Corsair Community

DukeBannon

Hello,

I'm going to swap out my Kraken X62 for one of the H115i or H150i models and sound level is my primary concern. I believe any of these coolers will cool my system sufficiently and while RGB lighting is a nice, it is not a requirement. Which model do you recommend and why? My system is Ryzen 9 3900X on an ASUS Prime X570 MB, 64GB Corsair Dominator memory, RTX 2080, and two Samsung EVO Plus SSDs all in a Phanteks Ethroo Evolv case.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

On a 3900x you won't see to much performance difference. Both coolers can handle that wattage. It really comes down to 1) best fit for your case; and 2) whether you have a preference for 120mm or 140mm fans. I really like 140s and find them less buzzy than your typical 120mm. However, on radiators it becomes a questions which is quieter.. 3x120 at 1200 rpm? Or 2x140 at 950 rpm? It's kind of a toss up in most instances if you don't already have a ready answer. That brings it back to what fits in your case the best.

In terms of maximal cooling, both will be more or less the same. The 360mm may offer very slightly better cooling at the lower speeds, but we are talking about 1-2C at most, so it still hinges upon best fit.

C-attack,

Thanks for your quick reply. The two SSDs in my new build are running hot (60c +/- 10c) and one of the significant changes between this and the previous system is moving the Kraken cooler to the front of the system because there wasn’t sufficient clearance for it and my Dominator Vengence memory. I can put a 2*140mm or 3*120mm radiator in the top or front so I’m actually leaning towards the H150i on the top and move the ML 140s back to the front. I just didn’t want to pursue that if the sound of H150i was going to be louder than what I am used to.

I think that makes sense and trying a 360mm after a 280mm is a good opportunity to make comparisons. The H150i will not be louder than the H115i and you will have full software control over the fans. There is nothing wrong with locking them at comfortable speed. You don't have to use the presets.