Corsair Community

Keyboard lights freezing, lighting timings fubarred, system tray icon problems

Parmenedes

Hi,

Long-time Corsair fan here. I have a ton of Corsair devices/hardware and use iCue extensively to manage them and monitor temps, and I'm having a few problems.

1) At least once per day, I have to exit iCue because the lighting on my keyboard (K95 platinum XT) freezes. The lights stay on (as opposed to turning off altogether), but they just get stuck (for instance, in the middle of a rainbow wave or whatever they're currently set to) and won't change (turn on or off, change color, use type lighting effects, or continue a wave pattern for instance) anymore. I have a ticket open that seems to be taking forever to move forward, so I thought I'd ask here about it. None of my other devices are affected by this. Even type lighting works fine on the other stuff, (for instance, a ripple effect runs through all the devices that I have it set up for when I press a key or mouse button) but the lighting on the keyboard just stays completely frozen. I've tried unplugging/plugging the keyboard back in, setting up a new lighting effect in iCue, "Restarting iCue Service" from the button in settings, and uninstalling/reinstalling iCue. The only things that fix it is either rebooting windows altogether or exiting iCue via the icon in the system tray and reopening it, something that has been annoying but at least relatively doable until recently, when another issue popped up, namely:

2) The menu that comes up when you right-click the icon in the system tray now gets cut off, and the option to exit iCue is no longer accessible. To clarify, I have a dual monitor setup, and it's always been a minor annoyance that whenever I right click the iCue icon in the system tray (which is on my second monitor, positioned to the right of my primary monitor), instead of opening a small menu right there (like every other icon I've ever used in my system tray), it opens it at the center-bottom of the screen of my primary monitor. Now, however, the small menu that gets opened has for some reason started opening too far down, such that the only options that are clickable are the top two, and the rest get cut off below the screen. There does not appear to be a way to move that small menu, and I have not found any other way from within the software to exit iCue. If I click the X in the upper right corner of the iCue window, the software simply disappears while still running, and I can understand why it does that, but there isn't a menu or button within the main iCue window that I've found that lets me exit the software, and now the system tray icon menu won't let me do it either due to that menu getting cut off at the bottom of the monitor. The end result of this is that now a couple of times a day (at least), I have to end all the corsair processes from within the task manager (some of which keep restarting themselves after I end them) just to re-open iCue so I can get my keyboard lights working again.

To make matters worse, whenever I try to create my own lighting effects, the timings get fubarred while I'm creating them, and I end up having to exit iCue and restart to get them to work as well. For instance, I recently got some dominator platinum rgb ram, and I wanted to create a rainbow wave effect, which for some reason (unless I'm missing something) we have to do by creating 8 or more separate gradient effects since a wave effect doesn't loop continuously (which in my opinion is how it should work). This means that each gradient has to be properly synchronized to get the desired wave effect, but when I create them, they tend to not be synchronized initially. I have to exit iCue when I think I'm done creating the effect and then restart it so that they are properly synchronized. This in itself seems like a problem (or really two problems, one being the timings not synchronizing and the other being that making a wave loop continuously should be doable by creating one wave instead of 8 gradients), and it's exacerbated by not being able to easily exit iCue.

3) My last problem is that the g keys on my k95 periodically stop functioning. I'm not sure what causes this, and it appears on the surface at least to be unrelated to the above problem, as the lights freezing and the g keys not working occur separately from each other. When the g keys stop working, they won't function in any game, software, or app, including notepad. The only way I've found to fix this is to restart windows altogether.

So my questions are:

1) Is there a way to make the menu from right clicking the system tray icon appear next to the system tray icon? If not, please add this to a future update.

2) Is there some other way from within iCue to exit iCue? If not, again this would be nice to add in a future update.

3) How can I stop my keyboard's lights from freezing up? I have put a lot of time into lighting effects and action profiles, so I'm hoping there is a solution that won't erase all that stuff, but if one is offered that would have that as a consequence, I'd appreciate knowing ahead of time that that's what I'll be dealing with so that I'm not taken by surprise, and ideally given a way to back that stuff up.

4) How can I prevent my g keys from malfunctioning? Again, hopefully without erasing my profiles (see question 3).

I've attached a screenshot so you can see the system tray menu being cut off and can include any logs if needs be. My thanks to anyone willing to help out with this.

1705244803_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.3daccca31ef718c4148f2dd82f6a1174.png

Edited by Parmenedes

• 2 months later...
i'm having this exact same problem on my Win10 machine. it occurs when my monitor automatically turns off for power saving. disabling and enabling the "SDK" option fixes the problem temporarily, but it reoccurs when the monitor turns off again from power saving. Edited by fightinfilipino

• 2 months later...