Corsair Community

Help with my Modular PSU for safety / stability

iightfyre

Hi everyone!

I am having a lot of questions setting up my new rig; mostly because of the amount of RGB fans and pumps I will be installing.

I have simplified my original post to get to my main question that I cannot find an answer to ANYWHERE.. it's literally driving my crazy.....

I want to hook up 2x CoPro and 2x RGB hubs to the following cable

wG83l0Q.png

Product information is here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/premium-individually-sleeved-sata-cable-type-4-generation-3-config/p/CP-8920191

Will it be safe to do this?

I read that a "Sata power cable" max amperage is 4.5 - so does that mean 4.5a per Sata connection (Which there are 4 of on this cable) or 4.5a for the entire cable?

The total load on that cable will be for 12 fans (2 CoPro and 2 RGB Hubs - 1ea for set of 6 fans (PWM / RGB)) - If each fan PWM is .3a and RGB is approx .254a (*For Rainbow - got this number from Corsair official post); then an array of 6 RGB Fans (QL120 & QL14) is approx 3.5 amps. Which means that 2x of these arrays on one of these cables is going to be roughly 7a. Will this be safe?

Thank you for your help in figuring this out!!! Literally cannot find answers to this anywhere :(

Edited by iightfyre
Simplify my main question

Thanks for the response. I am actually planning on using 6x CoPros. My Obsidian 1000D configuration includes 16x QL120s, 8x QL140s, 2x XD5s (1 for GPU loop and 1 for CPU loop), AX1600i PSU, XC7 CPU Waterblock and potentially the Dominator Airflow Fan (I have it, but unsure if I need it and if I prefer the look of it or not)

I want to ensure that every fan is completely independently controllable for RPM and RGB - so I will not be using any PWM splitters or any of the motherboard’s PWM fam headers.

GoPro Config:

1) 4x QL120s and 2x QL140s

2) 4x QL120s and 2x QL140s

3) 4x QL120s and 2x QL140s

4) 4x QL120s and 2x QL140s

5) 1x XD5 and 1x XC7

6) 1x XD5 and potentially the Dom Airflow Fan

Edited by iightfyre

there's no real advantage into having individual control over fans mounted on the same radiator.

You could use powered PWM hubs and control them per radiator. That would let you use just one CoPro for the entire build probably, including pump control.

And icue acts wonky with several CoPro on a single system. Apparently they often don't appear in the same order on the interface..

Ok thanks for the input! I am going to try with the config I have mapped out but will check in icue how stable the multiple CoPros are. Are u suggesting that if I set up a flowing rainbow type Rgb pattern that on reboot the CoPros may show up in a new order resulting in the case pattern now flowing like it did prior to reboot?

I’m really trying to be able to make a wave like flow across the whole case by carefully placing each fan in order 1-6 how I want the wave to go.

Really hoping that it will work in practice like it does in my head :x