Corsair Community

Futile attempts at Corsair Link Commander installation

wa3pnt

Okay day 4 attempting to install the Link Commander (LC), and I believe an RMA may be in order. Here's the background:

New build with 400R, ASUS Sabertooth 990X, FX-8350 CPU, ASUS Gforce GTX650TI Boost GPU, WD HD, AX860i, H100i, Windows 8 64Bit Pro, and I thought LC with Cooling Node (CN). H100i (Fans, Temp, LED), CPU, AX860i (connected via the pump port), CPU, GPU, HD all appear and operate correctly in the Corsair Link (CL) Program.

Attempted to install the LC with the CN (with 1 case fan and 1 Temp Sensor attached) per the instruction in the Forum Sticky. When the LC is connected to the USB Header the light on the LC illuminates Green, and never flashes Red indicating data flow. Though I did find the LC in the Device Manager HID section (HID/VID-1B1C & PID C000) it did not appear in the CL Program Options>Devices or System Tabs. Read every post regarding this problem, and did numerous uninstall/reinstalls per the various scenarios. Thinking that possibly the CN was defective, I disconnected it and connected the AX860i to the LC. Still no data and not visible in the CL Program. I don't know if it will work (and it didn't) but I also tried connecting the CN to the data port on the Pump Head (since the AX860i was visible in this configuration) and none of the components connected to the CN (Case Fan & Temp Sensor) were visible in the CL Program.

I'll note at this time that per some of Ram Guy's posts, I did not even install the AI Suite, and have no other monitoring software in the computer. Also, when an uninstall of the CL Program was done, I shut down the computer, turned off the power supply until the residual voltage bled off, and upon restart removed the entire Corsair Folder from my User>ME>AppData>Roaming directory, and ran CCleaner to remove any residual Registry entries.

I also tried connecting the LC to the H100i Pump Head with a data cable, and then tried only the H100i USB, only the LC USB, and both USB connections to the Motherboard without success.

Having tried everything that I could think of, or read on this Forum, I decided to try the LC and CN on another computer. This computer has an ASUS F1A75-V Motherboard, AMD A8-3850 CPU, Rosewill PS running Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate. Again I tried every configuration and installation scenario available, without ever seeing the LC in the CL Program. And again, only a solid Green light on the LC.

Computer number three is a MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard, Intel I7-950 CPU, Rosewill PS running Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate. As above, every conceivable installation scenario was used, but still no LC in the CL Program.

The fourth, and final computer that I just finished trying to install the LC in contains an ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 Motherboard, AMD PH II X4 965 CPU, Rosewill PS, ASUS GT610-2GD3-CSM GPU running Windows 8.1. Same scenario on installs, and same lack of results. Also followed Scotty's Win 8.1 Workaround without success.

My conclusion now is that I have a defective Corsair Link, and/or Cooling Node. I will be requesting an RMA after posting this.

RodeoGeorge

I had a very similar issue. the commander would not be recognized. i tried several other ideas to get it to work.

This is what i did. i installed the beta software 2.4.4948 (currently the latest) it still did not recognize the commander. but i update the firmware anyway using the CL software. I then uninstalled CL.

followed instructions in the following link: (the first set involving fully removing link software) I then re installed the software and the link commander was recognized.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=121200

I'm not sure if you have tried this or not, but may help.

I had a very similar issue. the commander would not be recognized. i tried several other ideas to get it to work.

This is what i did. i installed the beta software 2.4.4948 (currently the latest) it still did not recognize the commander. but i update the firmware anyway using the CL software. I then uninstalled CL.

followed instructions in the following link: (the first set involving fully removing link software) I then re installed the software and the link commander was recognized.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=121200

I'm not sure if you have tried this or not, but may help.

I have not tried what you just posted, and I thank you for the information.

I have the Commander and Cooling Node boxed up for return, but have not received a reply to my RMA request.

After dinner, I'll go to one of my Windows 7 machines and follow what you posted, then update this thread.

Thanks again.

RodeoGeorge

Well ArlingtonBeech, as you can tell by the old clock on the wall (time of post) it's been a long night.

Followed the instructions in vandist's post to the letter. Took 1-1/2 hours to uninstall the 33 Framework updates.

When I installed Corsair Link V2.2.0 it stated that it needed Framework, so I got them all.

Installed CL, and still cannot see the Commander Module or the Cooling Node, so I can't update it, if in fact the Firmware is not the latest.

I'm packing the unit up and back in the wait state for a response to the RMA. Hopefully get it shipped on Monday.

It was a valiant effort, but again futile.

I did make an Acronis backup of my system before starting the uninstalls of Framework, so I can restore the entire system to the pre-effort configuration.

RodeoGeorge

Toasted, you saved the day.

Finally seen the post that you made regarding using the older version of Corsair Link to find and update the Firmware on the Commander and Cooling Node.

Tried it on a Win 7 machine, and was able to update Firmware. Now everything is visible in my Win 8 machine.

That post should definitely be Stickied!!!!!

Thank you, and I can now cancel my RMA request.

RodeoGeorge

Archived