Corsair Community

AX760 Coil Whine

JackedSparrow

My new AX760 is emitting a high pitched whine constantly even during normal use, and it is loud enough that I can hear it through my case. The whining noise also gets louder when I put my pc to sleep and the noise is also in sync with the status LED on my case. I have read the noisy PSU thread and tried all the suggested fix but it didn't fix it. I did some test on my own like removing all the unnecessary components such as SPDIF connector, USB adapter, and lighting but the noise is still there. I also plugged the psu straight to the outlet but it's still there. I don't have a UPS btw.

Funny thing is, the noise is only present on my new system, an Asus P8Z77-V. I tried the psu on my 7 yr old system, an Asus P5WDH Deluxe and it is DEAD silent. So I tried to reset the BIOS to default but it is still there. I tried different settings too but nothing helps.

Im upgrading from an old HX620 psu which I carried over from my previous build. It is turning 7 yrs old this September so it might be time to change it, and it never gave me any problem. Kinda disappointing that I'm getting this from a newer psu. Not sure what else to try though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0gLhuhuC4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WInTKhANy6E

Funny thing is, the noise is only present on my new system, an Asus P8Z77-V.

Obviously there is something about your board that is clashing with the PSU. Since it's dead silent in another system , you really can't put the blame on the PSU though. I would at least get a hold of ASUS and run this by them.

I would agree. But I have been using the HX620 on the new board, noise free for almost a year now, and 6+ years on the old board. I reckon the new board is putting a strain on the AX760, where the old board is not. I pinpointed where the noise is coming from and its definitely coming from the capacitor. It is "singing", I don't know if it's going to blow up soon or what.

So I returned the AX760 and got the AX760i because it was on sale (same price as AX760). Before returning it I tried it one last time by unplugging EVERYTHING on the board and taking it out of the case. And as soon as I plug in the 24 pin ATX on the bare board the noise starts right away. Changing BIOS settings didn't help either. I guess there is something in the Seasonic design or components that my board didn't like.

The AX760i is designed by Flextronics and my board likes it. No coil whine, no noise whatsoever except for the fan at startup, but meh whatever. Voltage regulation is extremely tight too at less than 1% deviation. Corsair link is very good but still has a few bugs. It doesnt minimize properly at startup, it stays in the taskbar. Would be nice to have a graph for Power consumption too, not just for temp and fan speed.

One reading I don't believe is the the efficiency rating. Mine at idle, is at 99% efficiency, and if I understand the the efficiency curve porperly, it should be low at both ends of the curve. My pc idles at 60W, which is 8% system load. According to the curve, efficiency should be around 90% not 99%. The 99% efficiency alone is hard to believe, unless I'm just lucky.

This is not a complaint, I just want to know if this is normal, and if its not then its a bug. Overall, I am very impressed with the AX760i. It's really a premium product, from packaging to performance it's top notch.

• 2 years later...

i have a friend in the ukraine who just gave me an audio file of his, and i isolated it, and it definitely is coil whine centered around 6.75-7.00 kHz..

would it be worth his effort to RMA this or will it work fine for him?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/kc5vdj/artem.ax760.sounds-004_zps7k8tt1yu.png

from adobe audition cs6. 30 band equalization set with 6.3 khz and 8 khz sliders +10 dB, and all other sliders to -60 dB.

i have a wav file of this, if someone knows where i can upload it...

• Corsair Employee
If your friend's system does not have stability issues under load and if the coil whine is not excessively loud, then I'd keep it that way. But if it's bothering him, he can always submit an RMA request to get that unit replaced.

Well, he says that he does have to get close, but that he has sensitive ears which caused him to hunt it down. He was asking me about it, since this is like an RMA replacement that he just got for the one that died on him, and the shipping/customs is apparently a bit pricey there in the Ukraine.

Archived