Corsair Community

Corsair Drivers are Garbage. (Win 10 1803 Issue + Solution)

ESMN

A month ago I tried installing the update, which didn't work, ended up trying to fix something that wasn't broken and it lead to me bricking my computer, and having to format my C: drive and completely reinstall Windows.

I was furious.

After I reinstalled Windows, and everything else I thought I was 100% up to date, turns out I was wrong, not only did I not have the 1803 update, but I also didn't have the 1709 update. It took me probably 4-5 hours to get the 1709 update to work, and then I tried MULTIPLE ways to install the 1803 update, and doing the common solutions that I found through Google.

Then my computer starting bluescreening on startup, so I checked the error log and saw that the Corsair service was causing issues.

I uninstalled iCUE, ran CCleaner, and was magically able to install the 1803 updates with no issues.

This is getting close to my last straw with Corsair.

I *had* a Corsair Void Pro RGB, had connection issues so I had to RMA it. That process was the absolute ******** worst, Corsairs CSR's are either overworked or just plainly suck at their job.

After my headset was sitting with them for over a week or two, I called and asked what's going on, CSR told me they didn't know because "I didn't provide them with the tracking number", even though the RMA label was taped to the box (technically in a document sleeve). Sent that in through their online support thing, waited another week and posted online asking for an update, told me they'd be "shipping it soon", the next day I got a call from Fedex saying that they have a package ready for pick-up for me. Not to sure what the disconnect is between your warranty/shipping department is, but it's extremely silly.

I meant to call and complain, but what good what that do?

As soon as I picked up the replacement headset from Fedex, I put it up for sale and purchased a Steelseries Arctis 7, oddly enough I was planning on getting a Steelseries headset at the time but the guy at the computer shop suggested the void. Poor form.

I'm now thinking of selling my K70 Lux RGB and getting a Steelseries keyboard instead.

Absolutely garbage drivers, products and support. Sorry for the rant.

tl;dr - If you're having problems doing Windows updates, or having BSOD's, just uninstall the junk drivers.

I am sorry you had a bad run and I can't answer for service issues. However, any time you do a major Windows update like these semi-annual "service upgrades", you need to remove and reinstall all of your major drivers (video, sound, and certainly things like iCUE/CUE2/Link). You are asking for trouble if you don't. Obviously iCUE does not prevent updating to Win Ver. 1803 or none of us would be on it. It is most likely the Windows update process corrupted the driver in a way that made the normal Windows process unable to remove it on the subsequent update attempt. This stuff happens to all drivers and that's why you need to clean and reinstall them after major surgery. The double update likely complicated the normal discovery and repair process. I would tell you to ask Microsoft why they can't come up with an update method that is less problematic (on any level), but you would be wasting your time. Most of us have learned this one the hard way as well and this is why people end up doing a clean install of the OS --- or out of complete frustration and desperation.

Good luck with the other issues.

However, any time you do a major Windows update like these semi-annual "service upgrades", you need to remove and reinstall all of your major drivers (video, sound, and certainly things like iCUE/CUE2/Link). You are asking for trouble if you don't.

LOL, this is the first time I read about that. This is absolutely NOT true.

Please stop justifying all the bad things users are encountering with their Corsair product, you sound like a ridiculous Corsair fanboy. I also had tons of problems with Corsair, all reported in this forum, and I would't recommend their product to anyone, ever.

CORSAIR IS CRAP ADVERTISED AS GOLD. PERIOD.

Please stop justifying all the bad things users are encountering with their Corsair product, you sound like a ridiculous Corsair fanboy. I also had tons of problems with Corsair, all reported in this forum, and I would't recommend their product to anyone, ever.

I suggest your first re-read the above post, then start on the 5000 others before classifying me. Your experiences, which I have read, don't have anything to do with installing a major Windows update. Therefore you are just taking another opportunity to pass your negative experience on to someone else, without even bothering to take the time to do it in a meaningful way. Continually tacking your personal negative feelings to every random post does not help the poster or anyone else. They are perfectly capable of coming to their own conclusions. Your adolescent antics don't add anything to the discussion.

There is also a whole wide world of internet traffic for you peruse in which people come out of Windows updates with driver issues. At this point, you don't really have any credibility to go along with your assertion, so perhaps you should keep it to yourself or start asking questions instead of stomping on other people.

than sell your corsair products on craigslist and uninstall icue and move on to something else so we dont have to read your whining comments about how bad corsair is bla bla bla .....:p:

I suggest your first re-read the above post, then start on the 5000 others before classifying me. Your experiences, which I have read, don't have anything to do with installing a major Windows update. Therefore you are just taking another opportunity to pass your negative experience on to someone else, without even bothering to take the time to do it in a meaningful way. Continually tacking your personal negative feelings to every random post does not help the poster or anyone else. They are perfectly capable of coming to their own conclusions. Your adolescent antics don't add anything to the discussion.

There is also a whole wide world of internet traffic for you peruse in which people come out of Windows updates with driver issues. At this point, you don't really have any credibility to go along with your assertion, so perhaps you should keep it to yourself or start asking questions instead of stomping on other people.

I'm not saying that I had the same issue. I successfully updated so many versions of Windows 10 I lost the count. About Corsair products I got a lot of different issues, instead, but it's not the point.

I'm saying I never had the need to uninstall any driver before updating and this is the first time I hear something like this. Windows updates are developed to be problem-less. Windows knows in advance if you could encounter some problem with the new update and it doesn't let to do it.

I updated loads of Windows 10 installs on many machines with no problems, so far. I know what I'm saying. Telling you need to "remove and reinstall all of your major drivers" is just absurd and makes me laugh.

Since this is not the first time I read you justifying Corsair related issues with fancy theories I call yours a fanboy behavior. I hate this because we all spent boats of money for Corsair products and now we all are experiencing a lot of still unresolved issues, Corsair DOES NOT CARE and you're here doing this butthurt fanboy stuff that annoys us every time, you're trying to defend the indefensible.

I invite you to go fanboy something else, instead. Get a Mac and become an Apple fanboy, at least there everything seem to work properly.

than sell your corsair products on craigslist and uninstall icue and move on to something else so we dont have to read your whining comments about how bad corsair is bla bla bla .....:p:

I don't want to sell these products as used. I WANT ALL MY MONEY BACK.

Windows updates are developed to be problem-less. Windows knows in advance if you could encounter some problem with the new update and it doesn't let to do it.

How many LOLs can I write without looking ridiculous?

I don’t buy into your innumerable Windows 10 update sample size. Your prior posts completely rule out any possibility that you are a tech professional and your claims highly improbable. That makes you something else entirely.

You have your own thread to continue your ranting. Get off of this one and take your slanderous sentiments and insults with you.

I like this quote right here :biggrin: :

attachment.php?attachmentid=33699&d=1531846561

Joking aside, iCue is relatively new on the market, granted it has a lot of the same underpinnings of CUE. RGB software in general is in it's infancy. I spent a lot of time looking at different ecosystems and I did like Corsair's offerings the most. Yes iCue still has bugs, though they do engage with their community and patch regularly. Sadly I can't say the same for my motherboard's RGB Software. There are a lot of people who like their products and are not just "fan boys". Going with new products and new software is not for everyone. They call it the bleeding edge for a reason. As an early adopter you have to put with some hiccups. Lastly developing software for PCs that have vastly different hardware and operating systems is a nothing like creating an app or tool for a closed system like Apple. A gaming console or an Apple product might be a good fit for you. They will eventually fix the bug with rainbows at lock screen. Though going around and insulting people on this forum and asking for help is not going to win you any friends.

Edit: A year or so ago my old man's PC got "upgraded" from Windows 8 to Windows 10. No NIC drivers were installed and he is trying to figure out why he can't get online. He tried the restore to Windows 8 method and it didn't work. He ended up reformatting. My wife's and my mom's Laptop never supported it and both were slowed down to a snail's pace. Then the windows 10 spring creators update has been causing some grief as well, with (re)enabling windows fast startup.

review.thumb.PNG.e6554f2a868662f326fa3f9bf77c43ed.PNG

I like this quote right here :biggrin: :

attachment.php?attachmentid=33699&d=1531846561

Yeah, I like the title of that post.

Joking aside, iCue is relatively new on the market, granted it has a lot of the same underpinnings of CUE. RGB software in general is in it's infancy. I spent a lot of time looking at different ecosystems and I did like Corsair's offerings the most. Yes iCue still has bugs, though they do engage with their community and patch regularly. Sadly I can't say the same for my motherboard's RGB Software. There are a lot of people who like their products and are not just "fan boys". Going with new products and new software is not for everyone. They call it the bleeding edge for a reason. As an early adopter you have to put with some hiccups. Lastly developing software for PCs that have vastly different hardware and operating systems is a nothing like creating an app or tool for a closed system like Apple.

I completely agree with you, but I have to point out that Corsair is a big player in the RGB market, it's getting a lot from selling the hardware. Its developers have all the tools they need to fix the bugs, implements new features and improve those that are already there. It's not a new branch of science, it's just about development. We see an update once a while and the last three updates didn't bring pretty anything than new bugs.

But on the other hand, Corsair is very active in advertising and promoting its products everywhere. It promotes iCUE as a stable software, but it still have that feeling of an alpha release. Doesn't all this get you mad?

Yeah, I like the title of that post.

I completely agree with you, but I have to point out that Corsair is a big player in the RGB market, it's getting a lot from selling the hardware. Its developers have all the tools they need to fix the bugs, implements new features and improve those that are already there. It's not a new branch of science, it's just about development. We see an update once a while and the last three updates didn't bring pretty anything than new bugs.

But on the other hand, Corsair is very active in advertising and promoting its products everywhere. It promotes iCUE as a stable software, but it still have that feeling of an alpha release. Doesn't all this get you mad?

Trust me it is a lot better than a lot of other offerings out there. Gigabyte's RGB Fusion and Asus's Aura both have a lot of issues. Maybe I like Corsair iCue as some of the other issues I see with other tools and the lack of response is maddening on their subreddits and their forums. I still like Gigabyte's motherboard, though they need to improve on their support a lot more. I will still buy their boards are the Motherboard industry in general has poor customer support. The only exception is EVGA, though they don't make great motherboards :(

I don't know if you have ever worked for a large company and I don't speak for Corsair, though things don't move as quickly as you think they do. There are also different departments with their own budgets, payroll, HR, and management. Designing, developing, and usability testing for a consumer tool is not cheap or easy. In theory they are not charging for the tool, only for the device that use it. They have to go through regression testing to make sure it doesn't majorly impact things. The biggest issue I saw was with the CPU usage and the community put together a work around as well as Corsair patched it a couple weeks later. Not going live with iCUE when they did, means they would have missed the launch of the new RAM and other items at Computex. This would have been bad for them to miss. Sometime you have to way the pros and cons and sometimes there is no best answer, only the least worst. Corsair has been releasing a patch about once a month, so things will improve and they have been. We both seem to have come into iCue the same way, but have gotten completely different outlooks on it. I am really sorry you aren't enjoying your products. Though many people are happy, myself included and I know they will continue to improve. I even bought a 3xHD-120 and a LNP for my old man for fathers day. You can never be too old for RGB.

There are things that do get my goat, though I try to bear in mind that everyone makes mistakes. I try to judge people by how the recover from those mistakes and faults. It can show you how good they really can be. When MS "upgraded" my parents' and wife's system to Windows 10, I had much less kind words to say. It had much more of a negative impact than iCue will ever have. I think the issues and bugs with iCue are relatively minor and will be worked out. I enjoy the product and the rainbow effect doesn't bother me.

I am sorry you had a bad run and I can't answer for service issues. However, any time you do a major Windows update like these semi-annual "service upgrades", you need to remove and reinstall all of your major drivers (video, sound, and certainly things like iCUE/CUE2/Link). You are asking for trouble if you don't. Obviously iCUE does not prevent updating to Win Ver. 1803 or none of us would be on it. It is most likely the Windows update process corrupted the driver in a way that made the normal Windows process unable to remove it on the subsequent update attempt. This stuff happens to all drivers and that's why you need to clean and reinstall them after major surgery. The double update likely complicated the normal discovery and repair process. I would tell you to ask Microsoft why they can't come up with an update method that is less problematic (on any level), but you would be wasting your time. Most of us have learned this one the hard way as well and this is why people end up doing a clean install of the OS --- or out of complete frustration and desperation.

Good luck with the other issues.

LOL.

The error I received was "0xC1900101" during the repeated attempts at updating Windows. When I checked my Window Error Logs, it says "Corsair.Service" or something along the lines. Once I REMOVED iCUE and ran CCleaner, I was magically able to update windows. Quit being such a fanboy, it was obviously the issue.

Also, having to remove all your drivers is absolutely bull****. Windows keeps them up to date for a reason.

I second this. Absolutely false and retarded claim that you have to remove your drivers to update Windows.. only time you have to remove them is when Corsair releases a ****ty one.

Hold on a sec while I remove my GPU, Mobo, USB, Network Adapter, etc drivers to update windows hurrdurr

LOL.

The error I received was "0xC1900101" during the repeated attempts at updating Windows. When I checked my Window Error Logs, it says "Corsair.Service" or something along the lines. Once I REMOVED iCUE and ran CCleaner, I was magically able to update windows. Quit being such a fanboy, it was obviously the issue.

Also, having to remove all your drivers is absolutely bull****. Windows keeps them up to date for a reason

Obviously it became corrupted. You don't really think the driver got mad and corrupted itself? When do you think this happened? You weren't blue screening before. Post Windows install you were. It doesn't take a computer science degree to sort that one out. You probably would have discovered the problem in due course, but the double install made things more difficult. I'm a bit puzzled that you allow Windows to manage your drivers, yet you are more than a year out of date on Windows. You certainly don't have to take Microsoft's features updates, but then usually people who block those are particular enough to care and careful enough to manage their system. You don't have to uninstall your drivers on major updates. It was suggestion from someone who is careful and doesn't like to spend hours trying to solve those kinds of problems. I've already learned that one the hard way. Once is enough for me. You can make your own decisions, but of course if you had done so you would have saved yourself a lot of time. Regardless, the driver corruption doesn't have anything to with your other issues, which presumably is what you would have liked a response to, before the thread was hijacked. As for your assertion to my motives, I suggest you join the other guy and start reading -- every single post. You are grossly misinformed.

Oh, but then when I look closer at my logs I see a bunch of BSOD and other issues relating to a Corsair executable file and think to myself "Hey, if this is causing issues, and Windows isn't updating to 1803 because of a DRIVER ISSUE, maybe I'll try uninstalling it", and what do you know, works like a charm after removing iCUE.

The entire argument of your original post is you should reinstall iCUE after a major Windows update like 1803 if you are having trouble, to which I agree and suggest you do the same for other major drivers because there is always a chance this can happen with those as well. You then counter-argue that it is ridiculous to re-install drivers after doing a major Windows update and these things fix themselves. The position reversal and full insult barrage is an interesting turn to make when someone is agreeing with you. Maybe you are also suffering from "spontaneous corruption", if you believe in that kind of thing. When you are feeling better, you should put some of the same hard work and effort into finding other instances of people having video or sound driver issues post major Windows update. Should only take a few seconds.

iCUE is full of bugs, but hey, in this forum is never Corsair's fault, it's Microsoft's or someone else fault.

It's user's fault if he didn't think about uninstalling iCUE before updating Windows and getting a random BSOD. Hey user! Didn't you think about that? Shame on you! It's common sense! Uninstall and reinstall everything!!1!

It's never Corsair's fault, their hardware and software are obviously perfect.

Hey user! Didn't you think about that? Shame on you! It's common sense! Uninstall and reinstall everything!!1!

When re-installing the entire operating system? Yeah, you might want to consider it.

Once again you are projecting your personal feelings onto someone else's problem. No one said the original poster was at fault. No one said anything about the viability or current functionality of the software. As I have suggested time and again to you, re-read, think, and then don't write. I am not sure why you are still adding to forum with your stated position of wanting to get rid of all your Corsair gear. No one is trying to save you. You can go.

After I reinstalled Windows, and everything else I thought I was 100% up to date, turns out I was wrong, not only did I not have the 1803 update, but I also didn't have the 1709 update. It took me probably 4-5 hours to get the 1709 update to work, and then I tried MULTIPLE ways to install the 1803 update, and doing the common solutions that I found through Google.

You see, here's your problem, 2018 and people keep installing their "original windows I bought 4 years ago" and then installing dozens of updates, even big ones, until they're finally up to date.

This is a mistake, the windows 10 serial key is now attached to your email, not the dvd you bought a long time ago.

What everyone should do in order to reinstall Windows 10, is to use the MSFT upgrade tool, download the LATEST windows 10 version, and then reinstall using that. Once you login with your email, your Windows 10 will be automatically activated.

As a guy with a lot of years of experience, installing a windows 8 and updating at least 4 major updates including updating to Windows 10, will cause problems, period. No matter what software you use, something is going to be corrupted. That's how it works.

Just do yourself a favor, stop using CCleaner, download the latest windows 10 version from the MSFT site and then reinstall Windows using that, only after all the required updates are installed, then proceed to install any software you require.

2018 and people keeps installing software in a new windows installation, before letting windows update itself.

PLEASE stop using old Windows disc in order to reinstall after a format, this is an old and outdated method, you now should get windows 10 from the MSFT site and use a USB pendrive for reinstallations.

In fact after any major Windows update (anniversary update, creators update, april 2018 update, etc) yeah, you should format windows and start from scratch. With SSDs formatting windows and reinstalling everything should not take more than 30 minutes.

I'm glad you found another way to blame the user

I think there is someone to blame. The original poster had two issues - a driver problem and a customer service problem. Everyone had left his post alone, then he bumped it. I acknowledged the driver issue, made what should have been at that point a very obvious suggestion for everyone about reinstalling drivers post OS re-installs, and then that cleared the way for someone from Corsair to respond to the customer service aspect. You then turned this thread into a septic pit, eliminating any possibility someone from Corsair would respond to this thread at all... at least not in the way any of you would like. This thing is surely destined for censure and closure and the original poster will not get any satisfaction. I tried to steer you off, but you really don't get it. You stomped all over his chance to get an answer to something that Corsair should have addressed in some way. You continually misread the situation and turned this thread into your own vehicle for personal satisfaction. That was selfish.

• Corsair Employee
iCUE isn't perfect but no software is. Issues can be related to hardware and software, and everything that exists between them. Does iCUE have bugs? Yes. Does Windows have bugs? Yes. Does your motherboard have bugs? Yes. Combine them all and you get a cornucopia of issues. We will do what we can always to solve what we can *reproduce* but sometimes there can be issues just related to a certain combination of elements beyond anyone's control.

I'm glad you found another way to blame the user

You know what? Sometimes is the user fault, and ignorance regarding software, that's why there's people working on IT fixing things some users cannot.

If you really think that INSTALLING A WINDOWS 8 AND THEN INSTALLING LITERALLY 5 MAJOR WINDOWS 10 UPDATES, will not bring you any issue at all, then you have no idea how software and OS works.

No, it wont work perfectly if you do that. I've heard people installing windows 7 and then Windows 8 and then Windows 8.1 and then Windows 10 and then all the major Windows 10 updates, and yes, if you do that, that windows will be full of bugs, that is not the correct way to install windows 10, period, it doesn't matter what you think, it is not right and never will.

Having said that, PLEASE OP if you need help re installing Windows 10 from scratch, let me know and I will gladly help you with the process.

Regards.

However, any time you do a major Windows update like these semi-annual "service upgrades", you need to remove and reinstall all of your major drivers (video, sound, and certainly things like iCUE/CUE2/Link). You are asking for trouble if you don't.

I'd love to see a source and anything other than anecdotal evidence for this claim.

I have around 7 Win 10 machines at home that have all been through major updates without issue and also without removing 'major drivers'. I also look after a network with nearly 500 Win 10 machines on it. They're all remotely managed, get major updates and there is rarely an issue with major updates.

Clearly, I'm not saying that windows updates (any of them) never cause issues. Sometimes the fix may be to re-install a driver or a different version that is compatible.

It is NOT helpful for people to spread dis-information. Issues in this thread aside, the quoted statement is simply untrue.

Archived