Corsair Community

Anyone have a P6T-SE and 3x4Gb ?

subwayrocket

I have a P6Tse/980X , my DAW ...I know its a few years old but for my audio work its completely adequate still. I started doing a little editing of personal GoPro footage and id like to upgrade the memory.

I'd like to swap out my 3x2Gb kit for a 3x4Gb kit, after reading alot of threads it seems more people have had success with Corsair 12Gb kits in P6T-Se boards.

Right now I have a 3x2 6Gb kit of mushkin blackline (998681) that runs at 1600 in this system. Im on bios 908, the latest for the p6tse. I recently bought a 3x4 12Gb kit of Mushkin stealth ddr3 pc3-12800 999-24 ( kit# 998995s) and it wont boot. I tried all the usual suggested bios resets, troubleshooting with no luck. I put the 3x2 back in and it works fine.

If anyone has a Corsair 3x4Gb 12 Gb kit running in a p6Tse can you reply with the model number that works either out of the box or with the least amount of hassle. If I need to change some settings can you post what they are and what values i should set ? Plan is to use just 3x4Gb sticks and not use the old ones.

I'm thinking about ordering this 12 Gb kit, CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 . Yes/no ?

Thanks a bunch in advance. ...

Your 998995s are probably single sided and use some modern 4gbit IC that could have compatibility issues with (some) LGA1366/X58 mainboards. I don't know what type of IC Mushkin used on your kit and why they switched to those, but you obviously need to find something else. I can't say for sure if CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 will work, but they were designed specifically for X58 and are a somewhat older kit, so there is a good chance at least (even more so if you get older stock).

Your 998995s are probably single sided and use some modern 4gbit IC that could have compatibility issues with (some) LGA1366/X58 mainboards. I don't know what type of IC Mushkin used on your kit and why they switched to those, but you obviously need to find something else. I can't say for sure if CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 will work, but they were designed specifically for X58 and are a somewhat older kit, so there is a good chance at least (even more so if you get older stock).

Thanks bud. Appreciate it. Cant remem having such a hard time with ram over all the.different computers ive built or freshened up. Seems it was a pretty common prob in the whe x58 line . Good was to keep people buying new...lol

http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=19200

looking back at the pics I took, this recognized ram dropped from 6Gb to 4Gb right after I installed the 980X . I'm pretty careful installing cpu's and haven't ever done one wrong since installing them as far back as 440BX SuperMicro boards ... first time for everything I guess ...I'm gonna try loosen the cpu cooler backplate and mounts a bit . I didnt honk them down to begin with ... If this doesnt work, I may re-install the 920 and see if the 1st two dimm slots start working again. It's A2 A2 , the first pair of black and orange closest the cpu that I cant get ram to recognize in ... Thanks guys for posting advice !

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y534/avocasingletrack/920_6gbRam_zps5fb70918.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y534/avocasingletrack/980X_4GbRam_zps2d94187e.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

Tried all this , no difference . Just for the heck of it I did a test video render with just one stick of 2Gb in the second pair of slots (B2) ....this test tool 3min 50sec to render with the 980X and all three 2Gb sticks in the orange slots .........now with just one 2Gb stick in slot B2 (the middle orange slot) the exact same render tool 3min 56sec to render ...seems it's mostly cpu dependant , I don't know if this is because it's only a small video edit test project but I would have thought rendering with only 2Gb would have slowed it more.

-----------------------------------

Lastly I tried all the 2Gb dims (the old ones that are recognized) and populated slots B1 B2 and C1 ---->boom , all 6Gb is recognized , obviously not in triple channel ...... then I tried another 2Gb stick of ddr3 I had laying around in slot C2 .....all 8Gb are recognized , weird because according to the asus manual you have to first populate the A , B and C slots ... I'm at a loss , just gonna call it a day and use what I have , being that it rendered at nearly the same speed with only 2Gb installed. guess i'll just deal with it til I upgrade to X99 probably around fall .

Archived