Corsair Community

9 ML120 rgb, 3 ML120 non rgb, H150i push/pull - wiring conundrum

Wcarthurii

Hello all!

I've just transplanted my PC into a Lian Li 011D xl.

In doing such, I got fan happy.

I updated my cooling solution to an H150i pro.

I used my non rgb fans in a pull config on the top of the rad, then 3 rgb in push. (managed to mount on top!!!)

I then mounted 3 in pull config at the side and bottom.

My main issue is wiring this bad boy.

Clearly the H150 wants to power the non rgb fans.

I just don't know what to do to power the remainder.

I suppose the software doesn't care if it's plugged into the H150, or a Commander Pro, in regards to rgb or general software control, right?

With a Commander I can power 6 fans total?

Possible to use a pwm splitter cable?

Safe to do this with the H150 and forgo the Commander all together?

One thread I found showed using 2 pwm repeaters off of the H150 and NO Commander.

Another showed a Commander powering 9 fans and the H150 powering 3, with 2 rgb controllers. (This was the first I found and based my build on)

There are 0 local pwm repeaters and will be Saturday before delivery.

I already own the pwm splitter cables and the Commander (unopened).

I'm going stir crazy and want to get this beast going today, but do not want to fry my Mobo or H150 trying to pull too much current.

Update: so after further research and applying some logic, I'm seeing the Commander as exactly a pwm repeater, but with led strip and temp sensor ports. Amirite?

The X99-E has a high amp fan output, so if these fans are only .225a each, I could effectively Daisy chain 4x 1 to 3 pwm splitters, giving me access to 9 pwm connections to power the rgb fans, then plug my 3 non rgb fans into the H150, then the rgb controllers into a single lighting node and eliminate my need for the Commander AND PWM repeaters?

Thanks for reading and/or input!

Well, we got there.

All my fan headers support pwm. I was able to run one splitter on each header (CPU, opt_cpu, chassis) and plug the h150 pump into the available water pump header. Everything spins at max speed without blowing up so far. So looks like we didn't need a consider or pwm repeater. This is not going to be the case for every Mobo though.

I'm now trying to figure out why the RGB is not lit. The lighting node isn't recognized by iCue. Definitely have plenty of sata power on that psu to cover it. Assuming the lighting node is bad or possibly an rgb controller?

Will update in the AM.

Edited by Wcarthurii
Add updates

Hello all!

I've just transplanted my PC into a Lian Li 011D xl.

In doing such, I got fan happy.

I updated my cooling solution to an H150i pro.

I used my non rgb fans in a pull config on the top of the rad, then 3 rgb in push. (managed to mount on top!!!)

I then mounted 3 in pull config at the side and bottom.

My main issue is wiring this bad boy.

Great case choice!!

One of the best cases I've ever had, even if it's not exempt from defects.

I'm currently trying the AIO on the top, but I'm not so sure it's the best solution... for sure it is for covering all the cables that come towards the mobo.

By the way, witing is quite difficult but not impossible:

DSC-3358.jpg

Clearly the H150 wants to power the non rgb fans.

I just don't know what to do to power the remainder.

I suppose the software doesn't care if it's plugged into the H150, or a Commander Pro, in regards to rgb or general software control, right?

With a Commander I can power 6 fans total?

Possible to use a pwm splitter cable?

Safe to do this with the H150 and forgo the Commander all together?

One thread I found showed using 2 pwm repeaters off of the H150 and NO Commander.

Well, I'm not sure if connecting more than 3 fans to the AIO works, but I read you already have a Commander Pro, so why not using it?

It will give you many more control and possibilities, especially connecting the 4 T sensors, it's simply the core of any Corsair-based rig.

Another showed a Commander powering 9 fans and the H150 powering 3, with 2 rgb controllers. (This was the first I found and based my build on)

Hey, maybe it's me?? :biggrin:

Remember to use only Y splitters for connecting fans to the CoPro, 3 ways splitters could bring you to ask too much power to the Copro, the risk is to burn a port.

I've ordered one of this:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0067LWQ1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It powers the fans directly from the PSU, so it should allow me to control a 3 fans group plugging the cable into a single port of the CoPro.

As soon as it arrives, I'll update my thread.

There are 0 local pwm repeaters and will be Saturday before delivery.

I already own the pwm splitter cables and the Commander (unopened).

I'm going stir crazy and want to get this beast going today, but do not want to fry my Mobo or H150 trying to pull too much current.

So you're answering your question... go with the CoPro!

Spaces are narrow but it can be done.

Update: so after further research and applying some logic, I'm seeing the Commander as exactly a pwm repeater, but with led strip and temp sensor ports. Amirite?

The X99-E has a high amp fan output, so if these fans are only .225a each, I could effectively Daisy chain 4x 1 to 3 pwm splitters, giving me access to 9 pwm connections to power the rgb fans, then plug my 3 non rgb fans into the H150, then the rgb controllers into a single lighting node and eliminate my need for the Commander AND PWM repeaters?

Thanks for reading and/or input!

Well, we got there.

All my fan headers support pwm. I was able to run one splitter on each header (CPU, opt_cpu, chassis) and plug the h150 pump into the available water pump header. Everything spins at max speed without blowing up so far. So looks like we didn't need a consider or pwm repeater. This is not going to be the case for every Mobo though.

I'm now trying to figure out why the RGB is not lit. The lighting node isn't recognized by iCue. Definitely have plenty of sata power on that psu to cover it. Assuming the lighting node is bad or possibly an rgb controller?

Will update in the AM.

Do you use Y SATA splitter to power Corsair's stuff?

If so, get rid of them and plug SATA headers directly to the PSU.

Try also changing the mobo's USB header.

Baio

The Commander Pro is certainly more than a PWM repeater. It is independent control for 6 fan ports across a huge number of control variables, plus 4 10K thermistors for air or coolant temp monitoring, plus its secondary feature as a Lighting Controller. You may or may not want a PWM repeater to aid in control while taking current load off a controller, but you may also be able to achieve the end goal with ordinary PWM splitters.

H150i Pro - has three independent PWM fan connections. For push-pull on this, you could do 3 x 2-way splitters (possibly pairing front and back pairs rather than 3-fan sides). If you wanted to keep the sides independent, you could try a pair of 3 way splitters for front/back, but 3 way splitter behavior can be a bit hit or miss. The good news is the current draw on ML fans is pretty low, so you don't really need to off-load it onto the PWM repeater for this. I recommend you try to keep the H150i's push/pull sets on the H150i controller. It is possible to run them from the Commander Pro, but it will separate the fans from their native control source (coolant temp) when the software isn't running and at boot/shutdown. Also, you will need your C-Pro fan ports elsewhere.

That leaves 6 remaining fans and 6 ports for the Commander Pro. You can use splitters from the Commander ports as well, but like the above we recommend limiting it to two way splitters.

I don't see the need for a PWM powered splitter for you yet. You are going to have at least 4 SATA power connections in play (C-Pro, H150i, 2 RGB Lighting Hubs), so you may not want more without reason. I am building in the same case, with the same 12 fans, but will need to use one because I don't have the H150's controller to eat up 6 fans. I have a custom loop for the CPU + GPU and need to make this work off one Commander Pro. That requires the PWM splitter and it will take one control port from the C-Pro and then take care of 6 fans on the one push-pull rad.

As for the Commander vs Motherboard control, you are already going to be running the iCUE software for lighting and H150i control. You might as well pull the other 6 case fans into that control scheme. Without it, you will need a Lighting Node Pro to act as a lighting controller (1 SATA). You might as well use the C-Pro that is LNP + fan controller and get off the BIOS controls. The desktop software control will offer you real time adjustments and more precise control, something you may want in a case with 12 fans.

Ty for the replies guys!

Baio,

Your back of case looks so much cleaner than mine, but I'm assuming it's due to your psu cables. Looks nice!

I see your cases rgb controller is still in there but upside down. What is it's situation? Are you using it just to run that front led strip?

In regards to sata power questions:

No, I'm not using splitters. I'm powering the 2 rgb controllers and an SSD on one psu cable with 3 sata connectors.

Another PSU cable is powering the lighting node and the h150.

Tried swapping USB headers... No change.

Ty for the replies guys!

Baio,

Your back of case looks so much cleaner than mine, but I'm assuming it's due to your psu cables. Looks nice!

Thanks!

I've spent a lot of time in trying to arrange the cables the best I can to save space... and now I'm gonna throw it all away to see if I can add a 10th LL fan!

I see your cases rgb controller is still in there but upside down. What is it's situation? Are you using it just to run that front led strip?

I've unscrewed it form the bottom of the case so I can arrange it where I want, especially depending on the radiator position.

Yes, I've connected its RGB cable to a mobo header and synch it with RAM.

In regards to sata power questions:

No, I'm not using splitters. I'm powering the 2 rgb controllers and an SSD on one psu cable with 3 sata connectors.

Another PSU cable is powering the lighting node and the h150.

Tried swapping USB headers... No change.

So the last idea I can give you is to do a repair installation of iCUE (not a uninstallation/reinstallation) to see if the LNP pops up.

Baio

• 2 weeks later...