Corsair Community

GA-8KNXP, 2x CMX512-3200C2PT Cannot Operate in Dual Channel Mode

ScottCampbell

Ram Guy and everyone, I just built a high end gaming system for my friend using the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP and two 512MB Corsair CMX-512-3200C2PT DDR DIMM modules. After ten hours of frustration in installing XP these are the known issues: 1. The system will run properly with any single DIMM module, or both populating only a single channel. The memory will not operate stably in any dual channel paired configuration. 2. In troubleshooting the problem I checked the motherboard BIOS version, it came with the latest official release BIOS from Gigabyte F5. After some research on various hardware forums I've found links for the F6A BIOS. 3. F6A BIOS with manufacturer recommended timings: DRAM Clock: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T Still will not operate in dual channel mode. I've seen the link for the F6E BIOS and I'll try to give that a try tonight. However this leads to my question. Question: Do you have a recommendation for two 512MB Corsair memory modules that will work in dual mode for this board? I could buy the TwinX or even a different module pair altogether, the only concern is it should operate rock stable in dual mode. Ram Guy I hope you have some suggestions, I've bought Corsair for years for high end systems to avoid exactly these types of problems. Any guidance is welcome.

Updated to BIOS F6E with recommended DIMM module timings still will not operate in dual mode, although both populating a single channel works as before. Recommendations on how to proceed welcome, I'm thinking of returning the CMX512-3200C2PT DIMMS and getting the TWINX package. Also considering 3500 or 3700 whatever runs in dual channel mode stably.

Thanks for the reply, actually I'm far too familiar with this boards memory architecture now :) It has 6 slots for memory, Channel A slots 1,2,3 & Channel B slots 4,5,6 If you populate with the same memory modules in pairs in slots 1,4 the system boots and tells you its operating in Dual Channel Memory Mode. If you populate the slots in only a single channel, like 1 & 3 the system boots and tells you its operating in Single Channel Memory Mode. So far a single 512MB module works fine, both modules in a single channel (A) works fine, any configuration for dual memory fails. Just got off the phone with Newegg.com, I ordered a twin, matched pair of the Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT hoping it works. If not I'll return the whole misbegotten mess and try Kingston or some other brand.

• Corsair Employee
We are sorry you are having trouble with our memory, Or we will be happy to replace them if you have trouble, Also I would suggest the latest bios as well. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmicro.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmicro.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

• 2 months later...

Archived