Corsair Community

Xenoxi

Hi I bought last week the h115i and got it setup a few days ago the first day was fine but now it's starting to make strange noises which get worse after 5 minutes gaming I made 2 videos demonstrating the sounds before and after gaming at quiet/balanced/extreme

when I just turned pc on:[ame=

]
[/ame]

After 5 minutes gaming

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Is this normal will it settle itself or is something wrong. Considering going back to air cooling :(

Edit: I have tested all other components (turned all fans off and changed graphics cards) to make sure the noise is not coming from them this is definitely from the pump

Edited by Xenoxi

This has me so confuzzled so I left it running for an hour on extreme and it was fine apart from the sound of the pump fan spinning which is normal, temps spiking up and down between 40-50 which I think is normal for Ryzen 3800x. Soon as I pop open a game the temp stabalizes at 49c and stops spiking up and down. BUT the noise from the second video reappears. This has my brain in bits.

The low 'gurgle' on the slowest speed is consistent with other user reports on the Platinum/XT series. Most other users report the noise as noticeable at quiet 2000 rpm, but not preset at the Performance and Extreme settings. The operating theory was these users have an air bubble in the pump/block area and the Quiet speed does not create enough pressure to cleanly get past it or push it through. My general recommendation has been to try and tilt the case and move the bubble elsewhere. If your radiator is front mounted, that means lifting up the front end of the case to make the radiator in/out higher than the pump/block. This is usually less of an issue with top mount, but you would also lift the front if the tubes go to the front side. If your radiator is orientated with tubes to the back, then you would lift the back. Results can be hit or miss and you won't be able to see what's going on. If nothing else, it is general indicator of the problem. If the noise changes while tilting, you know it is some type of air/pressure issue like a bubble. An electric or mechanical problem would not be affected by orientation.

As for the temperature behavior, I would say that is normal. Like all the recent CPUs, idle behavior is pretty active with constant voltage and clock fluctuations. The changing CPU temps likely correspond to changes in applied Vcore in that instant. When you start the game, it recognizes you have something going on and stops trying to downclock and drop voltage. The voltage stays at an even level and thus so do the temps.

The low 'gurgle' on the slowest speed is consistent with other user reports on the Platinum/XT series. Most other users report the noise as noticeable at quiet 2000 rpm, but not preset at the Performance and Extreme settings. The operating theory was these users have an air bubble in the pump/block area and the Quiet speed does not create enough pressure to cleanly get past it or push it through. My general recommendation has been to try and tilt the case and move the bubble elsewhere. If your radiator is front mounted, that means lifting up the front end of the case to make the radiator in/out higher than the pump/block. This is usually less of an issue with top mount, but you would also lift the front if the tubes go to the front side. If your radiator is orientated with tubes to the back, then you would lift the back. Results can be hit or miss and you won't be able to see what's going on. If nothing else, it is general indicator of the problem. If the noise changes while tilting, you know it is some type of air/pressure issue like a bubble. An electric or mechanical problem would not be affected by orientation.

As for the temperature behavior, I would say that is normal. Like all the recent CPUs, idle behavior is pretty active with constant voltage and clock fluctuations. The changing CPU temps likely correspond to changes in applied Vcore in that instant. When you start the game, it recognizes you have something going on and stops trying to downclock and drop voltage. The voltage stays at an even level and thus so do the temps.

Yeah the temps are fine imo. The radiator is on the top of the pc with the tubes at the front. Tilting it does not seem to effect it. What gets me is that I can leave extreme running for an hour idle and no noise but as soon as I load up something hefty like a game that rattling starts. And even if u disable all fans so the pump is the only thing running it still persists so imo has to be the pump.

I am certain it is the pump. What you'd like to able to discern is whether it's a bubble (user treatable and can happen on any unit) or if it's mechanical/electrical (not user treatable and requires replacement).

Typically with mechanical or electrical problems, the noise gets worse as the speed increases - not better. The unusual 'loud on quiet, not so bad on extreme" matches other users with this issue on this specific unit. For most of them, the Balanced setting doesn't have the extra sound effect and solves the issue. That is usable for most on daily basis. Not sure I can say the same for extreme and quiet desk work. From this end, it seems like the bubble issue. You can try tilting the case back (rear panel side) as well. Unfortunately with covered blocks it's a blind guessing game. You may have more luck if you up the pump speed to Extreme before the tilt to try and force the air out of that area.