's should expect no less and in hindsight,there's usually a good reason why it was put on Ebay and not RMA'D..

Obvious red flag...

The topic should be ---Reasons not to buy on Ebay;):

Before this post gets "edited" by a Corsair employee, I hope I can save someone from mistakenly purchasing a Corsair keyboard or any of their products.

I bought a brand new silver K70 keyboard with blue LED's on Ebay since the manufacture was out of stock. I read some reviews and saw that it was possible that the LED's would eventually die out. Then I also saw that the customer support was supposedly very helpful in fixing the issue.

Well, as it turns out. The customer support couldn't be worse. I started an RMA request for 16 dead LED's after only 7 months of light use, an issue that the company knows about, and it didnt take them long to deny it since I purchased it from a ''non-authorized dealer''.

Bottom line is I own a Corsair product and should be treated as such when it comes to known issues with Corsair products. If Corsair cared about producing quality products it wouldnt matter who I purchased their product from, only that I now own it and am experiencing a known flaw.

Hey Bud, this is a support forum not a place where you can campaign against the company who pays money to make this place possible. If you want to spout off go to a forum space, or a review site, that isn't associated with Corsair.

If you hate company X chicken soup, you are free to stand outside a store that sells it with your sign stating your position. What you CANNOT do is put your sign in front of the product on the shelf. Corsair has the absolute right to sell any legal product they make, and they pay for the infrastructure to support their products. Doing what you have done is low class, regardless of your apparent savior-of-all-keyboard-purchasing-mankind approach.

I hope this thread is deleted toot sweet, as is deserves to be.

Hey Bud, this is a support forum not a place where you can campaign against the company who pays money to make this place possible. If you want to spout off go to a forum space, or a review site, that isn't associated with Corsair.

If you hate company X chicken soup, you are free to stand outside a store that sells it with your sign stating your position. What you CANNOT do is put your sign in front of the product on the shelf. Corsair has the absolute right to sell any legal product they make, and they pay for the infrastructure to support their products. Doing what you have done is low class, regardless of your apparent savior-of-all-keyboard-purchasing-mankind approach.

I hope this thread is deleted toot sweet, as is deserves to be.

Corsair is too nice and allows this stuff, and allows proffo to agree every chance he gets.

If you bought the product from a actual retailer adn Corsair didnt RMA it or refund you then yea bitch away. In fact id ask james to look in to it but its ebay and you knew what you were getting to.

Most companies have similar policies regarding where you purchase products from. Next time, buy from a recognized retailer rather than what is essentially an end-user reseller.

Corsair is too nice and allows this stuff, and allows proffo to agree every chance he gets.

I think I posted a reasonable and honest opinion on this matter. Not for the first time, you post personal insults.

"buys from ebay cries rofl i love when kids do this. Why dont you go cry to your ebay dealer about this."

The issue with the LEDs is not because the product was purchased on Ebay. It is a well known design flaw with Corsair keyboards. The product was unused and unopened. Also, being fair new to PC gaming, I was unaware that the K70 with brushed aluminum had been discontinued. When I was looking to make the purchase, it was still advertised around the web as being new but out of stock

Whether you agree with my opinion of Corsair is not something im going to concern myself with. This post was to warn potential buyers who may be researching the product before buying it of the shoddy experience I received and it has accomplished that.

Yea now people know not to buy from ebay! yay!

Also good job on bothering to look on Corsairs actual site before purchasing. Maybe i should make a site and sell wooden Corsair keyboards and make them special edtion at a price of 500$, and its obv Corsairs fault that people get ripped off.

The issue with the LEDs is not because the product was purchased on Ebay. It is a well known design flaw with Corsair keyboards. The product was unused and unopened. Also, being fair new to PC gaming, I was unaware that the K70 with brushed aluminum had been discontinued. When I was looking to make the purchase, it was still advertised around the web as being new but out of stock

Whether you agree with my opinion of Corsair is not something im going to concern myself with. This post was to warn potential buyers who may be researching the product before buying it of the shoddy experience I received and it has accomplished that.

I have had nothing but good experience with Corsair and the RMA policy. I know you are frustrated, but you do not know that the keyboard you bought was new or not. Loads of eBay people will put the plastic wrap on and make used/abused tech look new. Corsair doesn't know even if it's a knockoff product. Its completely undocumented... How could you blame them for not approving your RMA? Contact your eBay seller and hope that (s)he is a nice person and can help you out.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but this is absolutely not Corsair's fault.

I have had nothing but good experience with Corsair and the RMA policy. I know you are frustrated, but you do not know that the keyboard you bought was new or not. Loads of eBay people will put the plastic wrap on and make used/abused tech look new. Corsair doesn't know even if it's a knockoff product. Its completely undocumented... How could you blame them for not approving your RMA? Contact your eBay seller and hope that (s)he is a nice person and can help you out.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but this is absolutely not Corsair's fault.

A serial number should identify when the keyboard was made, and I'm pretty sure that it would be fairly easy for Corsair to tell if the keyboard was genuine or not (are there any fake K70's anyway ?).

Product abuse should also be easy to identify - dents, scratches, liquid damage etc are all fairly easy to see. I'm not sure if K70 keybaords have "warranty void if removed" stickers either, but if they have, that would also be an easy way to tell if the keyboard had been tampered with.

Assuming the OP's K70 worked perfectly for a while, then suffered from faulty LEDs, then I do have some sympathy because it seems that the product he/she bought has gone the same way as a fair few other K70 keyboards. If the product had generally been reliable, then the keyboard would more than likely be still working properly. Having said that, if the terms and conditions state that Corsair will only offer a repair service for product purchased through authorised retailers, then it's a lesson learned for the OP.

A serial number doesn't tell when it was sold however. Someone could have purchased it months ago, never used it and put it up on ebay to resell it. In that case the warranty wouldn't be valid, at least not here in my country.

most likely what happened as thats sort of why ebay was made. reselling.

It all boils down to Corsair warranty policy wasn't adhered to,therefore their not obligated nor expected to honor it.

I buy mostly from Corsair themselves because keeping a receipt isn't needed because pop is on my user account,buying there usually costs a few bucks more but worth it..

It's an unauthorized seller, dude. Corsair isn't the only manufacturer that use this policy, and for damn good reasons. Deal with it.

Next time, do yourself a favor and never buy from a place like Ebay. Stick to either Corsair's store or Amazon. I know I do, and haven't encountered a single issue.

A serial number doesn't tell when it was sold however.

The serial number could prove that the keyboard was manufactured within the past 2 years though, which means that it would still be within the warranty period.

In any case, buying an item such as this from an unauthorised vendor is not such a good idea, especially when the product is known to have reliability problems. It seems that the OP was aware of possible reliabilty issues, but wasn't aware of the warranty terms and conditions.

Archived