Corsair Community

How To: Make RGB Extension Cables / Repair RGB Fan Connectors

DevBiker

Thanks for the fast reply.

Does it mean there is no way to connect it to a Lightning Node Core and i have to use a CoPro or NoPro?

A Node Core is trickier. If it's the last item on the Node Core, then you'd connect Pin 1 => Pin 1, Pin 3 => Pin 2, Pin 4 => Pin 4.

If it's not the last item on the Node Code, you need to jump Pin 2 and Pin 3 on the Node Core connection.

BTW - PirateDog has all of this stuff figured out. ;)

Again big Thanks for the Reply and help.

A Node Core is trickier. If it's the last item on the Node Core, then you'd connect Pin 1 => Pin 1, Pin 3 => Pin 2, Pin 4 => Pin 4.

If it's not the last item on the Node Code, you need to jump Pin 2 and Pin 3 on the Node Core connection.

You listed the Pins in this Manner? Node Core => 3Pin ARGB

If i understand Correct, Pin 2 on NodeCore goes to next Port on Pin 3, so they are chained?

BTW - PirateDog has all of this stuff figured out. ;)

Yes i know, thats what he sells. But like i said, the shipping cost is to damn high for my Country and his informations i didnt find anywhere.

Again big Thanks for the Reply and help.

You listed the Pins in this Manner? Node Core => 3Pin ARGB

If i understand Correct, Pin 2 on NodeCore goes to next Port on Pin 3, so they are chained?

Yes, Node Core => ARGB.

And yes, they are chained. Each fan has an output data line that becomes the input data line on the next fan. The motherboard style ARGB doesn't have this functionality so the best you can do is to jump the pins so the output becomes input to the next.

Again thx DevBiker for the Help.

I managed to build the Adaptercable, turned out very well. Unfortunately if you Sync the Strimer Plus with an external ARGB Signal it will only emulate 27 LEDs no mather what you tell the Software how much there are. It seems the Controller from the Strimer takes only one LEDstrip and copy the effect on the others. One LEDstrip from the 8Pin Strimer has 27 LEDs

First i tried with the Lighting Node Core and set it as 6 QL Fans. Only 27LEDs from the First Fans are showed.

Second i build an Adapter for 3pin ARGB to 3pin Corsair and Put it in the Commander Pro. Same Result no Matter what Devices i choose on this Channel it will only use 27 LEDs.

In conclusion it's nice to have the Option to Sync it to iCue, but you have to pay the cost only be able to use simple effects on the Stimer Plus. At the end i went back using the Stimer's controller for full effect. But the adapter was worth it anyway, now i Put my Velocity block to iCue :)

Hope that my experience help someone with the same idea. Maybe someone have a other hind too, to make this maybe happen.

Greetings

Hi,

Hoping for some advice. I'm using the LED kit for under my desk and along the back.

For the back of the desk, I have strips on one channel and another 4 on another.

My issue is that I don't like the gaps shown in the diffuser between the strips due to the join.

The obvious solution is to use a single strip instead, approx 3m x 30LED/M however I've always been dubious about getting the correct colour matching. I had a similar issue with Hue lighting in my kitchen and living room.

Could you recommend a 3rd party strip that would be suitable or would a better approach me to shorten the joins between the strips themselves, i.e. remove the connectors and splice the cables so the gap is approx the same as between the LEDs themselves?

Current set up below.

PQzQy57.jpg

5 strips under desk

10 strips back of desk.

5 L100s behind monitors.

4 strips in case

6 LL120s in case

2 LL120s on AIO cooler.

I will be adding a further 3 LL120s on the bottom of case when my new GFX riser and USD hub arrives.

Edited by mr_1nfern0

would a better approach me to shorten the joins between the strips themselves, i.e. remove the connectors and splice the cables so the gap is approx the same as between the LEDs themselves?

Hi buddy.. lovely looking setup :) .. very clean....

i did exactly that! running over 60 Corsair Strips in my set up

http://i.imgur.com/6km2cHXl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Foi5JYdl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gWUvbTsl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UL00uWhl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GuzTvzg.jpg

the above was using LED strip Mounting Profile.

i have since gone on to using the Defusers from the LS100 kit on those joined up normal strips and i run my LS100 kit 'naked' on the back of my monitors..

as shown here

http://i.imgur.com/JiF2yqyl.jpg

Edited by Zotty

I cannot comment on alternative strips. TBH, I've not used or tried any. I have Corsair strips only on my build.

Dev Biker,

Question for you about LED Y splitters...

The CoPro offers 2 LED ports. Most of the stickies and threads on the subject seem to indicate that there's a limit of 1 fan hub (6 fans) per CoPro LED port. For a total of 12 fans per CoPro.

But in Zotty's 1000D setup, he has 32 fans plugged into one CoPro; 16 fans per CoPro LED port. Which seems contrary to a lot of what's written here (even stuff written by Zotty and you in stickies).

I know we cannot overload PWM ports. So I plan to emulate Zotty's use of PWM 8-way (or 10-way) hubs.

But I'm confused about being able to use the Y splitters you make (and sell) to combine multiple LED connections. Is it safe or are there some constraints to the LED channels (being ignored by Zotty)?

I'm about to order some extensions from you. But I also might need some Y splitters.

Thanks and sorry for the long question.

Great Guide, but I gotta ask, Where are you finding the molex connectors? Anybody got some links to some US based retailers that might have a kit with all the pins and housings included? Been frustrating having to cut and splice the few extensions I got with my various fans and controllers.

Dev Biker,

Question for you about LED Y splitters...

The CoPro offers 2 LED ports. Most of the stickies and threads on the subject seem to indicate that there's a limit of 1 fan hub (6 fans) per CoPro LED port. For a total of 12 fans per CoPro.

But in Zotty's 1000D setup, he has 32 fans plugged into one CoPro; 16 fans per CoPro LED port. Which seems contrary to a lot of what's written here (even stuff written by Zotty and you in stickies).

I know we cannot overload PWM ports. So I plan to emulate Zotty's use of PWM 8-way (or 10-way) hubs.

But I'm confused about being able to use the Y splitters you make (and sell) to combine multiple LED connections. Is it safe or are there some constraints to the LED channels (being ignored by Zotty)?

I'm about to order some extensions from you. But I also might need some Y splitters.

Thanks and sorry for the long question.

The RGB Fan LED Hubs have their own power source; they only get signal from the CoPro/NoPro Lighting Channel. So that can be split safely and without any danger.

Now, if you are splitting the channel into devices that do get power from the NoPro/CoPro Lighting Channel, then you do absolutely need to be aware of the power limitations.

Great Guide, but I gotta ask, Where are you finding the molex connectors? Anybody got some links to some US based retailers that might have a kit with all the pins and housings included? Been frustrating having to cut and splice the few extensions I got with my various fans and controllers.

DigiKey, Newark.

There aren't any kits available (I've considered offering them though) - with those sites you have to find the parts and add to the cart.

DigiKey, Newark.

There aren't any kits available (I've considered offering them though) - with those sites you have to find the parts and add to the cart.

The Locking connections are nice, but still, too bad they don't use the standard (and readily available) Dupont connectors. I've got hundreds of those lying around! :D:

Managed to find a bag of 30 Female ends (which is what I mainly need) on amazon for around $13. No luck finding the crimps there, however. On digikey, there's no indication as to how many crimps come per order. I assume you get 1 per, then (quantity of 1 yields 1 crimp so you would need 3 for each connector housing)? is that correct?

EDIT: Ok... so NVM... Just found a bag of 250 crimps on amazon for $77! :bigeyes: Guess I'll just order 100 from digikey and take my chances on how many I get! Lol

Edited by Metallikahn

At Digikey, they don't come as "kits" of any kind. It is per item.

If you want 100 crimps, then order 100 crimps.

If you want 100 housings, order 100 housings.

Amazon is OK for low volume. Typically, you get sets with different variations on the theme - a kit with 2 pin, 3 pin, 4 pin and 5 pin headers. That typically ends up (for me, at least) wasting a lot as I'll order several hundred at a time.

I know what you mean. I've got several of those kits lying around, but mainly for when an unexpected need arises. Then they are super handy. For one off or specific projects, then it's better to just order exactly what you need.

I grabbed a hundred of the pins ($15 shipped) to go with the 30 connectors I got on amazon. Should give me some wiggle room when I inevitably flub a crimp or 6! lol

Thanks for the help!

The RGB Fan LED Hubs have their own power source; they only get signal from the CoPro/NoPro Lighting Channel. So that can be split safely and without any danger.

Now, if you are splitting the channel into devices that do get power from the NoPro/CoPro Lighting Channel, then you do absolutely need to be aware of the power limitations.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I've been using Y splitters to combine PWM cables into the CoPro, and figured that as long as I stay below the published limits on the CoPro's PWM amperage capacities, that I'm okay doing that as well.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. Now I need to figure out the right lengths to order for extensions and splitters.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I've been using Y splitters to combine PWM cables into the CoPro, and figured that as long as I stay below the published limits on the CoPro's PWM amperage capacities, that I'm okay doing that as well.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. Now I need to figure out the right lengths to order for extensions and splitters.

On the CoPro ... we typically recommend no more than 2 on each header and 9-10 overall.

I need some help with RGB and Lightning node pro.

I want to make Table light via Lightning node pro and ws2812b led strip.

So I got 1.8m strip, connected it to lightning node pro and bought 5v 3a power supply. Changed it's header to SATA.

So, my strip is connected to LNP. Power supply connected to LNP. LNP connected to PC via MiniUSB (external uab port of my z390 Aorus Master mobo).

ICue can see LNP. Lightning works great.

I made 1 preset: static white for PC power off status. And connected power supply 5v to xiaomi power socket which I can power off from my phone.

And made 2 preset for power on PC.

So, everything works. BUT.

When PC is in power off status and xiaomi socket is powered off, so power supply of LNP is not working.

LED strip starts red blinking 1 time in 50 seconds.

If I disconnect USB from LNP led strip is not blinking.

But I want to use it as I said. So what can I do with that?

What goes wrong?

ErP in BIOS of mobo is enabled.

Other usb devices connected to mobo are not working.

So I think it's smth with LNP.

Please help me to find the truth!

Hi,

I am trying to connect an Ek block to the CM.

I know that the connector that goes to the Cm is Molex 50-57-9403 and Molex 16-02-0102 Female crimp connector. But on the other side of the cable which connector should I buy?

Thanks in advance

I need some help with RGB and Lightning node pro.

I want to make Table light via Lightning node pro and ws2812b led strip.

So I got 1.8m strip, connected it to lightning node pro and bought 5v 3a power supply. Changed it's header to SATA.

So, my strip is connected to LNP. Power supply connected to LNP. LNP connected to PC via MiniUSB (external uab port of my z390 Aorus Master mobo).

ICue can see LNP. Lightning works great.

I made 1 preset: static white for PC power off status. And connected power supply 5v to xiaomi power socket which I can power off from my phone.

And made 2 preset for power on PC.

So, everything works. BUT.

When PC is in power off status and xiaomi socket is powered off, so power supply of LNP is not working.

LED strip starts red blinking 1 time in 50 seconds.

If I disconnect USB from LNP led strip is not blinking.

But I want to use it as I said. So what can I do with that?

What goes wrong?

ErP in BIOS of mobo is enabled.

Other usb devices connected to mobo are not working.

So I think it's smth with LNP.

Please help me to find the truth!

That's odd. I've never, ever seen that behavior from an LNP. The USB isn't enough to power the LEDs - usually, at least.

Hi,

I am trying to connect an Ek block to the CM.

I know that the connector that goes to the Cm is Molex 50-57-9403 and Molex 16-02-0102 Female crimp connector. But on the other side of the cable which connector should I buy?

Thanks in advance

You can:

A) Get a 4-pin LED connector and take one wire off

B) Get a 3-pin LED extension and cut it up

C) Head over to PirateDog Tech and just buy one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-RGB-to-Aura-Mystic-Light-A-RGB-Adapter/372521827376

• 5 weeks later...

Fan Hub Connector

*Note: Only connect pins 2 & 3. Pin 1 should be disconnected. Pin 1 is marked on the female socket connector with an arrow

No code has to be inserted here.

hi

Does it cause a problem when it is 3?