Corsair Community

K63 caps and scroll lock indicators often don't work

pegnose

@Corsair: I have found so many threads all over the internet with this report. And now I have the same issue. FIX THIS.

EDIT: Win10 64bit, CUE v2.24.50

Seems to occur after hibernation in my case, if during hibernation I disconnected power on my PC (not sure if that is a necessary condition). So far it only occurs if the CUE software is actually running. If not running, the keyboard works fine. If the error occurs, CUE can't detect my keyboard at all, battery indicator disappears as well.

Nope, does also happen if the software is not running.

For F***s sake, can I have an official say something to this?

If you buy a brand new and expensive device today, it is not the question whether it is buggy, but only which part.

I don't want to try another software. I just got used to CUE and it does all I want. I don't need a funky Christmas tree sync tool, because I don't have other Corsair products.

I also highly doubt that it has anything to do with the software, because the problem also occurs if CUE is not running.

Why are you pulling the plug from the wall in hibernate mode? While that may save a copy of your current OS state before the entering hibernation, there still are consequences to severing the power. Hibernate does nothing for physical devices and hardware. Are you using the K63 with a laptop?

It seems that today the thing happened without hibernation/switching my PC off.

Also, I would much rather not discuss, how I handle my hardware. And though I am trying to help by narrowing down external (to the problem) factors, I believe it does not really affect the base issue (hardware/firmware instability) which is described by many other people on the internet.

But because I am nice, I am telling you. I have an open setup on a bench table with the typical LED stuff, e.g. on the mainboard. Sometimes I like this, sometimes I don't. In the latter cases, I switch off my PC completely via the switch on the power supply. This also might protect me against power spikes on the net, and so I am doing this particularly if I am leaving my home.

And now I would prefer not to receive any more questions or suggestions regarding my habits like...

- use another software (why, this CUE thing got recommended on the download page for my keyboard)

- don't switch my PC completely off

- enabling ErP in the BIOS

- and whatnot

This keyboard, and others from Corsair, obviously keep having this issue. Which is kind of annoying. I would like Corsair to fix it. Because otherwise the K63 is pretty neat and I would like to keep it.

You need to initiate a warranty style of response as at least they will overlook 'a bit of attitude' whereas an open community that is more geared towards helping is pretty antsy about that stuff. Yep, your stuff.

iCUE is all I have used, and you can turn on some pretty natty diagnostics in there. I have no interest in Christmas tree coordination either...! Just went for latest version and all good!

You need to initiate a warranty style of response as at least they will overlook 'a bit of attitude' whereas an open community that is more geared towards helping is pretty antsy about that stuff. Yep, your stuff.

You mean RMA? Not quite grasping the meaning of your words.

I will RMA, they will send me a new one, and it will have the same issue.

iCUE is all I have used, and you can turn on some pretty natty diagnostics in there. I have no interest in Christmas tree coordination either...! Just went for latest version and all good!

Won't do anything, as the disconnect also occurs if the software is not running. Looked for a background service that is crashing, nothing. There is no Corsair software running on my system when the issue appears. So a software update won't fix anything. Because it works fine for hours, and then it doesn't. It is either a driver, or a firmware thing. Still, if an official tells me that this is a know issue with CUE (vs. iCUE), because the drivers coming with the bundle are bugged or for whatever reason, I would still give it a try. But it seems to me that Corsair does not give a flying fart about this. Google "caps lock indicator/led" together with "Corsair", and you'll see for yourself. In none of these threads there is any solution.

EDIT: My Attitude clearly is not directed at anyone from the community. If it came across that way, I apologize.

With one exception: Guys that tell me to change my habits when I am acting well within specs/purpose of application (Windows drivers should be able to deal with power saving; a keyboard should display caps lock state if it has such an indicator). Like "Oh, you want this? just want something else, and you are fine". Nobody likes those guys in communities. It's like saying: "Oh, you have this issue? I don't." I am pretty antsy about that kind of stuff.

Hey Peg, I get all that. Not RMA, I was referring to a support ticket with Corsair.

Just remember nobody is here to serve you, nor deal with your thoughts, beliefs or desires. You only want one thing - useful assistance. What you get back will be all over the place, but anyone that may have the answer will stop reading where they see 'stubborn belligerence' has reared its undelightful head. Despite that (I believe) you didn't mean it, that is the look portrayed. It is so hard not to be cheesed off at this stuff eh?

I recently decided to fix an issue with screens being messed up on return from sleep / hibernate. And yep, I could Google it and find a gazillion 'can't be fixed' style of responses. But it irked me so I pushed through and found a clue in a forum that lead me to change a registry setting and the problem vanished. I figured out an easier way to do what I did and posted it so others with this malaise might find it via the big G.

Bit of a rant eh, and no use at all. If what you are doing doesn't work, controlled changes is the way to go. Getting in the queue with Corsair support and taking your chances there is the most practical path as you seem to have no tolerance for, eek, potential habit changing 'shots in the dark'!

Humor, anything that reads 'the wrong way' is meant to be light-hearted entertainment!

Hey Peg, I get all that. Not RMA, I was referring to a support ticket with Corsair.

Just remember nobody is here to serve you, nor deal with your thoughts, beliefs or desires.

As a customer, Corsair support is there to serve me. That is what I want. If from your experience you say that I won't get this here, fine. Otherwise please show me where I demandend the community to serve me. I believe this will be quite hard.

You only want one thing - useful assistance. What you get back will be all over the place, but anyone that may have the answer will stop reading where they see 'stubborn belligerence' has reared its undelightful head.

Although poetic, I highly suggest not insulting me.

Despite that (I believe) you didn't mean it, that is the look portrayed. It is so hard not to be cheesed off at this stuff eh?

We are all free individuals.

I recently decided to fix an issue with screens being messed up on return from sleep / hibernate. And yep, I could Google it and find a gazillion 'can't be fixed' style of responses. But it irked me so I pushed through and found a clue in a forum that lead me to change a registry setting and the problem vanished. I figured out an easier way to do what I did and posted it so others with this malaise might find it via the big G.

I admire you.

Bit of a rant eh, and no use at all. If what you are doing doesn't work, controlled changes is the way to go. Getting in the queue with Corsair support and taking your chances there is the most practical path as you seem to have no tolerance for, eek, potential habit changing 'shots in the dark'!

I think you don't understand why I am posting here. I want to publicly state that Corsair does not fix this issue. I think, I did. Of course it would be great, if someone here actually had a solution. But I highly doubt that. It would be somewhere on the internet then.

Also I am not willing to invest any more time on a mere guess-work basis. I did that already, enough. I bought a new product for a lot of money, only to see that it has the same issue as many other Corsair keyboard, and that this issue has not been fixed yet. And will very likely be never fixed, because Corsair moved on. Which is fine. I mean, they got my money now, right?

1) CUE and iCUE is the same application, just that iCUE is the newer revision. In fact, if you check for updates through CUE, it will offer iCUE. It's not a good idea to preconceive what an application is without testing it first.

2) The indicators not displaying properly is a driver issue, and often fixed by unplugging, waiting, and putting back in. It could also be the result of the firmware installed having some corrupt data in their equivalent to a CMOS, and simply needs a factory reset to clear the values.

3) Is this a wired K63, or wireless?

Apophis3, thank you for the clear cut info and questions.

Yes, iCUE is the newer version. But the important question is: does it come with updated drivers, or are the drivers the same?

As there are no services running, and the issue occurs even if CUE is not running, this should be a driver issue. Or firmware, of course. Unplugging and replugging did not help so far. How long would you suggest I wait?

I have recently updated, and after that even force-flashed (in case something went wrong), the firmware. This did not change anything, either.

It is the wireless version.

Currently, I have the impression that even running CUE temporarily (manual startup, shutting it down before the next hibernation) will lead to the misbehavior of the indicators. Because I did not run it for a while now and so far the indicators work even after hibernation and complete power cut.

iCUE does have drivers for your hardware, so yes they get updated.

When dealing with hibernation/sleep, this can cause issues with the driver not reinitializing properly, especially when using the dongles. (My Dark Core mouse just went nutzy sending the cursor to upper left constantly after awakening. Pulled dongle, wait 5 secs (you want Windows a chance to update itself with the hardware change), then reinserted the dongle fixed the issue.) My K63 Wireless stopped reporting battery status after waking, but unplugging/wait5/reinsert the dongle fixed that.

Mind you, these issues never occur when I used BlueTooth connections, or wired, so I think either the driver is not resetting properly, or the dongle isn't resetting properly, which would be a firmware issue. Unplugging/reinserting the dongle would of course reinitialize it.

If you want to try a factory reset, instead of reflashing, power down the kb, hold down the lock key (next to the indicators) and then power the kb on while still holding it.

The question is: are the drivers of a newer version. Not necessarily.

I'll give the 5 s wait a try next time the issue occurs. Maybe I can even provoke it.

I'll also try a reset, for whatever it's worth.

Thank you, I'll report back.

Right after my last posting I had reset the keyboard (it is ESC, not FN). The lock indicators worked fine after that for quite some time, despite the usual hibernation plus power cut. I was prepared to apologize to the world for my unjustified raging. Luckily, I didn't.

Because today after waking my PC up from hibernation the problem reoccurred (lock indicators offline, connection to the software lost). This time I waited ~10 seconds between un- and re-plugging the USB receiver. This time it worked.

So basically...

- the problem was not solved by the reset, but somewhat alleviated, it seems

- waiting long enough helps with the USB receiver reconnect

- maybe it is some sort of race condition during the boot sequence which determines whether everything goes fine or not

And then I realized something else..

AGAIN I AM DOING CORSAIRS ****ING JOB! SPENDING ****ING HOURS ON THE DIAGNOSIS THEY SHOULD BE DOING RIGHT NOW!

But they are smart, having this forum, letting all of us little idiots work for free. They are so smart. Greedy bastards.

Waiting the extended amout of time allows Windows to update internally on the status of USB attachments, as it loads and changes registry entries and loads/unloads drivers, all hitting the OS drive it's installed on. Microsoft's OS isn't fast enough for your tastes.

Also, do you have Fast Boot enabled on your machine? If so, disable it pronto, as that is known to cause driver issues. IIRC this will probably also disable Hibernation, which is also a thing not necessary for machines using SSDs. Sleep works just fine.

If this isn't an option for you, and you must use Hibernation, then direct your anger at Microsoft where it belongs.

This literally is the only device of mine that needs an extended waiting period for updating USB driver status. My PC is not really slow, you know.

And of course I have fast boot disabled.

And no, disabling fast boot _does not_ disable hibernation.

And please don't tell me how to use my PC. How often do I have to say this? Thank you very much.

No other device of mine has an issue with hibernation. It is a common power saving issue. And drivers not supporting hibernation properly... are buggy. Again, thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

Did I already mention that, if I try to enter my password on windows logon and I haven't pressed another key before, the password always turns out to be wrong?

On first use after power-up I literally have to press another key before being able to enter my password correctly. Ridiculous. This is such a dumb product.

I had my indicator lights freezing for months and could not figure it out. I tried every possible troubleshoot I could think of. I even went as far as swapping a motherboard into my new PC and it did not work.

The issue is related to when CUE is running. Any kind of dynamic lighting the indicator lights freeze. I got sick of this, got a refund on the keyboard and never looked back.

Archived