Corsair Community

Asking Tips for LED Durability

Draconican

Hi Guys, I bought my Strafe RGB about 2weeks ago, and I've been experimenting with CUE2. So far i have mastered making Profiles and effects. Since I'm New to this RGB Keyboard, I would like to ask how durable are the RGB LEDs on the Strafe? I'm currently using it with high humidity of about 78-93% on average. Also any tips on how to take good care of the LED's? It's a Beautiful keyboard and i want it to last. Thanks! :D:

Thanks, well i was starting to get worried that the Dew particles might get inside the LED breathing holes and ruin them. Good to know that the LEDs are durable and can last long with proper care. :biggrin: It's not like I'm gonna go swimming with my keyboard anyways xD. Thanks again for the reply. I love the Strafe RGB. I also bought the Easy Take Pressure sprayer to clean my Keyboard from dust and hair particles. I removed the water tubing since i need it to spray air not water.

Glad to be with team Corsair.

Well I'm not really working inside a Sauna :laughing:, It's just that the trees are dense here our place, making it cold and humid. That is why I'm really starting to get concerned about the Durability of the LEDS. That's just the normal humidity range, sometimes it even get up to 100%. Nonetheless, that doesn't stop me from gaming with this Awesome Keyboard. Glad to know it wouldn't suffer from ESDs.

Greetings from the Philippines. :biggrin:

PicsArt_01-25-08_57_46.thumb.jpg.f9e25781eadf9adb1dde517e201f32f7.jpg

I've never had LEDs on a corsair product last longer than 1 year.

Lol! If I start losing LEDs after the first year, I'll RMA it, sell it and never buy/recommend another Corsair keyboard again. These things cost way too much to end up with that kind of reliability.

Edited by vram74

Lol! If I start losing LEDs after the first year, I'll RMA it, sell it and never buy/recommend another Corsair keyboard again. These things cost way too much to end up with that kind of reliability.

That's just sad to hear, BTW did you use your keyboard with the LED's turned on all the time? I usually turn mine off during daytime since its not really needed. I thought LED's are supposed to be durable, since they are known to last longer than normal light bulbs. Maybe you have too much effects running the Board making it work harder than it used to. (whats the point of having RGB anyways we needed it to be flashy). Hope corsair do improve the quality of the Boards, the K95 Platinum seems promising, problem is, It cost $199.99 or almost 10,000 pesos. My friend already told me that I am crazy for buying the Strafe RGB. I Hope this time they will improve the quality of the Strafe's RGB LED. I did a quick google search and they all stated that the Strafe RGB got the new brighter LED and lighting controller. So hopefully it should be fine. BTW What keyboard are you using guys? I am kinda saving for the M65 Pro gaming mouse.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZe69YIPJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZe69YIPJ8[/ame] i made this profile for a certain game, and I really don't bother much about too much lightning effects. Only when pressing Number 4 (Ultimate Skill) sends a ripple across the board. I only use it during nighttime, so hopefully it should last 2 years or more.

So if I drop $200 on a k95 platinum and the LEDs start to go in year 3, I'm supposed to be ok with that and feel like I've got my money's worth?

Not this white boy!

Good LEDs with a quality controller should be good for 10's of thousands of hours of usage. If they're failing that quick, a bean counter is to blame.

So if I drop $200 on a k95 platinum and the LEDs start to go in year 3, I'm supposed to be ok with that and feel like I've got my money's worth?

Not this white boy!

Good LEDs with a quality controller should be good for 10's of thousands of hours of usage. If they're failing that quick, a bean counter is to blame.

True, We bought this keyboard to last more than 3 years. Hopefully it will live up to it's expectations. I made some research and I found out that Cherry MX switches are durable and reliable up to 50 Million key presses. However I am not sure if the performance would improve nor degrade when it hits more than 50 Million Key presses. I've heard of some people in the forums that their mechanical keyboards lasted for 6 years+ (without the LED back lit) usually from the old keyboard manufacturer like IBM and etc. So the mechanical Switches themselves are guaranteed to last for a long time.

So yeah, spending a $100+ keyboard should be durable, if not then we are just paying the Company brand name. I love corsair, I'm starting to get into this RGB hype train. :laughing: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2lae86/at_50_million_mtbf_cherry_mx_rating_your_keyboard/ it SHOULD BE FINE XD.

SMD LED's are designed to last a VERY long time. LED's are made to be run extensively and even strobed. The backlighting on your LCD monitors is done by LED's. The issue with single color LED's failing so often is usually due to static from your hands going through the keycap and slowly wearing down the LED. SMD's are immune to this by design from Cherry so they should last longer. But there are different brands, circuits, hardware being used with different companies so there's no playbook for everything. Ducky uses 3528 SMD's, but the luminous intensity (mcd) rating is unknown. I'm not sure if anyone knows what Corsair uses, but I suspect the Strafe RGB uses brighter LED's than the K70 RGB (older version).

SMD LED's are designed to last a VERY long time. LED's are made to be run extensively and even strobed. The backlighting on your LCD monitors is done by LED's. The issue with single color LED's failing so often is usually due to static from your hands going through the keycap and slowly wearing down the LED. SMD's are immune to this by design from Cherry so they should last longer. But there are different brands, circuits, hardware being used with different companies so there's no playbook for everything. Ducky uses 3528 SMD's, but the luminous intensity (mcd) rating is unknown. I'm not sure if anyone knows what Corsair uses, but I suspect the Strafe RGB uses brighter LED's than the K70 RGB (older version).

Well, yeah thanks for the info. It kinda made me worry about the ESD, I also notice that the Corsair Strafe RGB got the new LED lights. I've watch reviews on YouTube and they all say that the new corsair strafe shines brighter than the previous K70. It doesn't flicker when filmed on camera due the newer LED refresh rate.

were they RGB if not doesnt apply.

I cant give actual numbers but know for a RGB keyboard the number of RMA they got because an LED died or was killed by ESD is extremely low compared to their older K70 non RGB keyboard.

I just got my replacement Strafe RGB on the 18th of this month after RMA'ing the first week of this month. I started having my "W" LED key start displaying the wrong colors and I was instructed to RMA it. As of yesterday, 10 days since I got a brand new replacement, the same issue is occurring on the new keyboard with the "1" key on the number pad. Seriously? Okay, well maybe it's not receiving enough power or something I thought, so I changed the two USB 2.0 ports it was plugged in to and then tried a single USB 3.0 port, and then both 1 3.0 and 1 2.0, still the key is displaying the wrong colors or is faded. It's very disheartening to see this issue come up again on a brand new keyboard that's barely used throughout the day now.

I just got my replacement Strafe RGB on the 18th of this month after RMA'ing the first week of this month. I started having my "W" LED key start displaying the wrong colors and I was instructed to RMA it. As of yesterday, 10 days since I got a brand new replacement, the same issue is occurring on the new keyboard with the "1" key on the number pad. Seriously? Okay, well maybe it's not receiving enough power or something I thought, so I changed the two USB 2.0 ports it was plugged in to and then tried a single USB 3.0 port, and then both 1 3.0 and 1 2.0, still the key is displaying the wrong colors or is faded. It's very disheartening to see this issue come up again on a brand new keyboard that's barely used throughout the day now.

Err that's weird I have the same issue with Number 5 on the Numpad :bigeyes: , It turns green when I've set it to Blue. I fixed mine somehow by pressing the key. All i did was put a layer of white Gradient effect on the numpad after 1 Key press. Turned the gradient effect off, and since then it doesn't occur anymore, I plugged both of the connectors to USB 3.0 and I'm using a Asus laptop. Now for your Color Issue, If you keep getting the same Issue with newer board, I recommend to plug your keyboard to your other computer to see if the problem still persist. If so then it might be a faulty LED controller that's causing the wrong color to display. Then if not, its probably a software with your computer that needs to be updated like the USB controllers/Corsair CUE. Also check for possible grounding of your USB connectors for it might be the cause of feeding too much/less power to the LED lights causing it to dim or malfunction.

Did they ask you to perform a hard firmware reset first? Its usually a firmware issue, and has nothing to do with the LED its self.

Err that's weird I have the same issue with Number 5 on the Numpad :bigeyes: , It turns green when I've set it to Blue. I fixed mine somehow by pressing the key. All i did was put a layer of white Gradient effect on the numpad after 1 Key press. Turned the gradient effect off, and since then it doesn't occur anymore, I plugged both of the connectors to USB 3.0 and I'm using a Asus laptop. Now for your Color Issue, If you keep getting the same Issue with newer board, I recommend to plug your keyboard to your other computer to see if the problem still persist. If so then it might be a faulty LED controller that's causing the wrong color to display. Then if not, its probably a software with your computer that needs to be updated like the USB controllers/Corsair CUE. Also check for possible grounding of your USB connectors for it might be the cause of feeding too much/less power to the LED lights causing it to dim or malfunction.

If this keeps happening contact Corsair support and ask for a hard firmware reset.

I don't know how much more it would add to Corsair's BOM, but a lot of these RMA's would go away if Corsair would simply switch to modular key switches that the user could easily replace without RMA to Corsair. Include a couple of extra switches in the box. It would make me a lot more confident in dropping the amount of $$$ being asked for these keyboards.

Did they ask you to perform a hard firmware reset first? Its usually a firmware issue, and has nothing to do with the LED its self.

If this keeps happening contact Corsair support and ask for a hard firmware reset.[/quote

Mine doesn't have the problem anymore, perhaps firelegend240 needs the firmware reset since he kept on returning his Keyboard to corsair. That's just weird having the same issue after getting replacement keyboards.

• 9 months later...

If this keeps happening contact Corsair support and ask for a hard firmware reset.[/quote

Mine doesn't have the problem anymore, perhaps firelegend240 needs the firmware reset since he kept on returning his Keyboard to corsair. That's just weird having the same issue after getting replacement keyboards.

Would you please tell me how to perform the hard firmware reset?, I have some led that doesn put the right color.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

My Corsair Strafe had one of the RGB LEDs fail within a year and a half.

The keyboard was replaced by Corsair under warranty, but I still had to pay for the postage (insuranced) to have it returned. The RMA process took ~1 month.