Corsair Community

Received a new AX860 today and now its dead

TAZ007_

Hello, i got my New psu from Ebuyer today, its an AX860, after taking my time installing it i got it up and running, two hours in and just browsing the internet and playing some tunes it just went BANG, not what i expect from a £150 plus PSU, i have had my OCZ 750W bronze 80 cert for just over a year now and no problems to report, there was a high pitch noise on th AX860 when powered up, but it was not loud or annoying and once pc running could not hear it at all, anyone else had such bad luck?

This sounds familiar, though may not be the case at all. I got a high pitched noise once when starting a build for the first time and quickly powered off. Visual inspection revealed that I had neglected to supply the video card with supplemental power through a dedicated cable from the PSU and the motherboard was screaming for its life. Got the cable, plugged it in and all's well. Incorrect routing of power can have all manner of bad things happen to integrated equipment.

Wish this was the case Speed, but dont see how you can connect it up wrong, the only thing i do forget to connect is the DX2 sound card, but then i just get a msg saying so, this was all up and running for two hours and did not get to play any games, got surge protection too, just a case of bad luck im thinking

P.S Advice needed on the RMA front, at this moment im still waiting for a response from Ebuyer.com as its in the first 28 days, am i better off sending it back to Ebuyer or Corsiar, not bother about time as i have another PSU, just want the cheapest and more important the best option?

.S Advice needed on the RMA front, at this moment im still waiting for a response from Ebuyer.com as its in the first 28 days, am i better off sending it back to Ebuyer or Corsair, not bother about time as i have another PSU, just want the cheapest and more important the best option?

Sorry to hear about this TAZ. Unfortunalty failure like this do happen from time to time. However since you bought it from an EBAY seller there may not be much you can do unless they are willing to refund your money or exchange the PSU. Unless they are a true Corsair distributor it would be considered buying a second hand PSU and there is a chance they would not honor any warranty.

originally posted buy RamGuy:

Well There is not a lot we can do about Ebay except suggest that you only purchase from an authorized reseller and EBAY is NOT Authorized.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110815&highlight=ebay

Another concerning RAM But still the same issue.

If you purchased that from another user like off of ebay I a sorry but the seller will have to take care of the warranty.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=90479&highlight=ebay

There are too many fakes and people that do sell units that they KNOW are defective.

However if you can get them to provide you proof that they are a legitimate Corsair dealer then it might be a different story.

no offence peanutz94, but it reads EBUYER.COM not EBAY.COM lol :) and it was brand new too, and no need to say sorry, i forgive you :)

i got my New psu from Ebuyer today

No it doesn't. you never put the .com after "ebuyer" But no worries. We see so many people that do buy from ebay i figured thats what you meant. So i'll apologize anyway ! :)

No it doesn't. you never put the .com after "ebuyer" But no worries. We see so many people that do buy from ebay i figured thats what you meant. So i'll apologize anyway ! :)

Well i was looking at one on ebay, but checked with corsair first about the warranty and if it was transferable, and they said no, so i only buy new if thats the case, not that it got me anywhere on this occasion, but least im covered :)

Taz, there is a very well known - and documented - phenomenon which has a few names but basically means the same thing the names are:

1) Infant Mortality Syndrome

2) Bathtub Curve

3) Burn In period.

What this basically means that computer devices are most likely to fail in the first few hours/days of use. The rate of failure then drops dramatically and picks up as the device gets "worn out".

Personally I always do a burn-in for my new PSUs under low load. Minimal RAM, Graphic card and boot into BIOS and leave it running there for the night.

I know this is counter-intuitive and the first thought one has is, "But it's brand new!". However, ironically, this is when computer components are at their most vulnerable.

Since I moved to the UK from Germany I have had a number of PSUs die because of electrical surges (at a rate of one every year and a half or so) until I bought my AX850 over two years ago which just recently survived a surge in our house that took out two of my neighbours PSUs and by one managed to fry the Mobo as well.

Archived