Corsair Community

Windows stutters & failing to restart or shutdown.

MOUTIN

Hello,

I bought a new setup around August last year and I had an experienced friend build it for me.

Problems already started occurring in November where my Windows wouldn't update properly and I had to do full reset every time a bigger update came around.

Then in January CS:GO started acting up with barely noticeable stutters to pretty heavy ones which made it pretty much unplayable.

Looked around for different settings to change in the Nvidia Control Panel to turning off core 0 in task manager.

Feel like I pretty much tested every single tip & trick on google.

Didn't really encounter any issues in other games as far as I noticed.

Now, since March everything started going downhill with this beast of a computer, I fully reinstalled Windows but as soon as I started installing drivers it would stutter up and not reboot properly.

If I want to restart it will stay on the restarting screen and with the wheel spinning forever until eventually I end up with a blue screen with the stop code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

If I want to shutdown my monitor goes black as if the PC shuts off but it keeps running like its just idling.

Maybe its worth noting that I also used Oculus Rift S on this PC where I had to go through some steps to make it not hiccup in games (like changing USB power settings etc)

But these issues i'm having persist even now after another full reinstall without internet and only installing nvidia drivers and asus armoury crate for drivers and only connecting mouse & keyboard.

Everything is set to default in BIOS.

I also had another tech savvy friend have a look and he couldn't find any hardware failure although he didn't get to look at the SSDs yet. He mentioned this could point towards an issue with the power supply.

Specs below:

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix

Corsair Hydro H115i PRO

Corsair RM750x

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz 16GB

Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB M.2 SSD

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD

As you can probably understand this issue is driving me nuts considering the money spent on this PC.

Any help is very much appreciated and I hope I posted this in the correct place,

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • Corsair Employee
He mentioned this could point towards an issue with the power supply.

Your friend would be incorrect. A PSU would not cause these issues.

Actually sounds like a faulty motherboard. Hopefully something simple like an outdated BIOS or a driver issue.

The fact that Windows won't even install correctly means that there is something really wrong here.

Like PSU GUY I don't think that this is a PSU fault. It is far more likely a fault on the motherboard or graphics card. What I would do is spent a little as possible on an ultra cheap graphics card ( that is new, so it's known to be working ) and repeat actions that you know cause issues. If it still happens then start to suspect the motherboard. The only way to test it really is to replace it.